Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

@k617waist length! That's a serious goal! I'm not now a wearer of heavy hair, but I have been - I used to make two braids, then coil them together on top of my head in a braid-bun. Not the strategy for maintaining a blowout, but I used to do long training runs that way and it all stayed up off my neck. 

@fairlywell Yes! I have never had hair that long! My hair grows fairly quickly, if I don't go for a trim it averages to about an inch per month but I'm not sure if I'll be more prone to breakage once it gets longer.

I have to admit, I've rarely done anything with my hair and it's quite stubborn, so I think I might have braided my hair once or twice and wore it as a hairstyle for the day. I'll have to keep your tip for coiling braids together though!!

I haven't been around in awhile so the last time I saw a picture of your hair I think it was just barely hitting your shoulders -- your short hair is so chic and I think you wear the blunt bob better than anyone I've ever seen! But I'm really excited to see you with long hair, too, if you don't get sick of growing it out!

Aw thanks @TopazBeth! I seem to get more compliments when my hair is short, I think it suits my face shape better. I actually had long hair for many years, it wasn't until 2014 that I decided to chop it all off and wear it short (but that was before I was active on BT!)

Anonymous Insider

Great thread Jem! @jemly

My hair has a life of its own and I hate washing it. I can't wait to read through through this post later for some tips. 

I did a silly experiment of bleaching my hair to bring them a few shades lighter. Ofcourse it didn't well on over all health of my hair and gradually in an effort to get rid of damaged parts, My hair length reduced from hip long to mid back.

Today I chopper around 3 more inches so now it is just below my shoulder blades. Finally looks like all the damage is removed and I have healthy looking hair again.

@Titian06 @K617 Luckily I had a ton  of hair so after damage there is still plenty left. Lol , Though I really miss the length I had to loose.

@fatimamummy - How awful!  I'm sorry your experiment went so awry!  At least your hair will grow back.

Oh no! One time while I was still in school I decided to get one of those little home highlight kits...I went overboard with pulling hair strands through the cap, and ended up looking like I dyed my hair bronze. I was horrified.

Luckily, I was able to re-dye it a solid dark brown the next day, I used to love Garnier Nutrisse dye as it made my hair feel very healthy!

lately i've been letting it dry naturally (very curly) but then brush it out with my fingers for a more grungy dude look. i like my hair to look cool but not like i spend a lot of time on it (because if i tried to do something particularly trendy with my hair i wouldn't know what i was doing anyway !). after loosening the curls and brushing through with my fingers, i may pass a hair iron through it just to get the ends to go downward rather than curl inward and upward. i don't even "clamp down" all the way, very light pressure, but it helps everything look longer and uniform. i apply oil to the mid-through-ends daily. i shaved the back last summer and that bit is now mid-neck, if i have my hair up it looks like i have a bob !

i wash it once a week, on average. i either do devacurl or aveda no-poo, OR briogeo green tea clarifying shampoo (sulfate free). since i've started my oil-in-hair thing, i've found i use the briogeo more than i used to (once or twice a month). i always leave my devacurl condition in. i use devacurl products if i want properly curly hair to be enhanced and to hold, but lately this is the look i've been going for. i have 2 hair oils/milks on their way to me right now, i'm excited. they'll be here next week.

hair.jpg

Wow, your hair long really enhances your face shape! Very nice!

@jemly

Your hair has grown very quickly - how long it is!  I quite like the gentle curls, I think they flatter yo very much.

@jemly - I love your hair Jemly, the length, the color, and the grungy dude look!  Something for me to aspire too.  🙂

@jemly  you have gorgeous hair!! i'm a big fan of co-cleansing too. it saved my hair!

What a BABE.

Ohhhhh your hair is looking INCREDIBLE.

Your hair seems to have grown overnight!  Clearly it hasn't but it seems to have grown a foot since I last took notice!  

I'm trying the Devacurl wavemaker out this week.  I somehow managed to hoard six samples of it.  I figure it'll be easier to get through the awkward mid-neck to shoulder growth stage if I keep it wavey.  

I've recently been enjoying the bumble and bumble sea salt spray (another product I seem to have acquired many samples of) to help with creating texture so I don't have to put too much effort into my hair on the daily.  The only downside is that I have to wash it more often cause it doesn't do so well by day three.  

Grungy dude look- you're my dream bf 😍

Wow, your hair is SO LONG! I feel like we've been on this growing journey with you!

Totally agree. I feel like I never see the ends of your hair Jem!! I didn't realize how long it is now 

Thanks for this thread @jemly

My hair is huge part of "me".  I am very particular about it - and I am particularly lazy about it too.

Stuff in spoiler - I rambled a bunch

Spoiler

My hair has never been coloured, permed, or permanently straightened it.  I have had deep conditioning treatments and Brazilian blowout many times though.  

And I always wear my hair down.

I will any day spring for a spendy hair product before makeup.  Odd for someone with boring hair. 

Things I am very particular about

- No to hairspray

- No to dry shampoos

- No to any holding products, mousses, texturizers

- No to back combing my hair. 

- No to a lot of product

Someone has to pay me to do any of the above to my hair.

Length - waist-ish length (been for many many years)
Quality - My hair has become dryer with years.  Using a blow dryer hasn't helped.  I try to use moisturizing hair products..

Hair colour - My hair is a dark brown/black

Texture - It is straight-ish. 

Quantity - I used to have a ton of hair.  As I have grown older, I know I don't have as much now as I once did.

My routine - I shampoo, condition, and then towel dry for a few minutes.  Then I apply a hair oil/serum and finish off with a blow dryer. I use a round brush. 

That is about all I do to my hair, and then I go about my business.  This is my routine all year round.  A wedding, event, hospital visit - they all get the same hair.

Some products I have used and liked:

• OGX Keratin shampoo/conditioner
  • Oribe shampoo conditioner
  • Gloss Moderne - Conditioner and Gloss serum
  • Ouai - hair oil
  • Macadamia nut oil
  • Others (Pureology, Phillip B etc).

A picture of my hair - it was take a year or so ago.  Not much has changed.  I think my last hair trim shaved off one inch too much.

NT Hair.jpg

I am incredibly boring with my hair - but very particular of being boring in a very precise way.

testing