Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Show me your curls!

So the older I get, the more I embrace my curls. Or maybe it's laziness, lol. In any case, I have found that there is one unique situation that helps me have what I call a good hair day. Rain. But only about 20 seconds of drizzle - such as the amount of time it takes to run to one's car. More than that and it's a frizzy mess. So yeah, about twice a year it works out. 

What products and techniques help you get your "best" curls?

Besides today's rain, I used Wen as a leave in, along with some of the Wen replenishing spray. My main styling product is Curls Rock. Once I apply the product, I grab tiny sections of my wet hair and swirl/wrap around my finger, mostly around my face. I then use my Chi hair dryer and an inexpensive no-name diffuser from Sally's Beauty Supply to somewhat dry my hair. Once the curls are mostly formed, I flip my head upside down and basically massage my scalp to give some body to my roots. I can't mess with it too much or I'll end up frizzy with tons of fly-aways, but if I don't do some manipulating, I'll end up with "crunchy" curls. 

image.jpg

Re: Show me your curls!

I was looking for a thread on which to share about this product I just tried, and this seems like the right one.

I  have fine, curly, dry, colored hair.  In short, I don't have the nice curls I used to have years ago.  We currently have had humidity levels in the 80's the past few days and I went shopping in the rain yesterday and even that was not enough to deter the effectiveness of this product.

I used Number 4 Haircare's Sugar Spray.  First, I washed with Aveda's Rosemary Mint Shampoo, which clears out all traces of product from your hair. 

Afterwards I used Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave In Conditioner.  By itself, this is not enough to prevent frizz.

While my hair was still a little damp, I lifted it by sections from the root and sprayed with Number 4 Sugar Texturizing Spray.  Then, I tousled it with my hands, then used a hair band to hold it back from my face and let the curls fall without any weight on them from the rest of my hair.

This is the first product I have used that smoothed my curls and kept them that way.  Even today, my curls were not frizzy, but were more relaxed.  I'm so impressed!

Anonymous Insider

Oh my goodness I am so happy I found this thread! I have only been natural for about 6 months and just chopped off all the heat damage (I'll post some pictures before and after). My hair is so thick and I'm happy to have the weight off my neck- I've been watching so many videos to learn how to love my curls (after constant straightening and previous relaxers).
always use a hair mask the day before I wash my hair. I use a spray bottle I got from Amazon (water and Coconut/Avocado oil mix) to add slip as I I finger detangle while combing through the hair mask. Currently I've been using SheaMoisture hair masks-

Spoiler
Good price at Walmart/Amazon but I buy mine when Sally Beauty has a Buy2Get1 Free deal. Current one I use: http://www.sallybeauty.com/manuka-intensive-masque/SBS-476432,default,pd.html?list=Home%7cShea%20Moi...

I put my hair in a bun then wrap it (sometimes I wear a shower cap for extra help) and let it sit overnight. Now we enter the wash day- I am currently using DevaCurl's No-Poo Decadence (haven't noticed too much of a difference- everything is good here) and DevaCurl's One Condition Decadence (I am in love with the slip I get from this compared to the conditioners I was using previously and my hair feels so soft right after the shower). After I turn off the water, hair hasn't been wrung and is still soaking, I start my current styling routine. First As I Am's leave-in conditioner (not sure how long this will last but I don't use as much as I thought I would need to), SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Milk/Smoothie (these have worked so well for me and I've used them for about 4 months. Each container will last me a month and I do use quite a bit of it), and lastly Am I Am's Curling Jelly (I found I only need to dip my fingers in, rub them together, then work in sections. Very easy to use and extended my curl life!). 

For all of those styling products I rake my fingers through my hair in sections and scrunch to my scalp. I use a microfiber towel and leave my hair in it for about 30 minutes then let it air dry the rest of the way (this always takes forever). I'm loving my curls and still leaning what works best for me. Hope something helps you!Before Haircut on Day 6!Before Haircut on Day 6!After HaircutAfter Haircut

Wet Hair after Microfiber Towel 1Wet Hair after Microfiber Towel 1Wet Hair after Microfiber Towel 2Wet Hair after Microfiber Towel 2

I am having straight hair, so I have started using Indique curly hair extensions to have those voluminous curls. I am just loving it, as it looks like my natural hair.

Has anybody tried the the Deva Curl Decadence products yet? I have only tried samples of it and so far I can not tell any noticeable difference in how my hair feels or reacts to the added moisture. BTW I was curious how much of the Deva Curl Ultra gel I used when distributing the product through my hair. I used the entire 3 OZ bottle yesterday.

Hey, I am having straight hair but now I have started using Indique Curly hair extensions will look like my natural curls.

I bought the shampoo and I got a sample of the styling cream for 100 points (still available, I think).

I really like the shampoo a lot! I feel like it cleans better, yet moisturizes better as well. And it leaves my hair feeling lighter and curlier. I haven't tried the conditioner because I still have a huge amount of the original left. I also like the styling cream although I've only played with it once and that was on dry hair. It feels lighter and more hydrating than the original styling cream to me. It didn't weigh down my curls at all and gave them a softer appearance.

You used that much gel on your hair? How did that work for you? I use two pumps on my hair, maybe a half a pump extra at the crown when it's getting long and needs more lift. Was your hair super wet when you worked it through? That seems like a lot to me, but I'm not sure how long your hair is or how thick either. Mine's to the top of my shoulders. It's fine, but I have a good amount.

Anonymous Insider

I plan on buying the decadence line kit soon. I have the original nopoo and I dont feel like it cleances well  and the baby powder smell gives me a headache. Does the new one have the same kind of smell? 

No, like Loretta said, it's a faint coconut scent. It's really very pleasant.

Decadence has a faint coconut smell. My hair and scalp tends to become dry so now that I received packets of the Decadence products I will give them another try tomorrow. Hopefully this time I could come to a better conclusion.

I have the opposite problem, I have one more application of the One Condition and half a bottle of the No Poo. I received a deluxe sized sample of the No Poo Decadence and was not able to tell any difference in how my hair feels. I assumed that was because I did not put in any of the Ddecadence One Condition.

I was only able get a small sample of the Decadence One Condition from Sephora but I am unable to see any difference. I am assuming that was because I am using such a large amount of the Ultra Styling Gel. My Deva Curl Stylist recommended that I try that method because I felt that my curls were very lackluster. I only squeeze the water from my hair. I do not dry my hair with a towel so it is very wet. In fact it took 8  hours to dry before I could actually scrunch the living daylights out of it. It does look very full though.

My hair when dry is about chin length at the moment. It is wavy/ swavy depending on the individual curl. My texture is like your's Joz thin hair but a lot of it. My hair style is similar to Kelly Ripa's hair style but definitely with more curl and wave.

Because my hair's fine, I never leave the conditioner in. I always rinse it out. That's why I'm not sure I'd invest in the Decadence conditioner just yet.

I like the No-Poo, but my hair always felt just a little limp. So then I got the Low-Poo and started mixing the two — that worked better for me. I just feel like the new shampoo is the best of both worlds for my hair, though.

Have you tried B'Leave-In? It works as a volumizer on fine hair. I mix it in with the gel and then apply. Also, I think Arc AnGEL might have a slightly firmer hold than the Ultra-Defining, but don't hold me to that. If you're keeping your hair super wet, that would explain why you needed so much gel. Eight hours to dry is killer, though. I get fed up at the 4-hour mark and then hit it with the diffuser!

I believe that Low Poo and Arcangel may be discontinued. My Deva Curl stylist was the person that told me to try the Ultra Styling Gel and apply it like I described. She used the Frizz Free Volumizing Foam on my roots. I was feeling that my curls were becoming limp. I was told to not rinse the One Condition out. I bought the Deva Curl blow dryer and felt that it was taking forever to dry. My T3 blow dryer died on me earlier this year. I feel that the Deva Curl blow dryer was a regret purchase.

Really? Oh well. I guess it's a good thing I like the new products then, huh? The gel seemed like a lot, but if you're keeping your hair wet and trying to enhance the curl more, then it makes sense. I have the Volumizing Foam as well (at this point, which of their products don't I have?) and the Set Up & Above, which I sometimes use at my crown to give more lift. I find that one works better on dry hair, though, at least for me.

I have a T3, too, but I use a BioIonic Powerlight most of the time with the Devafuser. You should check that one out — good dryer!

You may have the answer to my problem! I was looking at the Bio Ionic Blow Dryer but I am waiting for the 20% off sale to purchase it. I just hope my T3 diffuser will fit the Bio Ionic Blow Dryer. I do have the B'Leave-in but only used it minimally. I agree with your statement "what Deva Curl products don't we have?"

I just looked at the Bio Ionic on Sephora. That model's a step up from the one I have but it's a bit steep on the price (I think mine was around $150 if memory serves). You might want to check Amazon. They have the 10X for significantly less, even if you add in the 20% discount. I don't know if you want the points, but you can save some serious cash and get it sooner, too.

That being said, I really like the Bio Ionics. They have long hefty cords (no breakage there), are pretty light, and have the most awesome cool shot button. I would buy another again in a heartbeat, but I don't need to right now because they have a great warranty and they last! 😄

I was very happy with my T3 dryer (the original one). I tried a newer version of the T3 but it did not compare to my original. I was thinking of using points the purchase the Bio Ionic blow dryer when I receive a 20% off coupon from Ulta. They also have a Power Light version. I need to do some research before I get stuck with another expensive regret purchase. The other problem is that I dry my hair on a low speed to avoid frizz.

Aha! The other store! Well, that explains it! 😉

I don't know anything about the 10X, but I like my Powerlight a lot. Between my T3 and the Powerlight, I think I like the Powerlight a little better. I use a the Devafuser on mine and dry at a low heat, but faster speed (since it's being diffused anyway). I am impatient.

BTW my old T3 died after 10 years. While doing my research on Bio Ionic I came across a budget blow dryer/difusser Bed Head Curlipops. It looks interesting and the price can not be beat at $34.99.

Loretta, I have this same dryer and I love it! This one, right?

upload_6666336516358834948.jpg

GPL I forgot to give you credit for posting the Curlipops. It appears interesting and very budget friendly. 

23 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos25
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • IMG_20140606_184607.jpg
  • wAVES.jpg
  • Photo May 08, 8 57 03 PM.jpg
  • curly!.JPG
  • image.jpg
  • curls.jpg
  • IMG_0126.jpg