Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Show me your curls!

So the older I get, the more I embrace my curls. Or maybe it's laziness, lol. In any case, I have found that there is one unique situation that helps me have what I call a good hair day. Rain. But only about 20 seconds of drizzle - such as the amount of time it takes to run to one's car. More than that and it's a frizzy mess. So yeah, about twice a year it works out. 

What products and techniques help you get your "best" curls?

Besides today's rain, I used Wen as a leave in, along with some of the Wen replenishing spray. My main styling product is Curls Rock. Once I apply the product, I grab tiny sections of my wet hair and swirl/wrap around my finger, mostly around my face. I then use my Chi hair dryer and an inexpensive no-name diffuser from Sally's Beauty Supply to somewhat dry my hair. Once the curls are mostly formed, I flip my head upside down and basically massage my scalp to give some body to my roots. I can't mess with it too much or I'll end up frizzy with tons of fly-aways, but if I don't do some manipulating, I'll end up with "crunchy" curls. 

image.jpg

Re: Show me your curls!

Here are my curls! I don't really have any particular techniques except putting my product in when my hair is damp and scrunching upwards. Products that I LOVE are American Cream conditioner, Zeste styling gelly (discontinued 😞 ), and R&B leave in conditioner from LUSH Cosmetics. My current shampoo is Fairly Traded Honey from LUSH but I'm also obsessed with Curly Wurly (same company, can you tell I worked at LUSH for 2 years?)

1926756_10200685155407985_5774527521607638994_n.jpg

I had missed this post!  Great hair, no doubt, but your eyes are stunning! And what are you wearing on your lips? 😀

I'm pretty committed to Wen for my shampoo/conditioner but I'll try any styling product. Does Lush make any styling products?

Thanks so much! My lip color is probably the lipstick and lipgloss from the 50 shades of grey collection (which came in the bigger set) but I don't know for sure, since I took this pic in June at the beginning of my internship 🙂

I can get some exact names for you once I'm home, I'm goofing off in class right now.

LUSH does sell styling products, but unfortunately the only one that has ever worked for me (Zeste) just got discontinued! I'm using one of the Ouidad styling products now, but it just isn't the same.

I want to show a before and after, except it's more of a left-side / right-side. I bought the sephora favorites set for hair, and pulled out the Dry Bar Hot Toddy to try. I pulled out a section to sample on, because my city is due to have rain the next few days, so there is no point in straightening my whole head. Anywho... I applied the product and used a round bristle brush. This section is so soft, smooth and shiny and I am really impressed with the product. This is the first Dry Bar product for me. While taking advantage of the bonus points, I also ordered the dry bar set that has the curlers and hair pins. So... There are so many products - I'm not sure what order to use them. If you have tips, please share!

image.jpg

image.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/hot-toddy-heat-protector-frizz-fighter-P378174?skuId=1647171

I was going through my pictures on my iPad and wanted to share some picks of one of my boys curls. The oldest had curls for his first year and then they went away. 😭. But my youngest son has always had his curls. I don't usually share pictures of my kids on social media, but one of these is from when he was a baby and it's just too cute. :). I use Wen to style his hair. 

If any of you have ideas on cuts and/or styles for boys with curls, I'd love to see them! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

adorable ! and a great cut ! i always advise people who have curly hair but want a shorter style to just ensure the sides are kept tight and short compared to whatever is going on up top. keeps everything looking modern and fresh (i find "poofy" sides immediately look dated and are usually rather unflattering as it doesn't do a face or the beauty of the hair justice***). and often, when the sides are shorter, it can allow the longer hair up top to fall in a beautiful, relaxed way.

***with the exception of ittyxbittyxme below, because she looks stunning and kick a** !!. it's a general idea, clearly not for all !!!!!

He ends up looking like a Q-tip if I don't keep the sides short...  And yes, dated - I was picturing Richard Simons hair!

image.jpg

Wash 'n go, which I normally never do because they never turn out right, but it turned out wonderfully! As I Am Curling Jelly made me a happy girl. Other then that, still looking for something to make my curls pop.

IMG_0126.jpg

So beautiful! So shiny and healthy and not to mention you just look totally hot! A confident, classy sexiness. 😄

Looks nice!

I use Kinky Curly Knot Today with Kinky Curly Curling Custard. It gives me great curl definition and holds my wash n go for a week. I just wet it daily to refresh it. 

Finding wash n go products that work for you takes a lot of trial and error.

Best wishes!

#teamnatural

I feel like when I tried that combo it made my hair so goopy. But I may have used to much as I am very heavy handed, which I'm trying to work on when it comes to my hair. I'll give it a shot! Or well, maybe. I'm thinking about getting my hair braided after next week but that's a big 'we'll see'.

I've been using Miss Jessie's Coily Custard for the past couple of months and although our hair types are different, I think this will work even better for you than it does for me, and I love it.

"Transforming frizzy 'fros to soft curls; Fighting curl shrinkage & Wash n Go styling......a slippery emulsion that coats each frizzy strand with a dose of super moisture and shine that enhances and defines your curl pattern, reduces frizz & fights curl shrinkage...."

Ingedients:

Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethycellulose, Xanthan Gum, Chondrus Crispus (carrageenan), Pectin, Iodopropynyl, Butylcarbamate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Fragrance, Diazolidnyl Urea, Agave American Leaf Extract

Good luck finding things that work.

This definitely is working well for you. Very beautiful, healthy looking hair.

Thx so much for sharing, especially for including the ingredients. Although the recommendation is to ittybitty, I will look into it too. I definitely have shrinkage.

Out of the 6 of us I'm the only one that inherited my dad's outrageously curly hair. I absolutely hated them all through out middle school and half way through high school. Now I usually have my hair pulled back into a bun or in a braid. I don't yet have the courage to let my curls run free lol. 

I'm an only child from my mom, but I have 4 half-siblings from my dad, the curly culprit! Each of us got curly hair, and the type of curl is dramatically different amongst each of us. One of my sisters has very kinky curls that she styles straight 99% of the time. Another sister is all about natural products and her hair is curliest at the root, loosest at the ends and because of her bp aural ways, her hair tends to be fluffy. My hair is curliest at the ends and straightest at the root. 

You're beautiful StephaniLynn; I hope one day you'll let those curls fly free in the wind..

Until then, you still look great with a bun/ponytail/braid

this is slept on and now wind-swept. but it's not long enough that it 'falls' rather than sticks out / up. wheee ! 

my favorite curl enhancing cream i've tried is AVEDA be curly enhancing cream. still needs something for "hold" but this stuff is absolutely wonderful. can't wait until my hair is longer and i can try so many of the wonderful curly hair products that are on the market now--seems like a totally different game than what was around 10+ years ago (the last time i had long hair).

bowie approved.

curls.jpg

See! You can pull off the best rocker curls with that length. When my hair was shoulder length, I just looked like an adult Annie, and not in a cute way. Not quite as curly as Annie, but more like the ball-like circumference. I had one bad cut about 15 years ago that had me looking like that triangle haired girl from Dilbert.

image.jpg

Your hair is fabulous. I want perfect curls like that sometimes. ♥_♥

LOVE the before and after screen shot from one of the videos that Sephora posted on the bottom of this product page. 

http://www.sephora.com/curl-defining-styling-cream-P392503?keyword=LIVING%20PROOF%20Curl%20Defining%...image.jpg

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos25
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • IMG_20140606_184607.jpg
  • wAVES.jpg
  • Photo May 08, 8 57 03 PM.jpg
  • curly!.JPG
  • image.jpg
  • curls.jpg
  • IMG_0126.jpg