Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Show me your curls!

So the older I get, the more I embrace my curls. Or maybe it's laziness, lol. In any case, I have found that there is one unique situation that helps me have what I call a good hair day. Rain. But only about 20 seconds of drizzle - such as the amount of time it takes to run to one's car. More than that and it's a frizzy mess. So yeah, about twice a year it works out. 

What products and techniques help you get your "best" curls?

Besides today's rain, I used Wen as a leave in, along with some of the Wen replenishing spray. My main styling product is Curls Rock. Once I apply the product, I grab tiny sections of my wet hair and swirl/wrap around my finger, mostly around my face. I then use my Chi hair dryer and an inexpensive no-name diffuser from Sally's Beauty Supply to somewhat dry my hair. Once the curls are mostly formed, I flip my head upside down and basically massage my scalp to give some body to my roots. I can't mess with it too much or I'll end up frizzy with tons of fly-aways, but if I don't do some manipulating, I'll end up with "crunchy" curls. 

image.jpg

Re: Show me your curls!

Jazzy14 posted a thread about the Living Proof curl products line. Have any of you tried it?? The photos that jazzy14 posted are beautiful and now I'm curious about the line...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/Living-Proof-Curl-Leave-In-Conditioner-New-Holy-Grail-Hair/td-p...

RE: Re: Show me your curls!

This was taken moments after jumping into a freshwater cave and getting kicked by a horse. Needless to say, these are my natural curls!

lol. You look awesome, and happy, after that incident! I fell off a horse when I was about 8. That was the end of my interest. 😉 The place you are at looks incredible!  So I see you use a protectant spray - do you diffuse your curls or let them air dry? I used to have a super skinny curling iron I'd spot use. Funny how I complete forgot that as an option. Thanks for sharing!

Haha thanks, and I always let them air dry!

Forgot to mention the products I use for my hair!

Alterna bamboo smooth kendi oil, dry oil mist, dry oil micro mist, and thermal protectant spray.

I also really like the josie maran hair serum and pure coconut oil works wonders too!

For tools I use the amika 4p curling iron wand if my curls are going crazy.

If you tell me that's your natural lip color too I'm gonna have to hunt you down like a dog. My god, girl, you're gorgeous! You're probably really nice, too! Ugh! 😄

Hahaha oh my goodness, you're too funny. And yeah it is, thanks girl 🙂

Well, of course it is.... 😉

I have naturally curly hair and like you, hadtotryit, I finally started embracing my natural curls a couple of years ago, probably around my 30th birthday. For YEARS I would blow dry and flat iron my hair. I kept it shorter so it was easier because my hair used to be super thick. Now I've let my hair grow past my shoulders and I love my curls. I don't know how well they show in my profile pic, but here's another one from last year when my hair was a bit shorter. 

I wash my hair only a few times a week and apply a hair mask 2-3 times a week as well. My hair is actually in very nice condition, especially when you consider how much damage I've done to it with dyes and heat. But I digress. 🙂

Over the years I've tried TONS of products for curly hair. I finally have a combination that works excellent for me. I only pat dry my hair after the shower. While it's still wet, I apply Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Oil, starting at the ends and working up toward the scalp, without getting it on my actual scalp. I then spray a leave-in condition or UV protectant spray. I alternate between L'Oreal Color Vibrancy Root To Tip Fixer (since I have color treated hair) and DevaCurl Set It Free Moisture Lock. I then apply a pump to a pump and a half of L'Oreal Curve It Curl Taming Cream. I blow dry my hair upside down with a diffuser to get some of the moisture out and to add volume to the roots. I blow dry my bangs straight because they are short. Then after I put my makeup on, I finish with another spray to fix any frizz or flyaways I created when I was drying my hair. My all-time favorite was by Fekkai but it's since been discontinued. But my current holy grail curl spray is a cheapie I get at CVS for around $6. It's called PureShine Spray-It Curly. It is perfect for touch ups throughout the day too. I also like Mist-er Right from DevaCurl, but the PureShine one works better for me and is cheaper. It helps revive my curls without making them crunchy.

Photo May 08, 8 57 03 PM.jpg(It was hard for me to find a good pic at work of my curls. Can't take one today because it's pulled back in a bun. 🙂 )

Lovely curls! Beautiful smile! I love your dimple. So I had to laugh as I was reading your post... Isn't it just crazy the steps we go through???  Drives me crazy that some days I can do EXACTLY what I did the day before, but my hair comes out different. Not just in style but like in how soft, or crunchy or full or flat. I love when someone says... "Nice hair day, you should do it like that again tomorrow." Uhhhh. I will try! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I totally know what you mean. I try to use the same product and dry my hair the same way, but one day it will be great and then next day it will be a flat, frizzy mess. Curly hair definitely takes work to make it look good. That's probably why I used to hope I'd go to sleep one night and wake up with straight hair the next morning. But now I'm ok with my curls. Luckily my daughter had my experience to go from with her curls. Because my mom just didn't know what to do with my hair when I was young and it was cray cray. Which is funny since she has curly hair as well. Oh well. We live we learn! 🙂

I have secret waves. Most people don't know I have naturally wavy hair... unless they see me in some serious humidity or a sudden downpour! 😄

wAVES.jpg

^Here's me looking like Grumplestiltskin with my hair air drying. haha.

I don't often wear my hair wavy unless I'm at home and/or I know it'll be muggy out. But I feel like my hair looks the best when I don't mess with it. So I just use a leave in conditioner and sometimes a UV spray or some Bumble and Bumble and then I don't touch it.

Secret curls! I love that! I was just asking a coworker how she got her hair so smooth, as I've always known her with curly hair. She replied that her hair has always been straight, she's permed it the last 20 years. I was like what????

Ha! I let my hair go curly today because it was supposed to be humid and I got the completely opposite reaction! I blow dry pretty much every day and today I tried out the DevaCurl Cream sample I had (thanks again for the rec Killah!) and it got even curlier. I am channeling my inner poodle. 😄

Killah! I never would've guessed! Quite different from your usual pic.

I've got the same thing going on, but mine actually is getting curlier as I get older (and unfortunately frizzier, too). I still haven't found the right curly hair goo to make mine behave so I feel more comfortable being seen that way. I've been scoping out DevaCurl......

SK (Sparklekai) has curly hair and she loves DevaCurl! She wears her hair curly a lot and I definitely trust her judgment so you should probably give it a try 😄

OK, here's a picture of me with the DevaCurl in (that, plus the rainy weather today). Ignore my glowing nose, please!curly!.JPG

Hi cute stuff!

Hey there! Wow, you were looking at the way back threads, huh?

You look amazing, joz! Loving that lip color, and DevaCurl really seems to be treating your curly hair well, because it looks beautiful. My hair is flat as can be in comparison!

Thanks Lari! The husband and boys are on a boy scout camp out leaving me at home alone with my makeup to keep me company. You should have seen me a little before I took this picture... total drag queen! The lipstick is Buxom Scoundrel. It's much more blue-red than this in real life.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos25
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • IMG_20140606_184607.jpg
  • wAVES.jpg
  • Photo May 08, 8 57 03 PM.jpg
  • curly!.JPG
  • image.jpg
  • curls.jpg
  • IMG_0126.jpg