Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Show me your curls!

So the older I get, the more I embrace my curls. Or maybe it's laziness, lol. In any case, I have found that there is one unique situation that helps me have what I call a good hair day. Rain. But only about 20 seconds of drizzle - such as the amount of time it takes to run to one's car. More than that and it's a frizzy mess. So yeah, about twice a year it works out. 

What products and techniques help you get your "best" curls?

Besides today's rain, I used Wen as a leave in, along with some of the Wen replenishing spray. My main styling product is Curls Rock. Once I apply the product, I grab tiny sections of my wet hair and swirl/wrap around my finger, mostly around my face. I then use my Chi hair dryer and an inexpensive no-name diffuser from Sally's Beauty Supply to somewhat dry my hair. Once the curls are mostly formed, I flip my head upside down and basically massage my scalp to give some body to my roots. I can't mess with it too much or I'll end up frizzy with tons of fly-aways, but if I don't do some manipulating, I'll end up with "crunchy" curls. 

image.jpg

Re: Show me your curls!

Your curls look great, Jozkid! I'm glad the Devacurl is working for you! 😄

It's kinda scary seeing just how curly my hair is now (but not as scary as that glowing nose!)

I actually went out tonight and bought a few more items from their line in smaller sizes to see how they work for me. I have some Ouidad products that I need to use up still, but I'm looking forward to playing! Thanks again for the enabling! 🙂

Simply beautiful! And your hair color! Love it. So I'm bummed that I haven't had as much luck with deva curl. I will keep trying though. Last time I put it in and let it "set" instead of using my diffuser. My hair was super soft, but my curls were too frizzy. My next attempt is going to be to try both the creme and the gel.... I've tried each independently of each other.  What was your technique?? 

Oh, my! Thank you so much, hadtotryit! Especially on the hair color, 'cause I don't color my hair. That's probably the grays reading like a highlight! I seriously have Bride of Frankenstein streaks at the temples! 😄

I don't know that I really have a technique since this is only the second time I've used the stuff, but... here's what I did. I used a shampoo lylysa suggested, SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine shampoo. Then I conditioned with my usual Biosilk conditioner and rinsed that out. Then I put in a glob of Ouidad Leave-In conditioner. 

I only had a sample of the DevaCurl creme, so I slathered that on and used a diffuser the first time. The second time, I used the creme, but blow dried my hair at the crown and front lightly to get a bit more height. I also used some clips to give some selective height in places. And then I let it dry naturally and tried not to touch it. I think it turned out better the second time.

I really am new to this curly hair stuff. My hair's always had a lot of body and been wavy-ish, but I've been blowing out for years. It's just been the last couple years that's it's gotten this kind of curl. I think it's a combination of having more layers, having more grays (more wiry and curlier in texture), and also better curly-hair products. This look is taking some getting used to. I really want to love the curls, but it is a little out of my comfort zone. I have a haircut appointment today and am going in with the curls so he can take a look at them and make suggestions (I hope he doesn't drop dead of a heart attack first!). I'll let you know if I get any stellar suggestions! Thanks again for the lovely comments!

BTW, you should try going to mydevacurl online. They have a ton of videos with product and technique suggestions that I found really helpful.

Oh yes! I could tell that your hair color is natural! I love love love that you are embracing your color! I am almost 40 and the grey is really coming in. I've noticed that my grey hair is even more unruly! I can't imagine what it would be like if I went with the flow. I guess it might all end up consistent. I'm not ready to find out. 

How did your haircut go? Any dramatic changes??  And thank you for the reference to that website!

The haircut went well! I asked him for something I could wear both straight and curly. It's pretty similar to what I had before, but with more layers to lighten up the curls. I went in to the salon curly on Saturday so he could see it (I've been going to this place for close to 20 years). They always knew it had body so they figured it would be wavy, but he had NO idea! He just stood and stared at me... pretty amusing actually! I've always blown it out!

As for the gray, I'm 53, so... it's there. I don't have anything against coloring. I actually used to when I didn't have gray, just for fun. But I just don't want to start and become a slave to it. Even he told me I'd have to come in every month for touchups. He told me not to bother! Glad the site helped. I found it really useful.

This is my hair on a regular spring day.

IMG_20140606_184607.jpg

My everyday routine is Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner, followed by Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel and I use their "Rake and Shake" method. I always air dry my hair with the Ouidad Curl Clips in at the roots for added volume. I feel any time heat is used on my hair, my curls get really dried out and frizzy.

When my hair is mostly dry, I flip my head over, use some hairspray on my roots, right now it's Garnier Fructis Volumizing Anti-Humidity Hairspray, and then shake my curls out, using my fingers to gently lift at the roots.

Love it! And love the color!!  I can tell your hair would be soft to the touch! And springy... You know, when you pull a curl (and gain like 4 inches in length) and let it go so it springs! And I agree on your lip color, so pretty on you.

i know this is a hair thread but what are you wearing on your lips? it ooks so natural and pretty!

Ohhh thank you!

It's a Chanel Glossimer in Sirop, which sadly has been discontinued. It's hard to tell from the lighting in this picture, but it's a really pretty, sheer peachy coral. It is my go-to gloss for Spring/Summer. Thankfully I have two unopened tubes, as I tend to overbuy when I really love something 🙂

This is a great thread, Hadtotryit! I would post a picture of my curls, but they're only about 3 inches ling now - not really long enough to show their true colors. I can't wait to see what everyone else does with their manes.

Is your hair curliest at the ends, or the roots? My is at my ends. My 1/2 sister is completely opposite, so tight at the roots that even when it's short she has tons of curls. 

We just had a rainy day on Thursday and I don't bother doing anything sleek with my hair if it's raining or humid. Here's what my hair does with a leave-in conditioner and some salt spray...

image.jpg

Salt spray?? I'm clueless. 🙂 Love your curls. They look so soft!  But really noticed your beautiful eyelashes!

Conversation Stats
Photos25
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • IMG_20140606_184607.jpg
  • wAVES.jpg
  • Photo May 08, 8 57 03 PM.jpg
  • curly!.JPG
  • image.jpg
  • curls.jpg
  • IMG_0126.jpg
  • image.jpg