SilveryPink

Shampoo for sensitive scalp?

(0) Hearts

Ive been meaning to ask, but does anyone here have a really sensitive scalp, and if so, what shampoo and conditioner do you use? Most shampoos irritate my scalp, causing discomfort. Any help is appreciated, and feel free to suggest high or low end products. Thank you!

Clakent

Re: Shampoo for sensitive scalp?

(0) Hearts

Sulfate and sodium free shampoo, like pro naturals argan oil shampoo. My scalp gets irritated and flaky easily and I switched to sulfate free salon products and found this one, it's highly recommended.

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I recommend Deva - but also, I had scalp issues (what I thought was 'dry,' sensitive, flakey scalp but I think was actually seborrheic dermatitis).

I tried every shampoo out there - Deva came close but didn't eliminate my scalp issues.  I tried every natural, sulfate-free, highest end ($50 and up a bottle!), everything.

Shampoos only made things way worse, as did conditioner actually.

I went no-poo with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

Wash a few times a week with 1-2 tablespoons of BS dissolved in two cups water.  Scrub on scalp then rinse.  Do a final rinse with 1-2 tablespoons ACV in two cups water.

Once in a while (less than once a month) I apply raw egg, or coconut milk,  as a hair mask to avoid getting too dried out, but this is not essential -- just if you find your hair getting dry.  I also use plain jojoba poil very lightly on my ends as a leave in conditioner.

This cleared my scalp issues COMPLETELY in two weeks, and I've been clear for three years.  Could never go back!

chupi

(0) Hearts

I am a couple of weeks in The No 'Poo method (thanks to ladies on BT). Once I week I use a sulfate-free shampoo. I'm not sure if it works for everyone, but Google it. My scalp has improved 100%.

carolang

(0) Hearts

Aveda Scalp Benefits is nice, very herbaly smell and it's currently the only shampoo smell that I have that lingers after a shower but I quite like the smell. 

LCResz

(0) Hearts

Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo! I get patches of dermatitis on my hairline, but when I use this shampoo it clears up after a few uses. I alternate between this shampoo and Phytheol Intense Anti-Dndruff Shampoo. I also use Ouidad Mediterranean Bay Leaf Hair and Scalp Treatment once a week and Josie Maran Argan Hot Oil Self-Heating Hair Treatment monthly. My hair has never been so bouncy and shiny, but more importantly my scalp has been behaving itself and I can wear black tops without worry!

celesh

I second sulfate free shampoos, some people have trouble getting adjusted to the change, but if you stick with it you will see the results.

If not, have you tried baby shampoo?

SilveryPink

(0) Hearts

Baby shampoo, like Johnson and Johnson? Ive seen it, and that might be good, since its for babies. Off topic a bit, but do you know if baby soap is ok to use on your face? My friend recommended, but im not sure..

mayabee

I use Neutrogena anti-residue as my only shampoo. There is nothing natural about it but it is the only shampoo i know that doesn't irritate my scalp (eczema). Supposedly they will eliminate the formaldehyde in it by next year but I probably still won't use it on my daughter. Instead of conditioner i apply a generous amount of plain jojoba oil to scalp and hair right before i shampoo. Conditioners seem much more irritating than shampoos. It took me years to figure this out so i hope it helps you :smileyhappy:

sunny0501

Let me pass along a tip. Go to essentialwholesale.com. This is a company that sells primarily to distributors who will label the product as their own brand. They use high quality ingredients and have several paraben, sulfate and fragrance-free options. You can buy 16-ounce sizes. And many of their products end up in (hello!) Sephora as well as at Whole Foods. I have super sensitive skin and a sensitive scalp. I don't even want to count the number of products I've tried in my life ... 

missey1973

I just took my son the  Dermatologist on Wednesday. He is 14 and has skin and scalp issues. He has super sensitive scalp and his poor head was all a mess. The Dr. suggested he use a shampoo by Aveeno. We have not tried it yet so I don't know how well it works.

SilveryPink

(0) Hearts

I think i will try that if it doesn't get better, because lately, my scalp has been bleeding occasionally and my dermatologist is great. I use a shampoo that smells a bit medicine, so therefore my hair smells like that too.

veronika23

I'd look into the Phyto or Ojon.  They make some great hair products.  I haven't tried everything from both companies but what I did try I liked :smileyhappy:

ladymeag

My household has a host of issues - colored hair, dry hair, oily hair, fine hair, eczema, sebum control issues (that is, oily dandruff-like stuff when the balance isn't right,) irritation, itchiness, and so on. As someone else suggested, try looking for a sulfate-free shampoo, it seems to help the most with scalp irritation. DevaCurl has a nice line of products you can get in mini-sizes to try out. 

SilveryPink

That sounds like my household, a myriad of troubles. Im pretty sure everybody has their own shampoo and conditioner, and just about everything else. Im not exactly sure what sulfate does, could you explain? Thank you!

ladymeag

Sure! Sulfates in shampoos are primarily foaming agents, so they are what give you all that pretty lather when you wash your hair. It's a surfactant that's commonly used as a grease cutter and drying agent in dish soap, as well.

For your skin, this means that it strips out healthy oils and leaves you with the "squeaky" clean - it carries away the natural healthy oils, along with the dirt, dead skin, and product you're probably trying to remove from your hair.

As a response, your scalp will often produce more oil, trying to protect itself. You can develop sebum control issues, which can lead to that kind of oily-dandruff-like-stuff some people have trouble with. If your skin doesn't respond by producing more oil, you're left with dry, flaky, cracking, sometimes bleeding skin. 

Sulfate-free shampoos usually don't lather like those that contain sulfates but they're doing the work you need them to do without the work you don't want them to do. In the period of initial transition, your scalp may still be protecting itself, so you can have a few weeks where your hair feels oilier than normal - if you keep up with sulfate-free washing, this should clear up. Many people find their hair is softer, less prone to splitting, and less dry once they're sulfate-free. 

I hope that's helpful!  (And actually, with sulfate-free shampoos that are wheat-and-soy free, we can all use the same stuff - my shower's never looked simpler!)

Teresaanne92

I have these spurts with my scalp being sensitive like crazy. Those times I use Selsun blue (the medicated kind. feels so nice and cooling!), my boyfriends Axe shampoo (seriously I will use this on a weekly basis because it's amazing....hahaha), or Aussie. :smileyhappy: Usually shampoos will make my scalp itch or burn, but those three really don't. Tresseme moisture rich is also okay on me IF I rotate between the other shampoos. :smileyhappy:

SilveryPink

Aussie conditioner is and smells nice! I went through this period when i had the most complicated hair product rotation regime. Now, thinking back on it, its pretty funny.

Teresaanne92

(0) Hearts

I know! I need a HG shampoo/conditioner. :smileywink: haha I loooooove Aussie's conditioner, the shampoo is just okay, IMO but it's good when I rotate them. Darn skincare regime have to be so darn complicated! lol I need simplicity in my life. :smileyhappy:

AllyKatVA

You might try something sulfate-free, those are often gentler. I know L'Occitane carries a line for sensitive scalps, it has a purple label.

MissPandette

I find The Body Shop's Rainforest Shine shampoo to be awesome for a sensitive scalp. Just the Shine version... the Rainforest line has a few other varieties too, but other ones aren't as good on me for some reason. As for conditioner, I don't have any specific recommendations. I've used Pantene for years and it works for me, but I don't put conditioner on my scalp, just the ends of my hair. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • chupi
    • celesh
    • ladymeag
    • veronika23
    • MissPandette
    • carolang