lovebaking123

Satin/Silk Pillowcases

I was told that silk pillowcases help keep down the frizz when you're sleeping so when you wake up, your hair is less frizzy. To anyone who has tried this, does it work? If it does, what are some good brands that are available in Canada for this? 

carolang

Re: Satin/Silk Pillowcases

(0) Hearts

I couldn't do it, I hated the feeling, especially if you have an entire sheet set I kept slipping around and losing my comforter to the floor too much. 

I prefer sateen... It's woven the way a satin pillowcase would be but uses cotton instead of silk. A good medium for those of us that don't like silk.

My esthitician said she can tell what side people sleep on... So I try to sleep on my back to avoid crinkling the delicate eye area for the entire night!

lovebaking123

Okay so mixed experiences. Maybe trying a cheaper one might give a better idea. The one at Sally Beauty got fairly good reviews and it's only ten dollars. Even if it only helps a little bit, I'd be really grateful because my hair is a frizzy mess even with deep conditioner and Moroccan oil once a week.  

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

Moroccan oil may be sitting on your hair rather than absorbing. Bumble and Bumble's hairdresser's invisible oil actual absorbs, is lightweight, and smooths frizz.

kalex

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the heads-up on this!  For a mere $10 I'll give it a try.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Haven't noticed with sheets, as I sleep with hair up. Instead I've found using a microfiber towel after washing hair works to grab the excess moisture and helps with frizz. Bought from Bed Bath and Beyond - they come in bright colors and neutrals, may not say microfiber but they are.

mafan

(0) Hearts

I just want to know where I can buy decent silk sheets, regardless of what they'd do for my hair.  We had some that were decadent to sleep on (and a really good price from Home Goods) but used them until we wore them out.  Now all I seem to find are really thin silk or not very nice sounding.  I want sheets as sturdy as cotton ones.

Just something that I dream about at times.  They were warm in winter, cool in summer, and just wonderful!

bratknits

(0) Hearts

LLBean still makes silk long underwear, amazingly warm in the winter under clothes or just as sleepwear.

Corrina777

(0) Hearts

I usually use a silk pillowcase, but occasionally rotate in a cotton or cotton/microfiber pillowcase if I can't pick up laundry the same day I drop it off. I rarely do second day hair (personal preference combined with intense workout schedule), but I can see a noticeable difference in frizz between the different pillowcase. I also use a 90s style fabric scrunchy and do a ponytail on top of my head overnight (affectionately called a pineapple on the hair boards). So any frizz from the pillowcase ends up on the underside of my hair.

pinkonyx

I am a satin pillow case fan. Honestly its not a matter of if, I would argue its a matter of fact. Think about what cotton is, its absorbent and the way it is threaded make it ruff (on the microscopic level), thus it is always absorbing your natural oils, and ruffing up your hair. Have you ever gone shopping for a sleeping bonnet? They are always satin and that's because satin is easier on the hair. The way the fibers of polyester are sewn (to create satin) are gentle on the hair plus they are not particularly absorbent which mean your naturals oils stay put. I think you should definitely give it a try. just think about towels are made of cotton to absorb water and moisture, and sleeping caps are made of satin to preserve your style. So which one would you want rubbing against your hair at night?

*you can buy them at your local sally beauty I know they have those in canada

dianabt

This is interesting, I was told that satin and silk pillowcases will help against wrinkles, but now that I think about it they COULD be good for your hair! I'm notorious for having frizzy hair that just does not want to smooth itself- I add a lot of smoothing serums and usually pin my hair up to prevent more frizzies. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

two birds with one stone, wrinkles gone and frizz too. 

bratknits

(0) Hearts

I think it's mostly malarkey with the exception of a brushed material like flannel.  Flannel has a lot of extra surface area to create drag and static because the surface of the fabric is brushed during the process. 

Satin fabrics are created by floating some threads across the surface before returning to the underside.  While this gives a smooth and shiny surface to the hand it also makes it much more likely to catch and pill than a regular woven fabric.  Better than flannel but because of the looseness of the threads not as good as a normal weave.

Cotton or silk regular weave fabric are pretty much the same in this case.  Both wick moisture and both can create static in dry conditions.  Silk threads are finer than cotton so they're usually woven at a pretty high thread count but you can get the same high thread count in a cotton and it will be just as smooth and even have a bit of a sheen.

Best bet, a nice easy to clean cotton pillow case with a thread count of 400-600.

warriorwitch

Raw silk is naturally, anti bacterial or anti microbial, or something like that, would probably be a good thing to rub your face on at night but one pretty expensive pillow case.

kalex

(0) Hearts

I've also heard that satin pillow cases are "anti-aging".  I'm not sure how much I buy into that either.  I recall reading something about cotton pillowcases causing lines and indentations (which has happened to me more than once). I know that as we get older our skin takes longer to bounce back or plump back up from those creases but that's not exactly "anti-aging" as the creases are still only temporary.

Good to know others haven't noticed a difference with their hair.  I've looked at satin cases but hadn't gotten around to buying one.  Now I won't!

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

I noticed a difference with mine, my hair is bast my waist, and very healthy. Maybe give it a try one day. :smileyhappy:

kalex

(0) Hearts

Do you have a brand you'd recommend?  Maybe I'll go the way of Mafan and get a whole sheet set.

midnightangel

It doesn't keep down the frizz - it helps prevent breakage and tangles, and also helps retain moisture.

Cotton pillowcases absorb moisture from the hair and dry it out. Flannel is the worst culprit.

Hair also "catches" on cotton/flannel pillowcases, causing it to tangle more easily, whereas it slides against satin.

Cotton can also lift & rough up the "shingles" on the outer layer of hair, called the cuticle. That can cause dullness and breakage.

Satin does not do this. It slips & slides against the hair - no friction.

For several years I belonged to long hair cults, ahem, communities and most of the members owned satin pillowcases & sheets. Flannel of any kind was absolutely shunned.

But to be honest, satin is not the most practical of materials, and as long as the surface of your sheets is smooth, you're fine.

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

My hair is down past my waist probably 23 inches, and i use satin cases. I did not know there was communities for this. Interesting.

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

Oh yes there are!

The ones I belonged to are now defunct but the huge ones are still around. I can PM a few links if you would like. But personally I'm glad to be out of it.

melissabt

Hi lovebaking123,

I  tried this for awhile too and I did not notice a difference at all. I also felt that a cotton pillow case was more comfortable.

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • kalex
    • dianabt
    • melissabt
    • mafan
    • midnightangel