arielaaaaaaaa

Salon Brands vs Drugstore Brands.

As a hairstylist, i'm always interested in what every thinks in regards to Salon Brand hair products vs drugstore products. I presonally have always used Salon Brands, Mainly Redken. But i recently quit my job and am cutting back on things, and with Haircare i decided to venture out into drugstore brands. I know many people who love Suave's Professionals line, So I got the Sleek Shampoo and Conditioner.  And I found it wasn't any different than Salon brands, My hair wasn't any worse or better. I have tried countless Salon brands and i can honestly say i don't think if they are worth the price. I get the same results no matter what the brand. Although Deep conditioners are the one things i think a salon brand like Redken and Biolage are worth the price! Amazing results. But i'm interested in what every thinks and have tried and how you would compare. 

beautylovingirl

Re: Salon Brands vs Drugstore Brands.

I don't remember if I have ever used a drug store brand, not sure that  I have, I used Pureology  products and then found my HG shampoo and conditioner from Kerastase.

onomotopoeia9

I went from drug-store pert to fekkai, and saw a difference. But I still don't think fekkai is worth the price. I tried many others (redken, biolage, etc.) and I finally found my favorite shampoo / conditioner regimen: John Frieda Brilliant Brunette. I love how it makes my hair look, feel, and smell, and it is worth the price!

starletta8

I actually haven't used a drugstore product on my hair in 19 years!

That said, I've been paying for my hair to be professionally colored for 15 of those, so it makes sense.  Right now I'm trying Bumble and Bumble after being loyal to Aveda for 10+ years.

sammiebaby

(0) Hearts

I haven't really used many drugstore brands cuz I have a dry scalo and most shampoos and conditioners irritate my skin cuz there's sometimes a fragrance.  I also will never go use Panteen again!  It makes my hair so heavy and flat to my head.  The only 3 brands I've used are Organix, Head and Shoulders, and John Freida.  But I love the Paul Mitchell and Sexy Hair products.  Anytime they go on sale at ulta I get them.  I'm in cosmetology school now and we use Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Shampoo and I just love the way hair feels afterward.  From John Freida I use the brilliant brunette liquid shine color glaze and I haven't found anythimg that compares.   

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I only use natural shampoo so most drugstore and salon hair products are out of the question for me. I use DermOrganic and Giovanni, I buy the 1 L jumbo pump bottles from marshalls or tjmaxx. I never understood why salon products are so expensive, just because its "sulfate free" that doesnt justify the horrific price tag, especially when drugstore products are doing that now as well.

arielaaaaaaaa

Yeah, I love DermOrganic, I thought it was really nice!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Since I've been changing my haircolor since I was in my teens, I grew up on salon products.

I stick with Aveda, with the occasional Redken purchase.

DTalksAll

I stay away from Panteen at all costs, some of their adds & lines & are tempting, but I know it's all a lie. 

I like Nioxin, and haven't found a drugstore equivalent, luckily I can find it at TJmaxx & ulta on sale.  

Suave is decent & so is Clear scalp. 

I buy Argan oil from harrmons or sallys, but most of my other serums, treatments, dry shampoo, styling... is from brands like Phyto, Bumble & Bumble, Living Proof & Alterna. They last forever though, I don't style my hair often & wash it only 2-3x a week. 

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

I know a lot of people who say that pantene leaves a film and makes their hair fall out.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I really don't like Pantene! there are some brands I find just horrible. I would never touch suave before the professionals line. I find it decent.

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

my colorist won't touch hair that Panten was used on until they used a clarifying treatment. All that wax does make your hair shiny & make it LOOK "healthy" but it's really just adding buildup & weighing it down. 

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Yeah it really is waxy and leaves build up. I would encourage people to use higher quality shampoos and conditioners but when money is tight i would choose Suave Professionals!

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

suave sounds like something to consider! thanks for sharing:smileyhappy:

catherineu2

I like L'Oreal's Ever line. It's sulfate free and comes in a variety of types like moisture, sleek, volume, etc. My fav is Everpure Moisture.  I also like Bath & Body Works Signature Collection moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. You can get it in a lot of their great scents.  I've only tried the mango mandarin but I want to try the warm vanilla sugar. I usually have to use a ton of conditioner in my hair but with this conditioner I only have to use a small amount which mean I won't run out of conditioner before shampoo like always.

kd006

I agree with what you say about shampoos.

I personally don't use normal conditioners. I have very very thick hair and it can take lots of product, so I use the maracuja oil deep repair masque everytime I wash my hair. Personally, I don't really care whether I use high end or drugstore shampoos. The only time I will buy a high end shampoo if I can get them on sale from ulta in the clearance section or at TJmaxx. Today I bought the redken time reset from ulta in the clearance section. Normally 24.50. I got it for 12. And it was the 33.8 oz bottle. You would pretty much spend the same on a drugstore shampoo of that size! So if I have the choice, I do buy high end but I would never spend 25 dollars on shampoo! I would rather spend that on my addiction to makeup!! :smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Lol me too, I could never cut out my Makeup and Skincare i get from Sephora! Everything else can go lol

kd006

(0) Hearts

My favorite drugstore shampoo is the john freida brilliant brunette. I haven't tried the suave but maybe ill pick that up next time I run out of shampoo.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • sammiebaby
    • catherineu2
    • beautylovingirl