BellaKroll

Rough, Dry Ends

About my hair: It's 4 inches past my bra strap, medium thickness, and a medium coarse texture that I don't dye or heat style. I wash my hair every other day with Macadamia natural oil flawless cleansing conditioner and use a protein treatment one time per week. I use Chi Silk Infusion and Macadamia natural oil healing oil on towel dried hair.

I would think that with how I take care of my hair it would be super healthy, but I just got an inch cut off 2 weeks ago and my ends are already super stringy, dry, and rough. Any product suggestions or tips as to how to get them smooth and healthy again? Thanks!

melissabt

Re: Rough, Dry Ends

(0) Hearts

Hi BellaKroll,

I highly recommend the Alterna Caviar Repair RX Re-Texturizing Protein Cream. It helps to smooth out the hair and was created for clients that have porous and damaged hair. I have heavy highlighted hair and this has been a life saver!

caviarrrr.jpg

<3 Melissa
BellaKroll

I actually already wash my hair only 2x per week. This, however, has only been leaving my hair greasy on top and dry on the bottom. I'm going to try picking up one of the hair masks and stop using the protein treatments so often. I also picked up samples of the Josie Maran argan oil and hair serum to try out!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Does your hair get oily quite quickly or frequently between washes?

If you can go maybe even two days between washings, you can allow your scalp to naturally produce oils which will help keep things balanced. Washing too frequently when not needed can strip hair of those oils and exacerbate dryness.

When washing, avoid using hot water, instead, aim for warm or even cold if you can separate washing your hair from your shower. When drying your hair, you might want to switch to a microfiber towel opposed to a traditional terry cloth towel as the microfiber ones are much softer and will put less stress on the hair. Squeeze out excess water before towel drying, pat and scrunch hair with the towel rather than rub or build friction, this rubs hair against their natural grain and can cause frizz and make damaged hair worse.

The kind of cut you receive can also play into things, if you get your ends razored, if the stylist isn't well versed in the technique or uses dull shears or razors, it can damage strands and only worsen.

Though protein based treatments are beneficial, I've also found that on hair that is damaged and stringy looking, they can be too heavy and actually cause the ends to feel brittle and stiff because they're not balancing enough with hydrating ingredients, but rather just filling in those damaged portions with protein and amino acid fusions. The masks below and also Frederik Fekkai's Shea Butter mask and It's a 10 Miracle Hair mask contain wonderful humectants like shea butter, mango butter, apricot oil, and sweet almond oil which helps to keep strands soft and manageable.

Try keeping the mask applied to ends specifically for at least 15-20 minutes, even up to 30 if needed, keep hair up in a shower cap and if possible, wrap a warm towel or even blast the area at a safe distance with a blow dryer so the heat can further help activate product and let it sink in. Alterna even has an overnight treatment you wash out in the morning in their Caviar collection, it helps to strengthen hair with a balance of proteins and nourishing ingredients.

serioustree

(0) Hearts

Similar situation! 

This is my hair care routine recommended to me by my friend who's a hair stylist, who also said wash your hair every other day. If its oily, use some dry shampoo. 

Hop in the shower

shampoo hair

condition

wash your face

do your normal scrubbing around your body

Pretty much keep the conditioner in your hair as long as you can then wash it off. 

Use leave in conditioners/oils/treatments after every single shower if it feels strongly like hay still. 

My hair almost reaches my butt so I completely understand where you're coming from-especially after a hair cut. For my, the reason why it was so stringy was because of the washing it every day, do you to that too?

janinebt

I really like to apply a little argan oil just before bed. I wake up with smoother more manageable ends every time :smileyhappy:.

swfupload_8916883905132188353.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
starletta8

Also- leave your conditioner in for a long time.  Start your shower with a quick shampoo, then condition.  Leave the conditioner on your hair the rest of the time that you're in the shower.

laurabt

[ Edited ]

Hi BellaKroll, try incorporating a hair mask into your routine. They are deeply penetrating moisture treatments that can be used once or twice a week to help repair your damaged ends.

Alterna Bamboo Smooth Moisture Masque

Alterna Bamboo Smooth Moisture Masque.jpghttp://bit.ly/19egbNN

Carol's Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask

Carol's Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask.jpghttp://bit.ly/ZrWKht

Phyto Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Brilliance Mask

Phyto Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Brilliance Mask.jpghttp://bit.ly/1amKL9q

:smileyhappy: -Laura

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 hearts