kalex

Removing product buildup

(0) Hearts

I went in and got a haircut yesterday.  My stylist said I had some product buildup that was causing the flakes I thought was dry skin, and said I should start using a weekly clarifying shampoo or treatment.  Any suggestions on great shampoos or tried and true recipes for homemade concoctions?

Thanks in advance!

FitFan

Re: Removing product buildup

(0) Hearts

I love using 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water to break down the product build up!

carolang

(0) Hearts

Neutrogena makes a good one. I use one by Avalon Organics though, and I tend to go into more natural purchases like that thinking they won't be effective, but it works really well. Smells like lemons!

Cyll

[ Edited ]

I never use the clarifying shampoos. My go to is "braggs apple cider vinegar". You can use it alone or mix it with water.

Another good clarifying treatment is baking soda & water. NOT baking powder. People are split on this. I've tried both. Stick with baking soda.

If you don't want to make your own than you can always buy an apple cider vinegar rinse. Goldies Natural Beauty makes a nice rinse. It's cheaper to make yourself but goldies smells better and will last you a while if you use every couple weeks for the sole purpose of clarifying your scalp.

goldies.jpeg

anaa

Try Chi Ionic Power Plus C-1 Vitalizing shampoo.  I think it is outstanding for a clarifying shampoo.

pinktorridora

P.S. Be careful if you have chemically treated or colored hair. Certain clarifying shampoos are not safe for these. The Kenra one is.

pinktorridora

I love love love Kenra's Clarifying Shampoo. It works great and it's gentle! My stylist sells it, but it's available at Ulta.

sunshine38

Wow, thanks for this post.  I didn't realize the recent flaking on my scalp could be product build up.  I'll have to try some of these remedies!

Katty2323

[ Edited ]

I bought a shower head filter on amazon to remove chlorine plus i use the malibu hardwater & buildup remover treatment packets once a week. But, thats just for water related buildup. I use dawn dish soap and baking soda to remove product build up now. Every 2-3 weeks I use it to keep my hair stuff working. :smileyhappy:

fhgarman

I used to love the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner. It worked great twice a week when I was still shampooing every day. In the past years I've switched to Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo & conditioner. I wash my hair every other day now and I use these once a week. It works wonders on any build-up feeling I have and prevents flakes I can sometimes get from my oily scalp.

melissabt

Hi Kalex-

Sunday shampoos is one of my favorite clarifying shampoos. It's very concentrated and your hair is left feeling clean and not overly dry!

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=sunday%20shampoo&skuId=1270073&productId=P2...

<3 Melissa
kalex

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Does anyone know if it's baking powder or baking soda?  

And does anyone besides blueorchid have issues with Apple Cider Vinegar leaving the scent in your hair?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

poornima

My stylist recommended baking powder and that is what I use, but I don't see why baking soda shouldn't work in a pinch. I think the only difference between the two is that baking powder includes a binding agent (cream of tartar), which is acidic. Since hair and skin are naturally acidic, you should have the same results when you use baking soda.

As for ACV it does smell strong when rinsing, but it fades away pretty quickly (by the time my hair is dry, I don't smell it at all). 

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

baking powder is just baking soda, cream of tartar and starch.

DTalksAll

The first time I used ACV was a few years ago when I had a horrible build up from lake water & trying to wash my hair in really soft water. It was gross for days, tried different clarifying shampoos & nothing worked. 

So that first time I did the rinse I was so grossed out over the smell, but I soaked my hair in a bowl of it, so my nose was trapped. Now that I use it in the shower with a squirt bottle, I don't have the issue, and It doesn't linger in my hair either. 

lucyshnoosy

I have used an apple cider vinegar rinse in my hair and the smell wasn't an issue for me.  It faded very quickly.

vanillammm

I read somewhere that you can just add some baking soda to your normal shampoo (when it is in the palm of your hand, not directly into the bottle) and that will work to clarify your hair and scalp without stripping it.

kalex

(0) Hearts

My stylist just recommended that I try baking soda (or was it powder?) to strip the kool-aid from my daughter's hair.  I dip dyed her hair over the summer and months later it has barely faded.  I'm thinking it's still going to be in by Christmas!

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

probably baking soda... baking powder is baking soda and cream of tartar with some type of starch.

poornima

I had the same problem- I have fairly thick, wavy hair that likes to do its own thing, so I end up using entirely too many lotions and potions to tame it every so slightly.

My stylist recommended Davines Solu shampoo (which is excellent if you can find it), but I have found that the bumble and bumble sunday shampoo works just as well for me (and it's available at Sephora).

If you want to go the natural route, baking powder (not soda) does a great job of stripping off built-up product, and using Apple Cider Vinegar as a rinse makes my hair shiny and manageable. I generally do this once a month (every three weeks in the summer)- and my hair is is much better shape.

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

I hate to break it to you.... but baking powder IS baking soda with the addition of cream of tartar. :smileyhappy: Not to mention the drying agents and starch in it too... better to stick to just baking soda.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • anaa
    • annonymous1
    • melissabt
    • pinktorridora