AmyC

Re-dye my hair or just let the current color grow out?

(0) Hearts

I had my hair dyed several times last last year into early this year. I was trying several different options. A total of three times full head probably within a 6 month period. The last time I had it dyed I asked to go back to my natural hair color. Clearly, what I have is not my natural hair color. This was back in February  of this year. Going back to my natural hair color is what I'd like and I do not want to go back to who dyed it previously. I was thinking of trying that Sally's Hair color with one of my mom's friends who is VERY VERY good at this. Her hair does not even look dyed and she has been doing this since she was 23 to herself because of grays. However, my mother is afraid my hair may start falling out and such if I have it re-dyed because of how many times it has been previously dyed. Yes, it has just been those three times. I've been having it highlighted since I was 16 and wanted a change.    

annonymous1

Re: Re-dye my hair or just let the current color grow out?

(0) Hearts

i have been dying my hair, highlights, bleaching since i was about 14 years old, i am 19 now. when i was younger i used to get my hair done out of a salon, and now i dye it every 4 weeks out of a box i get from sallys which i do recommend, it does take some practice if your going to do it yourself, but also make sure you get some form of hair dye remover, this will take the traces of the dye off your skin.

i learned that about 10,000 hairs fall off your head every single day, but after doing my hair for about 5 years with all this harsh stuff and my hair is still very strong and healthy, i don't think it should be a problem for you. 

but be careful, because although it may not make your hair fall out, it may damage your scalp which i realized is a painful and awful thing to start happening, and eventually made my head very itchy and sensitive so please be careful with your scalp. 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

As long as you're careful, your hair won't fall out!

I've been doing whole-head color every 4-6 weeks since... 2005. Going red requires that!  However, I won't do it myself- so that might make a difference.

If you're going to DIY, I love the idea of demi-permanent color.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

When I went from platinum blonde to brown, two colorists I spoke with said, "lets do low lights and gradually bring you back to brunette - that way it isnt a shock".  At $90-120 a pop (in san diego at that time) I was like i am not going to do that 3 or 4 times to get my hair back brown!  

I decide I wanted to do it myself. I used Sally products and it came out well.  Since I was very blonde i dyed my hair red with a demi permanent color (like bright red) Let that sit a day. And then used a demi permanent color a darker brown color.  I did test strands in my hair for weeks before knowing the right timing/color combination.  This is just what I did, I'm not trying to give advice. Everyone's hair is different so I can't say what would work for you.  Every month (or few weeks) I would re-touch up the color by mixing in a little of the red with the brown and dye my hair once.  

The red is necessary. If I just stuck the brown dye on my hair, the end result would have come out green.  I had to replace the color spectrum that I took out of my hair when I bleached it.  (like when you dont leave the bleach on long enough and your hair comes out red/orange- it is because it is going through the lifting of colors and hasnt reached blonde/pale yellow yet.)  I had to replace the color red before going brown.  Here are some pictures.

253_510935570310_865_n.jpg

I did about 10 of these in the back (over a few weeks) and one in the front (a day before my whole head).

253_510935575300_1133_n.jpg

253_510935545360_9532_n.jpg

253_510935560330_333_n.jpg

253_510935754940_9106_n.jpg

This pic with my friend was taken literally 2 hours after I dyed my hair dark brown. It was 24  hours after I dyed my hair bright red.

208_513087417990_568_n.jpgtwo months after going back to brunette and touch ups when necessary (gosh I couldnt remember!) but it was 2 months.  This was before i got into makeup (note the blush as a contour!) LOL

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Also, I agree with arielaaaaaaaa about bleach. 

AmyC

Wow, thank you so very much for all this information. This has been extremely helpful! For me, I'm not quite sure the red is necessary as I am alright a light brown now wanting to go to a darker brown/black. You look phenomenal!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

thanks AmyC  (this was back in 2008- about 5 years ago!)  You prob wont need the red if you are already light brown.  

Maybe talk with your mom's friend and she what she thinks about your hair?  You can also talk to a professional colorist just to see what they think/say too (if you have the time).

emmaclaire

If you have been bleaching (or you need to bleach to get back to your natural color) I would suggest growing out your color naturally.    Obviously, bleach (and even non-bleaching dyes) damage your hair, so it's ideal to minimize the number of chemical processes you put your hair through.  That being said, some people have hair that is healthy and gorgeous despite being dyed and bleached and treated to high heaven, while other people get breakage and dryness from trying to highlight once a year.  Those are the extremes, and most people fall in the middle.  If your hair is in great shape, it might not be a big deal to try one more dye job if that's what you really want, but you should definitely be careful!

Also, is your hair too light or too dark?  If it's too light, there are a number of conditioning tinted rinses you could use while growing out the color.  That would help blend your roots and gently darken the shade of the dyed hair.  If it's too dark, you could try doing a couple things to help fade the color faster (dandruff shampoo is notorious for fading dye, and washing your hair every day very thoroughly will also fade it), or use a color remover in conjunction with a deep conditioning treatment.  Toning rinses help with undertones, so if you're blond and the dye is too ashy, a golden/brightening toner will make the color more golden.  If the dye is too brassy, a blue/violet toner will neutralize the shade and get rid of the yellow.

AmyC

(0) Hearts

Wow, another idea I never even thought about! I just love this community! Thank you very much!

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

You're very welcome!  Good luck with your hair adventures and keep us updated!

jellybean917

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I've been trying to find my natural hair color in a bottle for over a year now. I came close with the last permanent I tried. Now what I've been doing is using the semi-permanent Clairol Brass-Free Brunettes. It covers up the roots and makes my hair "flow" better. It feels less damaging and the color fades in a non-noticeable way. Also, I find the color is quite natural because, as the name suggests, it hides brassiness that a lot of colors have.

I'm at least a few inches into growth (I can't even tell when I stopped coloring on my hair). This seems to work for me so far, hopefully you can find a solution! <3

AmyC

(0) Hearts

This is a great idea as well! THANK YOU!

rikkie

Honestly I am not the best person to listen to because I break every rule in the book and then rip out the pages and throw it all out the window, ha ha. I wouldn't give it a second thought but I have a bad habit of bleaching all my hair to white quite a few times a year to have a blank canvas to color on. Don't listen to me, I haven't seen what color my hair is in 10 years. :smileyhappy:

I hope you get the results you want though! 

AmyC

Thank you so much Rikkie!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

From what I've heard, dying your hair darker is not as damaging as making it lighter (bleaching). Maybe you can try some of the natural options and up the nourishing treatment.

Haha, I've had strips of white since I was a teen. I've always had black hair, which would be either impossible or takes too much effort if I want lighter color. I haven't tried it yet, but my plan is that once I have enough white hairs, I'll dye them dark blue or purple so they look like "highlights" in my hair. 

Anyways, that was random. If you give your hair a break occasionally and be careful about the ingredients, it should be fine?

janinebt

(0) Hearts

I use to be a hair dying fiend, but about a year ago I decided to give my poor tresses a break after constant color. Even without bleach dye can be damaging.

The overall condition of my hair has changed dramatically! Now when I go in for trims my hair stylist makes very minimal snips. Whenever I get the urge to color my hair I will usually just go to town on a pair of clip in extensions. Human hair extensions can be dyed, bleached, cut, etc; plus they add a nice amount of volume. They're a ton of fun rather you decide on a shorter more natural length or opt for a longer set.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
AmyC

(0) Hearts

I'm starting to get grays in my roots, which is a big concern given my age. I'm only 28 but my grandmother was completely white by 40. 

arielaaaaaaaa

As long as your hair is not in total bad condition doing it one more time to get to your natural color should not cause it to fall out. If it is already in bad condition it's another story. But bleaching is what is the culprit to hair falling out. So you should be fine, as long as your natural hair color is darker than what you already have, because you can't lighten hair with hair dye. 

AmyC

Thanks, this is helpful as I'm a brunette!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • emmaclaire
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • annonymous1
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler