Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Solutions for thick, dry, frizzy hair

The title basically says it all. I have really long, thick, wavy hair--and I'd consider myself very lucky if it weren't for all the frizz! I suspect it's because my hair is dry. =/ Any suggestions? I'd prefer something that can be applied to dry hair to sort of "tame" it, but at this point I'm pretty much open to anything that works--conditioners, shampoos, relaxing balms, oils, anything!

Extra love if it smells amazing.

Thanks for the help. 😃

Tags:

Re: Solutions for thick, dry, frizzy hair

You should check out one of our newest styling creams! Can be applied to wet or dry hair and is SUPER weightless!

AMIKA - Supernova Moisture and Shine Cream

You should check out our new AMIKA - Supernova Moisture and Shine Cream perfect for taming frizz while not weighing your hair down!

I know this is years late, but I have the same kind of hair and have been told about SO many products I can't even keep count. I've tried Living Proof, DevaCurl, Pureology, etc. You name it, I've tried it. Some sort of help (moroccanoil treatment & ghost verb oil are nice for just a little extra shine and moisture), but nothing has ever really changed my hair game.

The only thing that helped me was taking vitamins and supplements & changing up my diet. You can buy $100+ products (for skin or hair), but at the end of the day, it all comes from the nutrients your body craves.

I'd say it would be worth it to try some daily supplements and see how your hair looks. THEN you can add some of these products and they'll help maintain it!

As far as products go, I definitely also recommend cutting down on shampoo/conditioner, and don't even touch anything with sulfates. I looooove IGK's low key walnut scalp scrub, or dp Hue's ACV conditioning wash. They clean your hair without all those added ingredients that dry you out.

I came across this post and you are dead on. It's all about what you put in your body. I've got long thick curly hair and I know for me nothing has ever done wonders for my hair and or skin like drinking lots of water and eating more greens. Plus a good hair and nails vitamin. I just really liked your answer. I'm brand new on here.

Anonymous Insider

Noooooo keratin!!

Anonymous Insider

If you have frizzy hair then use sulfate free shampoo! Seriously I changed over and it makes a HUGE difference. If you get silicone free conditioner then even better. I use everything by the Pro Naturals argan oil line and I really really recommend their stuff. Especially the leave in argan oil, total lifesaver for frizzy hair.

Whatever you do please please DO NOT get brazillian Kerat...

Whatever you do please please DO NOT get brazillian Keratin done. It has high amounts of formaldahyde and you may well end up with no hair at all.  If you are looking for anti-frizz and moisture, Keratin is awesome....just make sure its Keratin and not Brazillian Keratin. It will enable you to have the best of both worlds....You can curl your hair, straighten it, make it wavy...and once you have it done a few times, even if its humid ( our worst enemy) it wont matter.....

For me it is liquid hair crack!!

Best Wishes!!!

Anonymous Insider

Re: Whatever you do please please DO NOT get brazillian Kerat...

Booboo keratin!!

Try deep conditioning weekly or bi-weekly. The extra reta...

Try deep conditioning weekly or bi-weekly. The extra retained moistured will cut down on the frizz. I recommend Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner. It works great and smells heavenly!

Also, try sleeping on a satin pillow case. Cotton pillow cases suck out moisture, thus causing frizz.

Anonymous Insider

Living Proof "Wave Shaping, Curl Defining No Frizz S...

Living Proof "Wave Shaping, Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Treatment for Thick to Coarse Hair" is a great daily treatment for frizz-reduction and conditioning.  It has a mild, but pleasant fragrance and it really does work.  You can find it at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P231306&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5936

I hope this helps you.  Smiley Happy

I've heard that using a satin pillowcase helps to cut dow...

I've heard that using a satin pillowcase helps to cut down on frizz.  I recently switched, and although I don't have super frizzy hair, I do feel like I have less fly aways and don't need to use the flat iron as much (I have mostly straight hair, so I just run it quickly through the ends so that they lie flat).

I know exactly how you feel. You just described my hair w...

I know exactly how you feel. You just described my hair when I was much younger..  and unfortunately I kept fighting it instead of embracing my beautiful curls.  Over the years I learned to treat my hair nicely.  Here is my advice to you.  Pick any moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, something that you like (preferably for dry hair - personally I love PHYTO products), shampoo and conditioner do not have to match.  Also, use a moisturizing mask once a week.  Something like http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P78902&categoryId=C7243&shouldPaginate=true or  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P162524&categoryId=C7243&shouldPaginate=true

Once your hair is towel dried, apply a dab of Phyto 9 http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P2891&categoryId=C7243&shouldPaginate=true (use this everytime you wash your hair - over time, you willl see and feel the difference - trust me on this one). 

Then use a few drops of Oscar Blandi Olio di jasmine http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P57300&categoryId=C7244&shouldPaginate=true  comb hair with a wide-tooth comb (after this oil, the comb should glide through hair with no effort) and left your hair dry naturally. 

I did this for about a year and my hair became soft, shiny and very manageable - constantly getting lots of compliments.  I hope this regimen will work for you too. 

Good luck

🙂

Anonymous Insider

I would recommend to try the Brazilian keratin treatment....

I would recommend to try the Brazilian keratin treatment. If possible. Makes life a lot easier, and less time styling and fighting the natural texture.

I have a few haircare products to recommend, but none are available here, and to show respect to sephora, I will only recommend products that you can purchase here.

I do like the Ojon haircare range. It also has the added plus of smelling yummy, while performing well.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=Ojon

: )

13 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing