Preserving color tips?

So I'm off to get my hair colored tomorrow (yahoo!) and I'm going for a dark violet red. I know red tones fade fast and I want to try and preserve the color as long as I can. Any tips on how I can keep it from fading? Thanks :smileyhappy:untitled.png

Re: Preserving color tips?

(0) Hearts

Thank you for this thread. I am grateful for all this advice as I am going to get my hair colored professionally soon. (I'm loving your color Cat and think I'll be doing something similar). :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

@cat588 what color line and color is this? I love it?

Pureology, although very expensive, just came out with a new collections of hair products called Reviving Red, shampoo and conditioner are most popular. Sulfate free, SUPER concentrated, so itll last you a LONG time. even if it weren't the reviving red collection, any pureology collection is color safe and sulfate free, AND concentrated...so you'd be good with anything from them really.

Cat588-

I love that hair color! I've had it before and even did a dark purple to mix it up. It does really fade super fast. It looks like you already have lots of good advice! I agree, my hair stylist said do not wash your hair 24-48 hours after it has been colored to lock it in.

Sulfate free shampoos and conditioners will be your best friend!

If you're in the sun use a UV line. I like the one by Alterna. Wear a hat or scarf to cover your head/hair for prolong periods out in the sun.

http://www.sephora.com/search/search.jsp?keyword=alterna%20uv&_requestid=111437

<3 Melissa

Just keep in mind that no matter what, red will be stripped faster than other colors- you're fighting against basic molecular structures! Red is much larger than other colors, so it's both more difficult to bind to the hair, and quicker to slip off.

I also like to supplement my color-friendly shampoo and  conditioner (in my case, I'm using Aveda because I have Aveda dye in my hair- I try not to mix lines) with one from the same line that re-deposits red color after about 10 days. 

I LOVE that color and have been thinking about going just one shade darker. A really deep almost purple black hue. You've already been given stellar advice. Just make sure to stay away from sulfate shampoos, they'll strip your color. My favorite color safe brands are Wen, Alterna, and Bumble & Bumble.

Whimsically yours,
Janine