Cat588

Preserving color tips?

So I'm off to get my hair colored tomorrow (yahoo!) and I'm going for a dark violet red. I know red tones fade fast and I want to try and preserve the color as long as I can. Any tips on how I can keep it from fading? Thanks :smileyhappy:untitled.png

SarahShameless

Re: Preserving color tips?

Pureology, although very expensive, just came out with a new collections of hair products called Reviving Red, shampoo and conditioner are most popular. Sulfate free, SUPER concentrated, so itll last you a LONG time. even if it weren't the reviving red collection, any pureology collection is color safe and sulfate free, AND concentrated...so you'd be good with anything from them really.

melissabt

Cat588-

I love that hair color! I've had it before and even did a dark purple to mix it up. It does really fade super fast. It looks like you already have lots of good advice! I agree, my hair stylist said do not wash your hair 24-48 hours after it has been colored to lock it in.

Sulfate free shampoos and conditioners will be your best friend!

If you're in the sun use a UV line. I like the one by Alterna. Wear a hat or scarf to cover your head/hair for prolong periods out in the sun.

http://www.sephora.com/search/search.jsp?keyword=alterna%20uv&_requestid=111437

<3 Melissa
starletta8

Just keep in mind that no matter what, red will be stripped faster than other colors- you're fighting against basic molecular structures! Red is much larger than other colors, so it's both more difficult to bind to the hair, and quicker to slip off.

I also like to supplement my color-friendly shampoo and  conditioner (in my case, I'm using Aveda because I have Aveda dye in my hair- I try not to mix lines) with one from the same line that re-deposits red color after about 10 days. 

janinebt

I LOVE that color and have been thinking about going just one shade darker. A really deep almost purple black hue. You've already been given stellar advice. Just make sure to stay away from sulfate shampoos, they'll strip your color. My favorite color safe brands are Wen, Alterna, and Bumble & Bumble.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Cat588

(0) Hearts

@kenny Thanks! I'm heading to Walmart right away so I'll have to check it out.

kenny

I just dyed my hair that color yesterday!

Definitely try to wash as little as you can to prevent fading. Try shampoos designed for color treated hair and without sulfates. And make sure to deep condition to keep hair shiny and healthy. I reccomend L'oreal's Everpure line, it works great and is on the cheaper end of the spectrum!

Cat588

beautylovingirl- Awesome! I'll definitely have to check for them! Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

beautylovingirl

Cat588- If you have any higher end salons near that carry these you can get them in salons if they are Kerastase  Authorized retailers but also you can get it at kerastase.com and also get three samples with your purchase. :smileyhappy: These Chroma products hold color 40 days and give incredible shine.:smileyhappy:

Cat588

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the tips! :smileyhappy: They'll really come in hand!

Cat588

@beautylovingirl Thanks! Where can you buy it? Or is it online only?

Derienjocelyn

Wait 24-48 hours after getting your hair done to wash it

Purchase a sulfate free shampoo

only shampoo 2-3 times per week

when you do shampoo and condition rinse out with cold water this will seal the cuticle thus preventing color from fading as dramatically.

If you are looking for a sephora product i'd recommend something like this... Shampoo.jpg

i also try and let my hair dry naturally ( if i have time for this) and then blow dry on a low setting. 

Cover up your precious locks in the sun.

And stay away from the pool! Chlorine is a red heads arch nemesis! 

I also like to use a coconut oil treatment once a week it adds dimension and brightens color treated hair!

hope i could help

-D

starletta8

I've been going red for years, and here's my best tips:

• Don't shampoo for several days- wait until you feel like it's driving you nuts.
  • Day #1: Just wet your hair, allow any residual dye to rinse out.
  • Day #2-Day 3 or 4: Just condition
  • Use color conserving shampoo, and shampoo once for every 3 or 4 days
  • Use lukewarm or cold water on your hair

The biggest thing is not to shampoo out the color.

beautylovingirl

Kerastase Chroma Captive Shampoo and Conditioner and their Chroma Thermique to put in before you blow dry.:smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

Hair looses color faster when your hair is damaged, so make sure you do deep conditioning treatments, and mask that help protect color. Also Ask your stylist to do a glossing treatment or Glaze. They go by different things and they help add an extra layer to keep your hair color from fading so fast.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • kenny
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt
    • janinebt
    • beautylovingirl
    • starletta8