cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg

Pocket Hairstylist is HERE and making its big debut on the Sephora App and at http://hairtutorial.sephora.com/ ! If you haven’t heard, Pocket Hairstylist is a step-by-step guide to creating different hairstyles specific to your hair type.

Because experimenting with new hairstyles can be tricky but oh-so worth it once you’ve completed your masterpiece, I thought it would be fun to attempt some of these looks with a new challenge! (or all of the looks, up to you!) Welcome to the Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Each week for the next month I’ll try a different look (see spoiler), snap a picture (or three!) and share to this thread. I hope you guys will join me! Feel free to mention any product or tools used, your hair type and any tips you have for achieving the look.

Spoiler

Here’s the schedule:

9/14 – 9/20: Beachy Waves

9/21 – 9/27: Fishtail

9/28 – 10/4: Air Dry Style

10/5 – 10/12: Top Knot

I left out Dutch Braids (I’m scared lol) but if you try it out show it off!

Re: Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Since I chopped my hair off- I ought to stick a donut on my head 😄 lmao

I missed this. And I dare you 😉

Haha! I dare you to do that!! 💕

After experimenting this week, all I've realized is air drying is not my jam. Well, I'm okay with air drying, but I definitely prefer touching up with a styling tool before braving the world.  I somewhat followed the pocket hairstylist tutorial for straight hair, but I opted for one high bun instead of 3 because I thought the lower ones would be uncomfortable to sleep on.  I do frequently sleep with my hair in a bun and get gentle waves, although it's usually after mostly drying my hair with a hair dryer.  My bun also fell out a few times while I was sleeping so I had to re-do it, and I think that's why the texture is pretty uneven. 

My first attempt was awful. I did 4 buns and wrapped them tightly. My hair was really curly in the morning but the top was straight from being in a bun. If I try that again, I'll go with much looser buns.  

86074067.jpg

Very flirty and pretty! 

You do have amazing volume especially if you're giving yourself keratin treatments! 

Finding the right number of buns and where to twist them is pretty difficult... Let alone sleeping with them in. Air Drying was a bigger challenge than I had anticipated! I tried again and looked like I had a bad perm... 

LOL that's what my first attempt looked like - a bad perm!  My keratin treatment is definitely wearing off so I can get a bit more volume now (which I love). As much as I enjoy the ease of keratin treatments, they really make it difficult to get volume. Since we're going into fall/winter and the air will be dryer (and therefore less frizz) I'm going to try to hold off on doing another one for awhile.

you have great hair too! So much root volume!!!! Did you use any volumizers?

@CC3616 Thank you! I think I used Drybar's Southern Belle here.  It's one of my favorite volumizing products. It works well without leaving your hair crunchy or dirty feeling.

L'Oreal also makes a good product for root volume called Boost It Air Blown Texture Mist. I guess it's intended to be used all over but I only like using it on my roots. It's too drying (high alcohol content) to use on the length of my hair and I like to be able to run my fingers through my hair.  So far it's the best thing I've found for root volume.

Nice, thanks for sharing!

I must admit, the longer after wash, the more under control my hair gets. its rather unruly the day i wash it, but sleeping on for a couple days helps. This is day 3 hair. Post wash I put in davines oi milk and IGK mistress and leave in a messy bun until half dry or so. then i let down and put in not your mothers beach babe curl cream.. I like their spray also but it gives a dirty texture, the cream doesn't. Today I put in some PHD split end mender and gave a sprtiz of davines oi to freshen up.IMG_7288.jpg

Love it!

Day 3 hair looks great on you @CC3616! Thanks for sharing your air dry look 🙂 

You're very right, shampoo = unruly hair for me too! I never know how it will dry but the days following are much more predictable.

Your hair is gorgeous! I wish I could get these results from air drying. I'd never mess with a hair dryer again!

I air dry my curly hair a lot.  Usually I end up using Pantene ProV detangler and the Alterna CC Cream, then twist it up and back into a clip.  Scrunch the length that comes out of the top of the clip, then go to bed.  When the clip comes out in the morning, my curls are more defined and not frizzy.  If I want it a little softer and not so defined, I use the Bumble and bumble Don't Blow It.

I air dry.... [drum roll]  with air! 😉

I love pretty curls and stick straight hair but I bleach my hair and am prone to frizz so I’m all about air drying. I have perfected my technique so I was reluctant to try something new but this is a challenge, after all, so I tried a new take on air drying!

I followed the directions for wavy hair. I added Reverie Hair Milk (LOVE this stuff) all over my damp hair. Usually I add some leave-in and Alterna Bamboo spray, flip my hair a few times and try not to touch my hair but the video instructed otherwise. Next I twisted my hair into about 8 thin, twisty ropes and sprayed each with Ouai Wave Spray, which I realllllly like! Next I was instructed to leave the twists to air dry into perfectly dried twists. This made me LOL and it's also where I started to have issues. They kept untwisting so I bound the bottom of my twists together with a hair tie. After almost 1 hour my hair wasn’t drying enough so I cheated and pulled out my blow dryer, defeating the purpose of air drying (whoops!). This really expedited the process so I waited a little bit longer and started to break the twists up. I finished with the Bumble Hairdresser’s finishing spray, which added a lot of shine.

Below is the finished result. While this was definitely a challenge for me I do like the way it came out. I had some frizz toward the top of my head where my hair wasn't twisted but I don't mind my frizz. I think someone with shorter hair may be able to wait for the twists to air dry but if you’re impatient like me I’d recommend sleeping on the twists or blow drying them. Final thoughts: I am happy I challenged myself. I really loved the combination of products and twisting my hair into little ropes and blow drying them makes for pretty curls 😄

Week 3_Air Dry Style.jpg

Looks great @katiebt! The twists technique is how I air dry my daughter's hair everytime I intend for her to wear it down. I do have to keep re twisting them a few times before fully dried but it is worth the cute wavy results. I think it works better on shorter hair like hers coz on me it looks very frizzy lol. 

@Anewxa ok so I'm not crazy this is tricky for frizzy hair! Good to know it works well with short hair!

Thank you for your kind words 🙂 If you're willing to try again I would recommend blow drying your twists! 

Did the twists give you more curl to your hair or is that your natural texture?  It's so pretty!  And what a cute top!

Thank you!! My hair dries into mix of waves and curls so it needs extra help to curl. I think the twists guided my hair to curl better if that makes sense. I noticed some corkscrew curls throughout my hair which I was pleasantly surprised to see! 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos24
  • Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg
  • Beachy Waves.jpg
  • 20160915_092312.jpg
  • HairChallengeWavesBT.jpg
  • Pock Hairstylist_Fishtail_2.jpg
  • image.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20160926-143304.jpg
  • 20160926_164442-1.jpg
  • Week 3_Air Dry Style.jpg