cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg

Pocket Hairstylist is HERE and making its big debut on the Sephora App and at http://hairtutorial.sephora.com/ ! If you haven’t heard, Pocket Hairstylist is a step-by-step guide to creating different hairstyles specific to your hair type.

Because experimenting with new hairstyles can be tricky but oh-so worth it once you’ve completed your masterpiece, I thought it would be fun to attempt some of these looks with a new challenge! (or all of the looks, up to you!) Welcome to the Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Each week for the next month I’ll try a different look (see spoiler), snap a picture (or three!) and share to this thread. I hope you guys will join me! Feel free to mention any product or tools used, your hair type and any tips you have for achieving the look.

Spoiler

Here’s the schedule:

9/14 – 9/20: Beachy Waves

9/21 – 9/27: Fishtail

9/28 – 10/4: Air Dry Style

10/5 – 10/12: Top Knot

I left out Dutch Braids (I’m scared lol) but if you try it out show it off!

Re: Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Your hair is so pretty! And I love your top! Totally worth the struggle-gorg ❤️ 

Thank you thank you!! 

Off topic but I sent you a PM about a question I have @KatieBT. Thanks 😃

Our challenge for week three is air dry style! I'll post later today with my take on this technique 🙂 

Give it a try! http://hairtutorial.sephora.com/

20160926_164442-1.jpg

I had watched fishtail braid tutorials in the past, but I have to say the Pocket Hairstylist one broke it down the easiest for me.  I used a little bit of my Oribe Cote d'azur Luminous Hair & Body Oil to smooth my hair.  I think next time I would opt for a texturizing product to give it some more volume in the braid. I pulled on the sections for the looser look, but they tended to fall back into place.  

Overall this was much easier than I anticipated. If you're intimidated by it, definitely check out the Pocket Hairstylist tutorial because that one makes it look as easy as it really is.  It takes a bit longer than a normal braid, but you can use bigger sections to make it go faster.  This one will definitely be going into my regular rotation of hairstyles.

GORGEOUS!!

Very pretty and neat ❤️

Amazing, well-done @kso1225! I felt the same way about the tutorial making it surprisingly easy. The whole look is amazing, did you curl the pieces around your face? Not to sound like a beauty article but they look effortlessly flawless!

Thank you @KatieBT 😄

I did curl the pieces around my face. They looked a little odd being straight so I just quickly curled them and ran my fingers through them. Sort of messy but chic, I think. The right side (in the picture) I loosely pinned back just behind the braid with a bobby pin, but a few strands still came out.

Love this! Thanks for the tips on doing a fish tail. Yours looks so pretty!

I have never tried fancy hairstyles and never in a hundred years can make fishtail on myself. So inspited by fatimamummy below, here is an epic fail where it ended up looking like a french braid lol..on my daughter. Probably need to watch more tutorials 😂. Baby shampoo in her hair and just a pea size of caviar cc cream to tame her frizzies (she loves the scent when I use it on myself). 

Screenshot_20160926-143304.jpg

Cute! 

We'll call it an inverted Dutch braid 😉

It looks perfect! If you can pull off a skilled french braid I think the fishtail would be a breeze for you but that's coming from an awful french braider! It's a similar concept but you make a ponytail and braid down from there so I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to pick up.

Thanks @KatieBT! I think it was a one time fluke lol and did take several tries. Will attempt again 😉

So cute, she has very pretty hair. Don't worry with the growth of her hair, your talent will grow as well. It is a very neat fish tail  😍

Thank you @fatimamummy! Yes definately brush up my hair skills as she grows. For now a standard ponytail will suffice 😂

For fishtails week, I thought to do it on my daughter's hair. No products to share because she is too young and have very healthy hair so I prefer she stay away from excess products in her hair. So it is just her regular Pantene shampoo and conditioner.

image.jpeg

Your daughter's hair is beautiful! And what a perfect fishtail braid! 

This looks amazing, you're a pro!

So pretty!!

Hey guys, it's week two so I learned a new braiding technique, the fishtail!

Honestly, this look was intimidating to me. I watched the video about 10 times before attempting the braid but it was surprisingly easy. With practice, this will probably become one of my go-to-dos. 

To start, I used Ouai Hair Oil on my dry hair to smooth and tame my frizz and brushed through my hair to get rid of knots. (Hi, frizzies!) Then I made a low, side ponytail and got to braiding. The instructions said to pull tightly but I overdid it a bit so the braid was thinner than I would have liked but still looked alright. The video offers two finishes, one is tight (picture of the left) and the second is relaxed (on the right). I loosened the sections to make them look relaxed (per the video instructions) but it didn't do a lot since I pulled so tightly. 

Regardless I really loved the end results and was proud I actually figured it out! Next time I will leave my hair wavy (no brushing) and do a looser fishtail for a more relaxed braid since that will probably work better for my fine, frizzy hair 🙂 

Pock Hairstylist_Fishtail_2.jpg

P.S. I've been neglecting my brows, oh well 😛  

Conversation Stats
Photos24
  • Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg
  • Beachy Waves.jpg
  • 20160915_092312.jpg
  • HairChallengeWavesBT.jpg
  • Pock Hairstylist_Fishtail_2.jpg
  • image.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20160926-143304.jpg
  • 20160926_164442-1.jpg