cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg

Pocket Hairstylist is HERE and making its big debut on the Sephora App and at http://hairtutorial.sephora.com/ ! If you havenโ€™t heard, Pocket Hairstylist is a step-by-step guide to creating different hairstyles specific to your hair type.

Because experimenting with new hairstyles can be tricky but oh-so worth it once youโ€™ve completed your masterpiece, I thought it would be fun to attempt some of these looks with a new challenge! (or all of the looks, up to you!) Welcome to the Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Each week for the next month Iโ€™ll try a different look (see spoiler), snap a picture (or three!) and share to this thread. I hope you guys will join me! Feel free to mention any product or tools used, your hair type and any tips you have for achieving the look.

Spoiler

Hereโ€™s the schedule:

9/14 โ€“ 9/20: Beachy Waves

9/21 โ€“ 9/27: Fishtail

9/28 โ€“ 10/4: Air Dry Style

10/5 โ€“ 10/12: Top Knot

I left out Dutch Braids (Iโ€™m scared lol) but if you try it out show it off!

Re: Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Your hair is so pretty! And I love your top! Totally worth the struggle-gorg โค๏ธ 

Thank you thank you!! 

Off topic but I sent you a PM about a question I have @KatieBT. Thanks ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Our challenge for week three is air dry style! I'll post later today with my take on this technique ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Give it a try! http://hairtutorial.sephora.com/

20160926_164442-1.jpg

I had watched fishtail braid tutorials in the past, but I have to say the Pocket Hairstylist one broke it down the easiest for me.  I used a little bit of my Oribe Cote d'azur Luminous Hair & Body Oil to smooth my hair.  I think next time I would opt for a texturizing product to give it some more volume in the braid. I pulled on the sections for the looser look, but they tended to fall back into place.  

Overall this was much easier than I anticipated. If you're intimidated by it, definitely check out the Pocket Hairstylist tutorial because that one makes it look as easy as it really is.  It takes a bit longer than a normal braid, but you can use bigger sections to make it go faster.  This one will definitely be going into my regular rotation of hairstyles.

GORGEOUS!!

Very pretty and neat โค๏ธ

Amazing, well-done @kso1225! I felt the same way about the tutorial making it surprisingly easy. The whole look is amazing, did you curl the pieces around your face? Not to sound like a beauty article but they look effortlessly flawless!

Thank you @KatieBT ๐Ÿ˜„

I did curl the pieces around my face. They looked a little odd being straight so I just quickly curled them and ran my fingers through them. Sort of messy but chic, I think. The right side (in the picture) I loosely pinned back just behind the braid with a bobby pin, but a few strands still came out.

Love this! Thanks for the tips on doing a fish tail. Yours looks so pretty!

I have never tried fancy hairstyles and never in a hundred years can make fishtail on myself. So inspited by fatimamummy below, here is an epic fail where it ended up looking like a french braid lol..on my daughter. Probably need to watch more tutorials ๐Ÿ˜‚. Baby shampoo in her hair and just a pea size of caviar cc cream to tame her frizzies (she loves the scent when I use it on myself). 

Screenshot_20160926-143304.jpg

Cute! 

We'll call it an inverted Dutch braid ๐Ÿ˜‰

It looks perfect! If you can pull off a skilled french braid I think the fishtail would be a breeze for you but that's coming from an awful french braider! It's a similar concept but you make a ponytail and braid down from there so I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to pick up.

Thanks @KatieBT! I think it was a one time fluke lol and did take several tries. Will attempt again ๐Ÿ˜‰

So cute, she has very pretty hair. Don't worry with the growth of her hair, your talent will grow as well. It is a very neat fish tail  ๐Ÿ˜

Thank you @fatimamummy! Yes definately brush up my hair skills as she grows. For now a standard ponytail will suffice ๐Ÿ˜‚

For fishtails week, I thought to do it on my daughter's hair. No products to share because she is too young and have very healthy hair so I prefer she stay away from excess products in her hair. So it is just her regular Pantene shampoo and conditioner.

image.jpeg

Your daughter's hair is beautiful! And what a perfect fishtail braid! 

This looks amazing, you're a pro!

So pretty!!

Hey guys, it's week two so I learned a new braiding technique, the fishtail!

Honestly, this look was intimidating to me. I watched the video about 10 times before attempting the braid but it was surprisingly easy. With practice, this will probably become one of my go-to-dos. 

To start, I used Ouai Hair Oil on my dry hair to smooth and tame my frizz and brushed through my hair to get rid of knots. (Hi, frizzies!) Then I made a low, side ponytail and got to braiding. The instructions said to pull tightly but I overdid it a bit so the braid was thinner than I would have liked but still looked alright. The video offers two finishes, one is tight (picture of the left) and the second is relaxed (on the right). I loosened the sections to make them look relaxed (per the video instructions) but it didn't do a lot since I pulled so tightly. 

Regardless I really loved the end results and was proud I actually figured it out! Next time I will leave my hair wavy (no brushing) and do a looser fishtail for a more relaxed braid since that will probably work better for my fine, frizzy hair ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Pock Hairstylist_Fishtail_2.jpg

P.S. I've been neglecting my brows, oh well ๐Ÿ˜›  

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos24
  • Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg
  • Beachy Waves.jpg
  • 20160915_092312.jpg
  • HairChallengeWavesBT.jpg
  • Pock Hairstylist_Fishtail_2.jpg
  • image.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20160926-143304.jpg