cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg

Pocket Hairstylist is HERE and making its big debut on the Sephora App and at http://hairtutorial.sephora.com/ ! If you haven’t heard, Pocket Hairstylist is a step-by-step guide to creating different hairstyles specific to your hair type.

Because experimenting with new hairstyles can be tricky but oh-so worth it once you’ve completed your masterpiece, I thought it would be fun to attempt some of these looks with a new challenge! (or all of the looks, up to you!) Welcome to the Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

Each week for the next month I’ll try a different look (see spoiler), snap a picture (or three!) and share to this thread. I hope you guys will join me! Feel free to mention any product or tools used, your hair type and any tips you have for achieving the look.

Spoiler

Here’s the schedule:

9/14 – 9/20: Beachy Waves

9/21 – 9/27: Fishtail

9/28 – 10/4: Air Dry Style

10/5 – 10/12: Top Knot

I left out Dutch Braids (I’m scared lol) but if you try it out show it off!

Re: Pocket Hairstylist Challenge!

I love your hair @trishavt and I'm glad you found the time to post your take on beachy waves!

Your waves look so luscious and gorgeous! It almost looks like you used a curling iron but you didn't even apply heat to your hair... And no frizz! I'm very jealous right now and daydreaming of what it must be like to have manageable hair... Don't take it for granted 🙂

@KatieBT Don't hate me? 😛 I definitely appreciate the sleek hair; if anything it gives me more time to work on my makeup 😉

I always joke with my sisters that I got the nice hair and they got the boobs since I'm still waiting for puberty to hit (but am in my 30s, lol) so it's a trade off.

Happy Monday everyone!

Just a reminder you have two more days to post your beachy waves. All are welcome participate, whether you utilize Pocket Hairstylist or want to share your own technique since we all have our own style. 

Also, get excited because Wednesday we're moving onto the Fishtail braid! 

Can't wait to see your looks!

Katie

I gave the beachy waves a shot today.

20160915_092312.jpg

I washed my hair last night and blow dried it. This morning I used Drybar's Mai Tai Spritzer (thanks to the VIB Drybar promo 🙂 ) and then curled my hair with a tapered curling wand, leaving the last couple of inches of hair straight.  I let my hair cool while I did my makeup because I find that if I mess with curls too much before they fully cool, they don't hold as well.  Then I used Oribe's Dry Texturizing Spray. I sprayed it a few inches from the roots to give a little more lift and texture. I also held the can below my hair and sprayed up into it and then scrunched it into my hair to hopefully help hold the curls. 

A little about my hair: My hair is naturally curly, but I get keratin treatments which make it straight and smooth. They're great, but make it a bit more difficult for my hair to hold a curl. I'm hoping the products I used today will keep the waves in a bit longer. My hair is neither thick nor thin - somewhere in the middle. I currently have highlights but the last time I got them done I saw a new stylist who bleached almost all of my hair so it needs a little extra TLC these days.

You always look gorgeous. Sarah Brightman look alike in this shot:) 

Very pretty @kso1225 you remind me of mermaids.

Gorgeous!

@kso1225 You look beautiful! Your hair came out so nice and I am in awe of how perfect those waves look! The color looks great too; it suits you very well. 🙂

Thank you so much! The only thing I didn't love was how I couldn't run my fingers through my hair. But the products did help the curls stay in.  When I got my hair highlighted this last time it was so blonde and I hated it because I didn't feel like myself. I ended up adding lowlights back in through the top so it looked more like balayage and was much happier with the color. 

Okay I LOVE your hair, and the color and especially your waves! Could it be any silkier (is that a word?)? You're making me want to get a keratin treatment again but I must resist.

I wish I used Mai Tai before creating the waves, it works so well and smells incredible! Which curling wand do you use? 

Thank you! I really have to be careful about how often I do keratin treatments or my hair starts to get pretty flat. Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous though!

As soon as I sprayed Mai Tai in my hair I was in heaven! I know sea salt sprays usually have a beachy smell, but this one smells incredible.  I used the Remington Pearl curling wand that's tapered from 1.5" to 1".

Gorgeous! I need to look into this keratin treatment for my own hair.. do they dye your hair before or after this treatment @kso1225?

@Anewxa If I remember correctly, depositing dye (not lifting any color) can be done before or after. My stylist likes to do it before because she says the keratin helps seal in the color. I don't know if that's true or not...I haven't really noticed a difference compared to before I started getting them.

Bleaching/lifting hair color should be done before the keratin treatment though because the bleach will "eat through" the keratin, making the effects of the treatment go away.

I got several keratin treatments in a salon but they were so expensive and time consuming, I eventually started doing them at home myself.  So now I just go in for highlights/color and do the keratin at home whenever I feel I need it. The bleach definitely puts some texture back into my hair, but it's not like it complete degrades the treatment in one session. I'm not a professional by any means, this is just what works for me.

Nice!

I like Man Repeller's method of achieving beachy waves ( http://www.manrepeller.com/2015/06/beach-waves-tutorial.html ), but I've found that a little beach spray goes a long way on my fine hair! I'm a fan of the beachy smelling Drybar Mai Tai spray. 

I'm pretty awful at doing my hair but I think I'll try to challenge myself to participate anyway. Maybe I'll find a new hairstyle I love instead of settling for  "rolled out of bed chic."

Sooo fun! I fear my little one will never give me enough free time to do Beachy Waves but count me in for the top knot (default mommy style :)). 

oh @candacebt I know 100% what you are saying..I have 2 lil ones and I don't think I have done much styling with my hair in 4 yrs 😱.. its usually a big ol bun or hippie hair lol.. Makeup is the only thing I force some time out for..and now a little skin care. Hair needs to wait a few more yrs 😂

Beachy Waves, my favorite! I have naturally wavy hair so thought this look could be a waste of time but I love the final results! I prefer to air dry but when I do style I either go stick straight or loose curls. This look was somewhere in between, I would describe it similarly to my second or third day after a blowout  minus all the dry shampoo! 

I followed the video instructions to create my look. I used Bumble’s All Style evenly throughout my wet hair, which I loved the feel of. I laughed at the thought of finger drying my long, knotty hair but tried to follow instructions and, sure enough, I looked like a lion after two minutes so I finished with a brush to make the process less painful (literally).

Next, it was time to create my waves. I used the GHD Platinum and honestly, struggled to get my waves to have much dimension the first few takes. I think this technique will require some more practice but I was starting to get the hang of it towards the end. I finished with a lot of Ouai Texturizing spray and I really like the final results! I wish I sprayed the waves as I went because one side fell out but practice makes perfect 🙂 

Beachy Waves.jpg

I come here just to compliment how beautiful you look @KatieBT. Love you hair!

@KatieBT You are so pretty and your hair looks amazing! You have such pretty eyes! ❤️

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos24
  • Hair Challenge Thread Image.jpg
  • Beachy Waves.jpg
  • 20160915_092312.jpg
  • HairChallengeWavesBT.jpg
  • Pock Hairstylist_Fishtail_2.jpg
  • image.jpeg
  • Screenshot_20160926-143304.jpg
  • 20160926_164442-1.jpg
  • Week 3_Air Dry Style.jpg