piratefoxy

New short bob - what product to help natural wave/curl without making my blond hair look greasy?

I have a new chin length bob, and I'm trying to figure out how to style it in various ways. I've figured out what to do if I want it to be more or less straight (I use a Phyto product and it tames the frizz nicely and gives a soft finished look) but I'd really like something for those days when I want to basically wash and go - if I just let it dry naturally it tends to puff up a bit (think dandelion) and the Phyto stuff I use normally seems to make the natural curl/wave fall out, so while my hair isn't puffy it's kind of blah.

I really want something that will help my hair keep the natural wave and that sort of casual/fun tousled look that seems like it'd be good for summer. I used to have really long hair so I didn't use styling products at all because mostly I braided it somehow, so I'm completely baffled by the options.

dianabt

Re: New short bob - what product to help natural wave/curl without making my blond hair look greasy?

Hi piratefoxy, 

Try using a tiny dab of a waxy pomade or texturizing spray/cream that won't weigh your hair down or make it look greasy/oily. I use the Bumble & Bumble Un-Texturizer (I use such a small amount just the travel size tube is  enough!)

swfupload_2595742115245290278.jpg

Another cool product? The Living Proof Amp1 Instant Texture Volumizer which gives a bit of volume is also added texture and shape while being oil free!

swfupload_4389383203235255340.jpg

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
piratefoxy

Re: New short bob - what product to help natural wave/curl without making my blond hair look greasy?

(0) Hearts

Travel sized tubes always sound good! I know Sephora has a good refund policy but I always feel so wasteful if I have to return a full sized product. (You hear that companies? More trial/travel sized stuff! I'm more likely to try new things and then buy the normal size!)

Do either have a particularly strong fragrance? That's my only other concern, I have problems with stuff that's really strongly perfumed.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

@piratefoxy neither have super strong scents, you may notice it a bit at first then they fade away. I like super light creams  and lotions only because they're not as sticky and dry as *some* sprays can be, but with the right amount you can really get great texture without worrying about your hair being weighed down. I have pretty fine hair so I've tried a LOT of items and it does take a bit of time to find what works for you! Styling pomades (that are more of a solid like a wax) are great for that texture and definition but really try to smooth anything in those formats with your fingertips so the heat can make them a bit more pliable on your hair and so you don't concentrate TOO much product on just one section of the hair. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

(0) Hearts

You nailed it on the head with the use of a soft, styling cream, Diana!

Creams are great to enhance shape but keep hair soft and flexible rather than dry and crunchy. Living Proof's Nourishing Styling Cream is one of my favorites and it helps to combat frizz as well!

You might also consider a texturizing salt spray, perfect to play up your natural waves, add body, and giving that tousled looked. Bumble & Bumble's Surf Spray, Altnera's Summer Hair Ocean Waves Spray, Oribe's Beach Wave and Shine Spray, and Sally Hersberger's Shaping Wave Spray are all wonderful.

piratefoxy

I get my hair highlighted and I've heard that the salt sprays can be pretty drying - is that something I need to be worried about?

(I feel like I don't know anything about this stuff - I used to have my hair pretty long so even though it's wavy, the weight of the hair would just pull it into quite gentle waves that weren't at all defined, and no matter what I tried it would end up doing that unless I used something super-hold that made it crunchy, so I never bothered. Now that it's so much shorter I'm trying to experiment with stuff I couldn't do before - same as when it was longer I played with braiding it and updos. :smileyhappy: )

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Though salt sprays can be drying if over used (the salt can add and do wonders for waves and body, but too much and it can dry hair out), look for formulas that are also fortified with conditioning ingredients to counteract and balance things out.

The Alterna one for example also provides UV protection for your hair, perfect for color treated processing and will prevent premature fading and dulling of your color, it also has antioxidants and botanical extracts like avocado, algae, mushroom, and soybean to nourish hair and keep it healthy.

Rosegold

(0) Hearts

I have thick, wavy strawberry blonde hair and I have had the chin-length bob. To fight frizz, I use Charles Worthington Results Moisture Seal Hair Healer on wet hair. It keeps my waves when I let it dry naturally and doesn't look greasy. Sometimes I get too much in one spot, but I just finger comb it out and it looks great.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • piratefoxy
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • Rosegold
Photos2
  • swfupload_2595742115245290278.jpg