cpeezy

Need help finding a (claw)hair clip that will fit all of my long hair!

(0) Hearts

Hey all, I need some help finding a hair clip that will actually hold and keep all of my long hair in a bun at the top of my head. I do not like using hair ties, as I feel they end up breaking my strands no matter what type I use. 

Yes, I have got to drugstores and target, ect. but all they have are the same 5-6 types of clips that don't fit my hair at all. Either because they are too small, too long, not shaped in a way that will keep my hair up, ect. 

To clarify, since I'm not sure I'm describing these very well, I'm talking about the butterfly type, claw clips that people use to keep their hair up!

Any advise on what has worked for any of you long haired ladies would be so greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

Heatoyos1

Re: Need help finding a (claw)hair clip that will fit all of my long hair!

I had this problem when those turbie towel wrap things came out, and they didn't fit my long hair! I was so bummed after all the infomercial hype :smileywink:

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Funny that you mention this, Heatoyos1, I had the same problem! I received a really cute one with cupcakes on it as a gift, but only half of my hair fits into it. It's what I call long, thick hair problems :smileywink:.

Best,
Randee
mdelrosario91

[ Edited ]

There's a product called "Twist N Clip" from an infomercial! My dad bought it for me one day and I thought it was a joke, but now I'm eating my words! My hair is a little bit past my belly button, so I stretch out hair ties very easily, and it hurts me after a while :smileysad:

upload_4029810621670914523.jpg
PS: He bought it at CVS.

kiml50

[ Edited ]

image.jpg

I also like to use these claw clips, very handy

cpeezy

(0) Hearts

these do not fit all of my hair!! unless Im doing something wrong! can you post a photo of your up-do with this clip?

kiml50

(0) Hearts

Sorry for the late reply, it's the end of the semester and it's kinda hectic haha but here how I do it

image.jpgimage.jpg I twist it up like I'm doing a French twist but instead of pinning it, I just use the clip. I hope that was helpful, I know it may be kind of hard to see because the pictures are a little blurry and my hair is as dark as the clip haha :smileyhappy:

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

I recently found my claw clip at Walmart (in store). It's by Goody and has rubber inside and my long, very thick hair stays put. Also the teeth a more coiled than straight across like most other clips.

Capture.JPG

DTalksAll

Get some Goody Spin Pins! I have thick, long hair & use those to keep my hair in a bun. I have 4 long & 4 short. Usually end up using 2 long & 2 short, sometimes I need more, sometimes I need less. 

upload_5649213817801823662.jpg

kiml50

Goody spin pins are the most amazing inventions ever for holding up buns! They're totally not a hoax :smileyhappy:

cpeezy

I've been thinking about trying these for a while! Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Stacie1987

(0) Hearts

Spin pins are AMAZING!!!  The saddest day of my life was when I cut my hair to my shoulders and realized that I no longer had enough hair for the spin pins to work.  If you don't have enough hair, they'll just slip right out.  But as long as you have enough (either by length of thickness) for the pins to tightly wind into, these suckers will stay all day long.  I used to sleep with them in.

DTalksAll

Yup, really easy to use, just don't interlock them. Which is why I use a few short & a few long. 

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]

Hi cpeezy!

I have pretty long hair and I'll be honest, I have never found a claw large enough to fit all of my hair at one time. I recently purchased the Sephora Collection Hair Clips and I am pretty impressed! I will use 2 to 3 of the clips and they clip all my hair back securely. I like using these for when I'm blow drying my hair or washing my face. :smileyhappy: 

upload_2264424702123747870.jpg

Best,
Randee
cpeezy

thanks!

lylysa

My hair is past my hips and to the point where I sit on it sometimes, I found that the best thing to do is use one or two smaller butterfly clips and anchor them on opposing sides of my buns when I need to throw my hair up real quick. I don't spend a lot, drugstore brands and even some at wholesalers in basic black or neutral tones do since eventually the plastic teeth do break. 

The smaller clips also fit better and aren't so bulky that they end up dragging your hair back down. I've used ones with and without plastic grippy pieces inside and to me the difference is minimal. Try to be sure once the end of your bun is laid and tucked into hair that when your clip touches into that part it also touches into the body of the bun itself. If you just clip that last tuff of hair to the outside it's bound to slip out easier. I try to tuck it into my bun then then clip so it grasps the fuller body of the bun and that weight holds that end piece in place better. 

My aunt got a two-pronged hair pin for me from Japan on a vacation once and it also holds amazingly well. There's a slight curve to it so it conforms and fits to the curve of your head when tucked into hair so it's no uncomfortable and the hold very solid. If you look up "Two prong hair stick/pin" you can see what I'm talking about.

cpeezy

Thanks for the tips! Going to try that out! I have a bunch of smaller butterfly type clips are those what you mean? Like 1in size?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I've bought the 1" Goody six pack of two black, two brown, and two tortoise shell clips from Walgreens and what not. They're decent enough and I clip one everywhere. I have one in my bathroom, one in my car, one at work, one in my purse, I just scatter them all over for "whenever I need one" moments.

I also work with the 2" ones that have more than the 3 teeth on each side, those aren't bad either but I ran through my twelve pack and went with a 15 pack of 1/2" black clips. I've already had to toss some because of broken teeth since they only have 3 teeth per side. The 2" ones did better because I could lose a couple teeth and they'd still hold pretty well.

DTalksAll

Oscar Blandi has a 3 prong. I just find it pulls at my hair in some spots & is too loose in others. I haven't played with it enough, but maybe a 2 prong is better for me :/ 

upload_4407368987911740686.jpg

lylysa

I never used a 3 prong one before! I find the key with these prong pins is twisting hair as you make your bun so everything is more "gathered".

cpeezy

(0) Hearts

Does this come with instructions? Hehe

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • kiml50
    • mdelrosario91