Answer
binahazel
My black hair makes me look too pale
(0) Hearts

My hair is dyed black but I would like to go to a yellow/blonde color. My question is should I wait until the black fades out before I try to go blonde, and can anyone recommend an at home hair dye that can be purchased in drugstores that will actually turn dark hair light blonde?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
katykaboom
Answered
[ Edited ]

I agree with the others; to go from black to blond, it would be wise to have a professional do it.

However, if you absolutely must do it yourself, I suggest L'Oreal's Quick Blue bleach. It's good at lifting colors quickly, though I'm not sure about black to blond; the most I've ever used it for is lifting one Manic Panic color to do another.

Speaking of Manic Panic, if you find your blond is too yellow for your liking, MP makes a toner called Virgin Snow. It's violet (violet cancels yellow tones).

Both products can be purchased at Sally's. Though I really do urge you to have a professional colorist do such extreme lightening!

Also, when I'm preparing to bleach my hair, I always use Redken's CAT (a protein reconstructing spray) a couple of showers before and a couple of showers after bleaching.It helps protect your hair from damage and helps to repair damage. My last stylist who took me from black to blond suggested it.

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • alyxandrea
    • katykaboom
    • binahazel
    • thepinch181