sjsharksgirl408

Long, Thick Hair... but it needs some help

Hi! I have really long, really thick dark brown hair, and I have a LOT of hair. My hair seems to lack shine and it's always frizzy. I'm really self conscious about it and I just really want it to feel and look good! Best shampoo/conditioner and all that fun stuff to help with this?

lylysa

Re: Long, Thick Hair... but it needs some help

My hair is down to my hips, wavy, and super thick.

I've used Living Proof's No Frizz line and it worked wonders on my hair. It didn't weigh down or make my waves lifeless, but it did help smooth everything overall to help define shape, but also make it more manageable.

LP is a great line for taming frizz because rather than use heavy silicones/waxes to lock out humidity and moisture, which may work in the short run, but can also form water impervious barriers around the cortex of strands, which in the long run will lock much needed moisture out, leading to dryness and even more issues with frizz, it uses what's called a polyfluroester to tame frizz. This makes hair very lightweight, but still controls frizz very well!

Since your hair is thicker, rather than use a taming/shine spray, try a cream, oil, or serum. The formula will be a bit richer and have more weight to where it will add to the manageability to your hair rather than just rest on top. Creams, oils, and serums are better suited for thicker or heavier hair types as they will absorb and hold better in that texture. Macadamia, argan, and coconut oil are great natural alternatives! Plus the key is application, start with a dime sized amount of product, rub together in your hands and start distributing the product from the middle of the hair shaft to the ends, avoid applying product directly to the root as this will make the top of your hair look greasy and flat. You can lightly skin over the top of your hair when there's just a little bit of product left, but avoid starting at the top! :smileyhappy:

NikkiShops

As someone who also has the type of hair you have described, I can vouch for arielaaaaaaaa's response! The Matrix Biolage Shampoo and Conditioner are wonderful. I also use a truly amazing product that was recommended to me by my hair stylist. It's called "It's a Ten" and it's a leave in conditioner that makes your hair shiny and look very healthy. It seems to take the weight off of my thick hair and makes it so silky smooth. It also has other benefits such as being a heat protectant. I highly recommend it. It's not expensive and the results are salon quality. I use it prior to blow-drying my hair. I also use a flat iron because that makes such a big difference as far as texture and frizz go. After flat ironing I use After Party by TIGI which helps to control fly-aways and also adds additional shine. All of these products are used and suggested by my hair stylist and my hair has never looked better. Hope you find the right combination of products for you!

Manda

(0) Hearts

I'm going to say no to the flatiron, especially because frizzy hair means your hair is dry and flat ironing will only temperary mask the problem.  First off, I would start deep conditioning your hair as well as use a leave in conditioner.  It will help to close the cuticle, creating shine.  Also, you could do a apple cidar vigar rinse, which will also close the cuticle and create shine.  When rinsing out conditioner, use cooler water.

Also, product depend on your type of hair.  Is it straight, curly, wavy?  Curly hair is the dryest of all hairtypes and therefore, needs the most moisture.

helpful

Loooooove the Alterna Kendi Oil for frizz! Works wonders.

arielaaaaaaaa

Flat Iron is a must, It straightens the cuticle making your hair shiny. It doesn't take long either with a good flat iron, If your interested i can give you a few suggestions. Frizzy hair is caused by a lack of moisture in the hair. I'm a Hairstylist and one shampoo and conditoner i find very moisturizing is the Matrix Biolage Hydratherapy. Very good! It can be bought at Salons or inside the Jcp Salon, they have good prices on it. The condition balm from that line works extremely well! As far as styling products, I have very frizzy hair and i use the Alterna Bamboo Kendi Oil, and mist. Keeps it shiny and frizz free when i flat iron it. Keep in mind there is no magical product that will take away frizz completely unless you get a pricey salon service, so flat ironing is essential. 

desertbr4t

(0) Hearts

you should consider using a flat iron. bumble and bumble offers shampoo, conditioner, and styling product called straight. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • Manda
    • lylysa
    • helpful
    • desertbr4t
    • NikkiShops