summersuite

Is there such a thing as a healthy hair spray?

(0) Hearts

I use hair spray to add volume and hold my hair in place.  It's also great for keeping my hair from getting greasy and not having to wash it every day.

Is hair spray damaging to hair?

Is there a hairspray that has better ingredients in it?

Thanks!

beautylovingirl

Re: Is there such a thing as a healthy hair spray?

(0) Hearts

It is more damaging to wash your hair everyday than to use hair spray.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

The trick is to know which alcohols are good and which are bad. Ethanol, SD alcohol, alcohol denat, propanol, propyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol are all drying in excessive use since they help to cut down dry time.

Good alcohols are emollient and help to smooth hair's surface and include lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, steraryl alcohol, cetearyl alcochol, and behenyl alcohol.

If you're using hair spray to add volume as well as hold hair in place plus combating grease, have you by chance looked into using a dry shampoo mist? Dry shampoos can absorb excess oils produced by the scalp and help give that "healthy/dirty build up" in hair which allows for volume and better styling so the roots aren't as flat (kind of like how day-old hair is better for styling compared to freshly washed). Use that along the roots some and then use a finishing spray to hold hair in place so you're not solely relying on a hair spray to do all the work and risk drying your hair.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I use alternate between Kerastase  hairspray and Pureology Zero Dulling Hairspray which both make my hair really shiny.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I use Alba Medium Hold Hairspray.  You can purchase it at stores like whole foods or online. Last time I ran it through EWG database (build your own report) it scored a 2 out of 10 for toxicity - which is REALLY good for a hairspray.  Many other hairsprays are rated 5+. My Aveda Control Force Hairspray was rated a 5 (build your own report tool).

Another line that is pretty good when it comes to toxicity is Giovanni.  I have their heat protector spray. 

Hope this helps you on your quest.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Summersuite,

Try using a hair spray that is paraben and sulfate free! I highly recommend the Living Proof Straight Spray

http://www.sephora.com/straight-spray-P288302?skuId=1344969.

or the Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Humidity Hair Spray

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-anti-humidity-hair-spray-P283317?skuId=1333574

Many hair sprays contain alcohol so try using the spray a few times a week to prevent your hair from feeling dry:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • beautylovingirl
    • summersuite