nebel

Is there anything that actually accelerates hair growth?

Once upon a time I had very long hair past my waist.  This was, oh, about six years ago.  In the years since, I've taken my hair on a wild and very fun ride (my favorite being a Louise Brooks inspired cut about two years ago) swfupload_951462214900031836.jpg^ That's Louise Brooks :smileyhappy:  

anyhoo, I let my stylist cut my hair super short (above the ears) for a competition/modeling shoot in April. I loved it at the time, but now I'm all "OMFG I WANT HAIR AGAIN" and the growth process is killing me.  Isn't it funny how we can get instant gratification by getting a new short cut, but then deciding we want a longer style is JUST THE WORST?  I'm hoping to be at least channeling Ms. Brooks again by October, and I have about two inches to go but I'm IMPATIENT.  Is there anything that *actually* makes hair grow faster, or is it one of those pipe dreams like cellulite-removing creams? 

xoxo,

L

midnightangel

Re: Is there anything that actually accelerates hair growth?

Just thought I would help clear this up.

Human hair grows between 0.25" and 0.50" per month on average. Your rate of hair growth is determined by your DNA - nothing can change it. No vitamins, no products, no wash methods, nothing.

So no, there really is no way to make your hair grow faster. A lot of companies sucker people out of their money with claims to the contrary. You see "miracle products" advertised all the time and there really is no such thing. They are banking on your naiveté and profiting from your ignorance. There is no "miracle cure." A pipe dream is exactly what it is.

The only real thing you can do is wait for nature to do its thing.

Of course there are ways to nourish your hair inside & out to make it healthier while it grows out. That's where the vitamins and conditioning treatments come in. They won't make your hair longer, but they can help it look & feel nicer when it does grow out.

Actually, the only thing you really need for long, healthy hair is a good diet, lots of water, plenty of sleep and unlimited amounts of patience!

I have grown my hair to waist length plenty of times and have been part of many longhair communities. I also have a scientific background so yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Hang in there, chica.

Lee9

(0) Hearts

I've heard a lot of great things about pre-natal vitamins. I haven't tried them myself because I have other things I need to spend money on atm.

I do certain things to help my hair stay healthy, though, and I keep it natural.

I keep up a very nutritious diet - cutting out a lot of meat/dairy/carbs and gravitating toward fruits/veggies/nuts and especially avocado. I have half an avocado every single day. This will all do wonders for your skin, as well.

I wash my hair only 2-3 times a week - I can pull this off because I don't really do anything with my hair besides brushing some oils through it and putting it back with a headband or in a Teeny Tiny ponytail. You spend less money on products to keep your hair moisturized and healthy because your natural oils do the job fine.

At first, your hair will be oily. Stick through it because after a while, everything regulates.

I do hair masks on a daily basis with a number of different things. My favourite is mixing avocado, olive oil, and egg yolk, then leaving it in my hair. I usually watch a movie to pass by the time, then wash it out in the shower.

If you look online, you'll find loads of natural hair masks you can mix together in your kitchen :smileyhappy:
For supplements, I take flaxseed oil softgels, biotin, and the Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins. I also add ground flaxseed to fruit smoothies and other things like peanut butter.

I really like the Organix Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo & conditioner, as well as the Chi Silk Infusion leave-in treatment. It helps protect your hair from heat damage, and even though I don't use styling irons, I do live in Florida and it gets hot.

Anyway - i'll leave it to other people to give you product recommendations. I just think it's great to have both man-made and natural remedies for all your beauty needs.

Londonlover101

I totally know what you mean girl! Im trying to grow my hair out too! try not washing your hair for a few days at a time so all the natural oils can be distributed. eating a well balanced diet and taking vitamin E vitamins could definetly help growth but other then that be patient and don't stress your hair out with styling and tons of products. Good luck and have a nice day!

tashalicious

Getting pregnant worked for me, lol. seriously i really don't think you can speed up hair growth, the only thing you can do is keep it healthy and prevent breakage, ask your stylist about keratin treatments, its a protein that strengthens hair and healthy strong hair equals growth . :smileywink:

HMNewbie

(0) Hearts

Well, I am so not doing that!

pinkonyx

pre-natal vitamins work well.

jennypenny1995

I'm 1.5 years in the growing out process from a pixie cut, so I get ya!  I swear by 2 things: 1) fish oils (I take Omega 3-6-9s) and 2) massaging your scalp well when shampooing and conditioning.  My stylist says my hair grows like crazy, and my nails do, too.  So, must be those!

prosopon

I would also agree with the fish oils.  My hair stylist suggested it and I did some research online and, though nothing is totally conclusive, anecdotaly I noticed a difference in myself.

I had some hairloss due to stress and after taking omegas I had regrowth in the problem areas and other new growth all around my head.

arielaaaaaaaa

After reading everyones comments you have gotten a ton of good advice. Biotin is the way to go. But also try scalp stimulation. 

When you shampoo your hair just make sure to give your scalp a good massage to help stimulate your hair growth!! I do it everytime i shampoo, And my hair grows crazy fast. I can't say with a guarantee it's gonna help but doesn't hurt to try. 

nebel

Nothing feels as good as a scalp massage!!! :smileyhappy: I am thankful, as always for everyone's rockin' advice :smileyhappy:

dianabt

@nebel YES oh those are great with those tingly tea tree oil shampoos or lavender scented ones! .. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
bananachoox3

Besides these awesome recommendation and advices you got already try using organic coconut oil. Supposedly it helps with growing out your hair and provides many benefits to your hair! Try rubbing it in your hair and leave it on for some time and then wash it off, or you can even sleep in it with a sleeping cap as a mask.

Meg82

I know what you mean about it being the worst.  I have a buzz-cut and have for years but lately I've been toying with growing it out and it's the WORST because my hair looks so stupid in the in between stages.  So stupid.  I don't know if I have it in me to have that much awkward happening on my head.

dolceloure

haha I had the same experience -- got a cute short cut, and was super happy with it, and within a week I missed my long hair!

I've been taking biotin supplements - 1 a day - for maybe 7-8 months. I've definitely skipped plenty of days, and I skipped May entirely b/c I was travelling and forgot to bring my bottle with me! Anyway, all that said, in that space of 10 months, my hair has grown a little over 3 inches I think. That probably seems like very little, but my hair is INCREDIBLY slow to grow, so that's actually pretty good for me, haha. Plus, I only take one capsule a day, and I think you can take 2. I was only reluctant to take that much b/c when they say it stimulates hair growth...it means wherever you have hair, lol. Another bonus with biotin is that it's also great for nail health.

If you're interested, you can get vegan biotin from Trader Joe's. :smileyhappy:

phuff

I had major surgery for an internal hemorrhage. I lost hair by the hand full.  Standing in front of the vitamin isle I noticed a common ingredient. BIOTIN. Without wasting money on the many fashionable hair help , BIOTIN cost less than any other names.  I would recommend this to all because it if 

nebel

Seems like a good rate to me! average hair growth is about a half inch a month, so if you got three inches in less than a year that's speedy!

I love me some Trader Joe's! I will pick up some biotin for sure :smileyhappy:

dianabt

@Lkuhle YUP me too! It won't go past my shoulders anymore before it feels like a broom that's been sweeping the same floor for the last 50 years and I am FORCED to cut it!  haha 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
LKuhle

[ Edited ]

Oh god, I wish it was easier to speed hair growth. I've been attempting to "grow out" my hair for YEARS, but my reliance on heat styling seems to make that impossible. My hair always stops just past my shoulders and stubbornly stays there until I trim it again... and the process repeats. darn split ends, haha.

Really all that can help with the actual growth is diet and vitamins. It's keeping the hair growth that's the hard part... which is what I struggle with considering I have so much breakage.

prosopon

I have also heard from multiple sources that biotin does help hair grow, but I have also heard that it doesn't just grow more on your head.  Granted, I do not have first hand experience on this because I did not want to take the chance, but I just wanted to give you all the info about biotin.

nebel

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I absolutely need to be better about my vitamins!!  This is the length of my hair right now more or less, this photo is a few weeks old.  The tips are violet and teal and platinum and I've been wearing lots of scarves to hide my several inches of ash roots which are growing in. swfupload_3396617382944916097.jpgMy goal is to let my natural color come back, strip out the teal, and have the whole thing dyed plum in the fall.  Despite all the color processing, my hair is still very healthy because of the quality of the stuff my stylist has been using (Goldwell Elumen- this stuff is AMAZING)  which can be pulled from the hair without needing bleach.  (oh, and the pup was a rescue transport from NC to my shelter who has since been adopted out into a loving forever home!)

xoxo

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 71 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • prosopon
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • annonymous1
    • dianabt