nebel

Is there anything that actually accelerates hair growth?

Once upon a time I had very long hair past my waist.  This was, oh, about six years ago.  In the years since, I've taken my hair on a wild and very fun ride (my favorite being a Louise Brooks inspired cut about two years ago) swfupload_951462214900031836.jpg^ That's Louise Brooks :smileyhappy:  

anyhoo, I let my stylist cut my hair super short (above the ears) for a competition/modeling shoot in April. I loved it at the time, but now I'm all "OMFG I WANT HAIR AGAIN" and the growth process is killing me.  Isn't it funny how we can get instant gratification by getting a new short cut, but then deciding we want a longer style is JUST THE WORST?  I'm hoping to be at least channeling Ms. Brooks again by October, and I have about two inches to go but I'm IMPATIENT.  Is there anything that *actually* makes hair grow faster, or is it one of those pipe dreams like cellulite-removing creams? 

xoxo,

L

Spyski

Re: Is there anything that actually accelerates hair growth?

Love the pastels and the pup! I'll have to check into Goldwell Elumen, never heard of that brand. 

nebel

They have absolutely exquisite colors, and the colors do not need to be oxidized (bleached) to be removed once they are in.  The stylist uses a product called "Release" which simply reverses the polarity of the hair and sucks the color right out!  It takes a lot longer (we had some marathon sessions... my hair was pastel pink right before this) but it is SO much gentler on the hair.

And I love YOUR hair pics below.  OMG you're beautiful!

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Girl, we're all beautiful and thank you!

That sounds like a really technologically advanced process in terms of hair coloring. I don't think they have a salon that does that in lil ole Mississippi lol

annonymous1

trims & biotin vitamins, theres also a shampoo called "Mane & Tail" and yes its a horse shampoo, my grandma is from kentucky and reffered me to it, and in about 4 months my hair has grown maybe 3 inches? which is alot to me, my hair barley grew before this shampoo, it also keeps it really sleek and shiny 

mityren

Mane and tail is fantastic. I also get the "prenatal" vitamins from the dollar store. Just vitamins with lots of good stuff in it. And I make sure I'm taking in calcium. I drink 2 glasses of milk a day plus yogurt for lunch. 

Spyski

Oh, don't start me with Mane & Tail! That stuff WORKS! I've never tried it, but my friend swears by it although her hair has a very straw-like consistency but since she's been deep conditioning it has gotten better and much more smooth :smileyhappy:

annonymous1

it really does it was a miracle! Biotin and prenatals are also really good for your skin & help stimulate nail growth, milk does the same thing as well like @mityren says 

clarks18

I also agree with trims.  Every 6-8 weeks.  Getting all those split ends out of there really helps.  I've also heard prenatal vitamins and flintsone vitamins ha.  I think trying to eat more fruits and veggies and lots of water really helps too.  I hear you though.  I wish there was an overnight cure for this problem!  Maybe one day.

Spyski your hair looks great in both pics!  Very pretty.

Spyski

I agree with trims! I have bangs myself, and have to do a bang-trim every week. Just the tiniest difference makes a HUGE difference. I had a similar cut but not as sleek (very stacked in the back) about 1.5 years ago. My hair growth and strength has transformed immensely since I've been using sulfate-free shampoos. Other than that, just limit the amount of ammonia and/or bleach if you get colorings done. It can also depend on your diet. I have a pretty worldy diet HAHA which means I eat all kinda of foods and I'm sure if I was healthier about my pickings I would see more hair growth but I'm quite satisfied with the grow-out outcome so far :smileyhappy:

Here's a before and after (time lapse was 1 year on this pic) 

beforeafter.jpg

Also, I've heard Biotin vitamins help a great deal. Good luck on your growing!

sephoralovex

You're so pretty!

My current hair is about the length of your picture on the left but a bit longer. And it's taking forever to grow out! So for the time being I'm stuck wearing clip in extensions :smileysad:

Spyski

You're too kind. I tried clip-ins for awhile but never really got the hang of em and kept showing through my hair. I was more self-conscious of someone being able to see the threading or them falling out then the actual growing out stage of my own hair. I just said screw it and let it grow out on its own. Now that it is long, I'm wanting my shot bob back lol

That's the thing with us women. We always want what we don't have. Haha

sephoralovex

I agree! It's been about 6 months that I've been wearing clip in extensions and I'm still not used to it! But I love long hair so until my natural hair is the length I want, I'll just have to deal.

dianabt

Hi there nebel!

The good thing is that hair grows faster during the summer (so I've been told!) and while there is no overnight fix, you can speed up the process with Vitamin B supplements and also hair protecting serums and treatments that will keep your hair from breaking and splitting.

Personally my hair grows faster the more I trim it, especially my bangs! There are other OTC treatments like viviscal and even our Phytocyane Revitalizing Treatment which helps with thinning hair ( may also be beneficial if want the appearance of thicker hair as you grow yours out.)

I also suggest, when in doubt.. go with hair extensions! I love extensions (I use clip ins to limit the damage on my hair that glue, tape or the bonds can cause) and you can even find human hair ones that can be curled and straightened. The real solution? Patience! :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 71 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • prosopon
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • annonymous1
    • dianabt