daisydaisies

Is an expensive flat iron worth it?

I ask because I currently have a Conair ceramic flat iron. I've had it for 10 years, and it has never let me down. I think I probably paid $40-50 for it. Unfortunately, it's nearing the end of its life. I looked at the flat irons Sephora carries, and some of them (GHD) are crazy expensive, and others are (Dry Bar, T3) are still more than I have ever spent on a hair tool.

So, I'm wondering for those of you who have one of these pricier flat irons and have also used a drugstore brand - is it worth it? And if it is, why?

Thanks so much :smileyhappy:

daisydaisies

Re: Is an expensive flat iron worth it?

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the recommendation!

kelsey808

(0) Hearts

I think if you use a straightener enough, it's a good idea to invest in a high quality one. I've used Conairs, Chi (until they were bought out by another company and their quality dropped) and a couple random brands that my salon carries but nothing comes close to my GHD. I used to really abuse mine and it's the only one that has never broken or lost heat. It heats up fully in seconds and is just amazing. I'd highly recommend it (:

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

I have to admit that my Conair is good, but it does take a few minutes to heat up. It never occurred to me that some could heat up more quickly. Thank you!

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've a CHI but purchased when you could only get through a salon..years ago..still going strong, and gets very hot. Also have a conair, it does the job also..with adjustable temperatures - may not get has hot as the CHI, but does the job, pretty sure it's ceramic also.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

sundaespal

I bought a CHI that never got hot enough for me and died after 8 months. I'm happy with my Remington, which I got at Walmart, for now.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

katief241981

(0) Hearts

Ok, so I DEFINITELY think there is a huge difference between drug store flat irons and more expensive ones.  I agree with DGGirl that it probably does depend on your hair.  If you have fairly fine and pretty straight hair already you maybe don't need to spend the big bucks.  But my hair is wavy and can get pretty frizzy and  out of control. Especially down here is humid Louisiana.  I have a Paul Mitchell flat iron I love and has lasted me years. I invested the money because it is a tool I use all the time.  I cannot say I have seen a huge difference between the "Uber expensive" and "moderately expensive" flat iron.  I will say I believe it pays to go up to the $100 range.  Depending on your hair type, you may not need more than that.  

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thank you! Yes, my hair is pretty fine. I also don't use the flat iron everyday, which has probably helped my Conair last so long!

knadala

(0) Hearts

I absolutely believe it is. My dad got me one for $175 and it lasted me 6 years with no malfunctioning. I only opted to change my hair straightener because I wanted a different model and brand which gave me more function in terms of what I was looking for. Also, you only want to expose your hair to good quality, or you'll be paying for it with damaged hair.

However, I did get a hair curler from Conair at my local drugstore and it was less than $10 and did a great job for 5 years.

My suggestions is go for something with ceramic plates, different temperature options, and a brand you have read good reviews on.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thank you very much for this advice! :smileyhappy:

EllieyJelly

(0) Hearts

My hot tools one works good for me. Eliminates frizz and heats up fast, no complaints here and I don't plan on buying an expensive one anytime soon. It's not drugstore cheap but ulta has them on sale often :smileyhappy: 

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I'm not sure we have that brand in Canada, but I will check out my local pharmacy (I don't think we have Ulta here either).

EllieyJelly

(0) Hearts

Hot tools is a pretty well known brand offered in a lot of places. 

Beauty.com 

Soap.com

JCPenny offer them I believe. 

I'm not really sure what's available in Canada though. I would imagine it's available in Canada but I live in CA so I'm not sure.

Carmen241986

(0) Hearts

Hey we don't have ULTA in Canada lol. 

DeltaGammaGirl

It depends on the texture of your hair. I have naturally curly hair, so cheaper ones don't get the job done. Drugstore brands cant even compare to my GHD. I had the same one for years and accidentally got the cords wet, so I replaced it. But I will never use anything different. It ends up doing less damage to your hair because you barely have to pull it through your hair and it's extremely smooth. I could go on forever about my ghd. It is an amazing tool and they last forever. I also get to purchase all high-end hair products at cost, so it is pretty easy to justify. But you wouldn't regret the investment.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thank yo for this! I hadn't thought about hair texture. Mine isn't curly (it has a slight wave) and it's quite shiny naturally. It sounds like the GHD is great for your hair! I'm glad you like it so much!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • lissay
    • lovelykatya
    • suxx2bu
    • JenBlush
    • kelsey808
    • rdesigns