GothGirl00

I have two problems, - Puffy hair and - Acne , being a teenager is so hard, help? .~.

I'm 13 years old with brown hair past my shoulders, very puffy. I feel very awkward in the morning when I walk in the classroom, my mess a hair, and self-counsious about my face. I have bangs that cover the top half of my left eye, and the only wait it looks good is when I straighten my hair. But that takes a long time and I only have a reduced amount of time in the morning considering I Must leave my house at 7:45 or sooner. I wake up at 6:30 so my time to do something to my I hair is awfully short. So.. Any ideas on how to style it? Or. Any other advice? 

Thank you c:image.jpg

fhgarman

Re: I have two problems, - Puffy hair and - Acne , being a teenager is so hard, help? .~.

First, I just want to say that you are a very, very pretty girl. And it's a great photo! :smileyhappy:

I think I probably have a few more problems than that of your hair texture. Mine is naturally curly, frizzy, thick and has too much volume, aka poufy. I feel like telling you to use a flatiron at your age is bad advice because of the heat damage it will do to your ends. Although, that is what works for me. Also using a line of products for anti-frizz really does help (shampoo, conditioner and serum). The silicone based serums really do work, but it's up to you if you like the feel. Others are sometimes oil-based. If your scalp tends to get oily, try to use the product mostly on the ends of your hair. And if you feel ok about, try to wash your hair every other day. Also maybe think about washing and drying your hair at night before bed. You might feel like you have to dampen your bangs and dry them out in the morning to get them the way you want, but you won't feel as rushed. I feel the same as you, even if I leave the rest of my hair curly, I still blow out and straighten my bangs. I have actually always used a 1-inch curling iron to straighten my bangs. Less likely to get a crease like you can from a flat iron. A basic one is super cheap and you can style your bangs curled under a bit like in your photo.

And you may know this already, but I didn't learn this until after college from a stylist. Use a large round boar-bristle brush to blow out your hair. You might be able to style and dry your hair without using a damaging flatiron.

I have sporadic adult acne and I'm 37 now, but I don't think I can give you great advice about adolescent acne even though I had it. There are so many products and new advancements that I really know nothing about. But I can say that if your parent or parents are up for it, seeing a dermatologist would be a wonderful thing for you. A doctor can help immensely in teaching you about how to care for you skin for the rest of your life. And you may not even have to go to the dermatologist regularly - maybe just a few times until you find the right products and routine for your skin.

And of course you've probably heard it before. SPF, everyday! Forget if it's rainy or gray outside - you still have to put it on. Wear it every single day for the rest of your life. Your older self with thank you!!!

I wish you all the best. :smileyhappy:

gingerblack

Re: I have two problems, - Puffy hair and - Acne , being a teenager is so hard, help? .~.

(0) Hearts

In the picture your hair doesn't really look poofy, more like nice volume. Anyway, I think an higher end straightener works nicely at flattening out hair quickly. When I'm in a rush I usually like put both sides of my bang area pinned back with a bobbi pin then have my hair down or up. If I wear it up I usually put it in a pony tail and like twist it into a bun kind of so it looks neater. If you want your bangs down bc of acne then that is cute as well. Even better when they are down you can curl them with your straightener to make them a bit curly around your face. An angled bob would also look really nice on you! 

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Well it doesn't look that puffy because it was the day after I straightened. :smileyhappy: yes, but my banlo look curved upwards pointing like an arrow if I dont make it straight. Angled bob? Hmmm... Never thought of that one c: but I'm really trying to grow out my hair :/ 

rdesigns

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I agree, an angled bob would look great on you!  I wore my hair that way for a few years, loved it, and am sorry that I now cut it shorter.  The angled bob was also very easy to take care of (I get the frizzies and horrible mishapen waves that look more like "bends" in my hair).  

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

ps. when I was 13 I straightened my hair with a clothing iron to get it super straight…  please don't do that it only damages it haha. 

manniface

(0) Hearts

geez your hair looks so much better than mine was when I was 13/ junior high- I was in an emo phase and had this awful 2" wet-to-dry hair strainer and my bangs always looked creased and awful. oooh I also wore this horrible cream eyeshadow from hot topic in neon blue! but anyways...

A lot depends on your hair's natural texture but first of all I recommend conditioner cleansing; this eventually changes the oil production so your hair doesn't get greasy as fast and styles last longer. I also find my hair is less frizzy and it is softer. However, note the word EVENTUALLY; it takes a while for your scalp to get used to you not stripping all of its oil off so you have about a 3 week period wear it can look and feel kinda gross. this is kinda similar to no poo but i like it better. 

I also like the It's a ten spray heat protector leave-in conditioner stuff; it cuts down on frizz and allows hair to be much more manageable. 

Also for growing out hair i am a huge fan of pretty he'd bands the stretchy kind, not the hard plastic ones- target has some cute braided ones. 

I'm lucky enough to not deal with acne so I cant help on that front but I hear that Paula's Choice has excellent stuff. 

veronika23

(0) Hearts

OMG you are gorgeous!!!!  Ok so I did my hair at night and in the morning would just fix it.  Maybe pass the straightener again where you have the puffiness and bumps. Cuts down on the hair time :smileywink:

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

You are a very pretty girl! 

You have such wonderful eyes.  I would try pulling your hair away from your face and draw attention to your eyes. Your hair is a good length that you have so many options for pony tails, braids, etc.  Plus, they are quick to do in the morning (I am so not a morning person...lol).  

I suffered from acne when I was a teen (and I still get it occasionally even though I am now 50).  If you can see a dermatologist, I would highly recommend it.  There are many treatments and products these days that are quite effective.  You don't have to just suffer through it.  You also do not want scarring from acne.

If you cannot see a derm, I would recommend an acne treatment line of products.   I would try to find a line that uses organic ingredients because many of the products we use and are exposed to on a daily basis have hormones (mainly estrogens) in them.  Also try to stay away from pesticides or any product that is not free of them.  All of these chemicals will affect your own hormones (which will affect your skin), and they can be very dangerous in the long term.  I believe my fibroid tumors are a result of exposure to a lot of pesticides and chemicals when I was younger, for example.

As many others suggested, try to find hair products that are anti-acne.  I recently changed my hair style, and I now have a sweeping bang on one side of my face - and guess what! - I now have acne in that area from the oils and other chemicals from the hair products.  Hair sprays are particularly bad for acne. I know I am going to have to throw mine out and get one from my dermatologist!

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your opinion! Thank you, I do tends to always hide my eyes behind my bangs ( I don't know I'm just really anti-social xD )    After thanksgiving break my mom said she'll take me to the dermatologist, :smileyhappy:.   I'll try wearing braids or ponytails but my layers are so annoying when it comes to hairstyles that involve putting my hair up 

hanami

(0) Hearts

Your picture is beautiful, but if you would like hair with less body and less acne try the following:

Hair:  wash your hair at night and let it air dry until it is damp then add a small amount(quarter sized amount) of conditioner and work it through your hair, then twist your hair in a low bun.  In the morning it should be wavy, but not puffy when you release it from the bun.

Skin:acne maybe the result of hormones, sensitivity or inadequate cleasing

Consult a dermatologist if possible, be mindful of soaps, or anything that you put on your face to determine if your skin is sensitive to those items.  Minimize touching your face and make sure that anything that touches your face is clean(including your pillow)  

Hope this helps! Let me know.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Thank you!! I'll try that!! :smileyvery-happy: but like... conditioner after you get out of the shower? 

kariyava

(0) Hearts

Yes, I think that is what she meant.  I am not sure what product she is suggesting exactly, but there are leave in conditioners.  I use one from Garnier.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Oil from the hair and hair products can contribute to acne. Try to keep hair off your face, especially if acne is on your forehead from bangs. Also have heard panthenol (Vitamin B5), Pantene gets it's name from this, and/or variations are loaded in hair products, shampoo/conditioner, etc. that can cause acne*.

*Acne meaning on face, back of neck in hairline, shoulders, back, chest :smileyhappy:

Bumble & Bumble hairdresser's invisible oil is a lightweight oil that will smooth and shine the hair without sitting on top, like some hair oil's do. I have very thick natural curly hair and this absorbs quickly, can be used on wet or dry hair. Also use a product inbetween heat styling, otherwise you will damage your hair from the heat..with a product inbetween it may look like there's 'smoke' (during flat ironing) but it's just the product and is NOT damaging your hair.

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

What about straitening your hair only a couple days per week and the other days wearing a braid or ponytail? Can you skip a day or two between washing your hair so that the style lasts longer/

I have no idea what is acceptable in middle school these days, so I might be totally off on these suggestions. You can spend a lifetime fighting your hair's natural texture - much easier and less stressful to find ways to work w/ it. 

As for awkward - you look great. I should dig up one of *my* 13 year old photos so you can really see awkward. Braces and it was the 80's so there was some huge hair and blue eye shadow involved and tragically unskilled use of a curling iron. 

GothGirl00

I'm currently doing that but it's still a little hard not to wash my hair everyday xD about the hair do's yeah I use my ponytail with my bangs down, a braid, that, I NEED to learn, I swear I've tried but it comes out so sucky :c plus I have layered hair soo it's a little complicated. Maybe I'll use braces, not sure though ( I wouldn't say my teeth are that bad) already used glasses, nodding enjo being called alien, 4 eyes, etc. so immature >.> 

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

I agree you should embrace your hair's natural texture and stop straightening it. My sister uses a flat iron every day and her hair is like straw.

One of the easiest remedies for huge hair is serum or oil. Just rub a few drops between the palmst of your hands, then smooth them over the length of your hair, especially at the ends. You can use a spray detangler for extra manageability too. Not sure what your budget is but you can find these products in any price range. Olive oil is especially easy to come by, but use it sparingly and keep it away from your skin.

As for the acne, hey...I've had disfiguring cystic acne my entire life - yours is nothing! If you're worried about it, you can try an over-the-counter product that contains either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. You can also find these products everywhere from drugstores to high end chains (like Sephora).

If your acne is hormonal, the pill can help immensely. But you will have to see a physician or dermatologist for a prescription and remember to get regular checkups.

If your acne is genetic, see a dermatologist.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

I'm guessing my acne is hormonal because I get either those little packs of hundreds zits, or one or two of the volcano ones, my mom did have acne but not as bad as mine, she says. 

Eh, I thought I olive oil was good for your skin xD fail. I don't like how it feels, so damaged even if I do use some treatments. ( hair )

jessicahdz

(0) Hearts

your look so nice here in this picture. when i was 13 my hair has a hot mess lol i had it up to my chin and it was so puffy i hated it. so at 14 i started straightening my hair and it looked much better. i think the best thing for u to do is straighten it at night before u go to sleep and just touch it up in the morning before school or u can always wake up earlier then 6:30. i use to wake up at 5:45 so shower get ready and do my hair. it was early but that did help me a lot with time.

GothGirl00

(0) Hearts

Thank you c: , i do like how my hair looks straight, but can't you feel the damage ?   Wow yeah! I wake up around 4 am anyway, I GET UP at 6:30, but I wake up really early because of my insomnia . Thanks for the advice! ^~^

marydiva

(0) Hearts

Hey @GothGirl100 - the site won't let me reply directly to you, b/c I'm not in a Chrome browser. But what I mean by tossing your shampoo is this - look up the "No Poo" method. You'll be surprised to learn that you're probably accidentally stripping your hair by shampooing it. Curly hair is NOT the same as straight hair and requires totally different care. A nice creamy conditioner is all you need. Don't blow dry - always air dry. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • jessicahdz
    • marydiva
    • kso1225
    • veronika23
    • Winter
    • hanami