hthranng

I Need major hair HELP!

Okay ladies, so I have naturally curly hair, I have tried pretty much every shampoo and conditioner, and tried every hair gel, and styling cream. Nothing seems to help keep my curls stay soft and frizz free.(seems like nothing works anymore) I have tried Deva curl I purchased the low poo cleanser and one conditioner and it seems that product makes my hair dry and super knotty. I also purchased the styling cream that deva curl makes still seems to make my curls super dry and frizzy!!!! I am going nuts trying to find a product that is affordable and keeps my curls healthy and gorgeous. I really need some help! Can anyone help me find out what kind of products will work for my hair???!?! 

mberteig

Re: I Need major hair HELP!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have naturally curly, almost kinky, hair and I color it as well.  Really disliked it when I was a kid, because no one knew what to do with it, but I love it now.  I use shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair, and I deep condition a couple of times a week.

After I wash and dry my hair, I apply a couple of pumps of Keune So Pure Curl Enhancer (it has argan oil plus other goodies in it, I buy this from my hairdresser and a bottle lasts me about 6 months), work it through, and then before styling, I work in a little bit of styling mousse.  

This works for me.  One product I have recently tried and I also really like is the Phyto Phytomist leave in conditioner.  Looks like Phyto recently changed their packaging as when I look it up now, it looks different than the bottle I have at home.  Anyway, I find that this product really defines the curls.  I use it occasionally, when I mix up my shampoo and don't condition, then I use this as a conditioner and styling aid.  I will also use it on dry hair, like on the second day after washing, to refresh the curls.

Corrina777

(0) Hearts

The trick to finding the right products for your hair is understanding your hair properties. Most important is texture- are the individual strands fine or thick (this is different from thick or thin density hair- for example, my individual hair strands are fine, but I have a ton of hair, making it thick in density). Hair on the finer side generally does well with protein while hair that is coarser in texture typically can't handle large amounts of protein. Next up is porosity- does your hair dry quickly or take forever? Do you have a history of frequent coloring or use of heat tools? Hair that is higher in porosity can usually also do well with protein. 

I can't say enough about the Curly Girl method, as it did completely transform my hair. I also know that there's a ton of reading and learning that can go into finding the right products. One option to really help you narrow things down is a hair analysis. For under $25 you can send samples of your hair and have them analyzed. The woman I recommend has an Etsy shop and is a real scientist- ahe gives an amazingly detailed explanation of your hair and what it means when shopping for products. Feel free to message me for more info. 

hthranng

(0) Hearts

well I would say my hair is on the finer side but I have a lot of it. usually dries pretty quick does not take too long but long enough for my medium length hair. My hair has been threw SO much damage. Bleached several (A LOT) times, I used to straighten it but not as much now, and recently went back to my natural color dirty blonde, with some blonde low lights. So starting to get my hair in the right direction it is just a pain when it breaks off and frizzes out but I just need to find the right products it gets frustrating especially when I cant find a good stylist. I need to check out the Curly Girl method 

Corrina777

(0) Hearts

I completely understand.  Based on the level of damage you're describing, you will likely need to cut off at least some of the damaged ends.  I went through this several years ago.  I did one large cut (from armpit length to lip length bob) and got regular trims until the really damaged hair was gone.  In the meantime, it sounds like your hair needs serious TLC.  A good protein treatment can help temporarily patch up some of the damage, and be sure to follow that with a good deep conditioning treatment to get moisture back into the hair.  A super easy protein treatment you can make at home is to dissolve a packet of unflavored gelatin into about 1/3 cup of water, (you can use 1/2 a packet the first time as a test).  You can add a bit of coconut oil, honey, or your favorite conditioner.  Leave on for 5-20 minutes, under a plastic cap and rinse out- follow with deep conditioning treatment (Shea Moisture makes a good one that's relatively inexpensive).  And of course, try to avoid direct heat styling.  Drying with a diffuser on low to medium heat is fine, but curling irons and flat irons will absolutely cause further damage (temps above 165 F have been shown to immediately cause micro-damage to the cuticle- the protective layer of hair.  The average flat iron is at least twice as hot).  There's a great website with info for "Naturally Curly" hair that has tons of info on Curly Girl method, products in all price ranges, etc.

hthranng

(0) Hearts

Yikes! yeah i totally dont think I could handle getting my hair cut above my shoulders...I just got a trim actually today and my stylist who washed and trimmed me said my hair wasnt TO  bad but needs some help ! I think I am going to try your suggestion of the gelatin packet and either coconut oil or honey. Iv'e been avoiding straightening my hair haven't in a long time actually. worst part I am a daily hair washer...starting to wash every other day but it is so hard with my job since I work in health care I just feel gross after work most of the time. I think this is why my hair is the way it is though everyone I talk to they all say oh I wash it twice a week....But I never tried it, cause I always re-apply products day in and day out.  

Corrina777

(0) Hearts

I still cleanse my hair pretty much daily- I just use gentle cleansers.  Cleansing conditioners have been fantastic for this.  Since you didn't care for Deva, a few good cleansing conditioners are As I Am Coconut Co-Wash, Eden Body Works Co-Wash (both available at Sally's and very reasonably priced).  For a little more money, Curl Junkie (online only for most people) has a very nice cleansing conditioner that is a bit more moisturizing than Deva No-Poo.  I also suggest looking into Spiral Solutions for a daily conditioner and deep conditioning treatment (the owner recently moved to an Etsy shop).  

midnightangel

[ Edited ]

The problem is you're overthinking it. :smileywink:

Try this: When your hair is wet, rub 1 or 2 drops of extra virgin olive oil between your palms, then run them down the length of your hair, concentrating on the ends. When there's no more oil on your hands, you're done. Gently scrunch your curls and let your hair dry naturally. Voilà.

I do this to my sister's hair, which is naturally curly, and it works like a dream.

hthranng

(0) Hearts

omg i never heard of that:smileyhappy: !!!  I have to try that! did you ever use gel or a styling cream after it though to hold the curls threw out the day?!

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

Nope, no styling products whatsoever. Just the oil was enough to keep the frizzies away.

If you find you absolutely need a gel, try 100% aloe vera gel (the clear kind, not the green stuff with painkillers & dye in it) instead of regular hair gel. It's natural and doesn't dry your hair out like regular hair gel.

I used to belong to several long hair communities which were totally against styling products of any kind. They favored a more natural approach.

hthranng

(0) Hearts

Ill have to try this!!!!!! My one friend uses Aloe vera gel but my friend is a guy so hes just spiking it up. But I totally have to see how it works with my hair!!! :smileyhappy:   

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

Hve u thought of having your hair professionally straightened? have you tried the at-home keratin products?

hthranng

(0) Hearts

yes I straighten it at times and have my hair dresser do it but never thought of having it chemically straightened before. and I have its a 10 keratin it is really good but it is $ pricey :smileysad:

Clakent

(0) Hearts

Anything that has argan oil in it. I got some pro naturals moroccan argan oil for my hair, their products are sulfate, sodium and silicone free so they’re super moisturizing.
They’re good for frizz too, plus they smell great.

hthranng

(0) Hearts

I think I tried the maraccon oil once and it did nothing :smileysad: but Its a 10  does work for me but it can add up in price since I use a lot of leave in 

anaa

(0) Hearts

Another line you might want to look at is Ouidad.  There is a great shampoo, Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil, and a conditioner I like is Curl Recovery.  I do agree that the products you use to style are important too, and that is trial and error.  I use styling products from both Deva Curl and Ouidad.  My hair is colored and can become very dry and frizzy, so I use leave in Ouidad Hydrafusion Intense Curl Cream after shampooing and conditioning, and I will use some kind of oil as well.  It doesn't tangle, so I can't recommend anything for that, but I highly recommend going on the Ouidad site and taking a look if you haven't already.  I didn't have as much luck with Carol's Daughter, but I think the Marc Anthony line is great.  Try to look for sulfate free products, it does help.

hthranng

(0) Hearts

I heard of Quidad! Didnt try it yet though. I love the styling products from deva curl but HATE the No Poo and Low Poo cleansers, plus the one conditioner they do nothing for my hair but knot it up :smileysad:   I so need to check out this line Quidad, also love Marc Anthony line :smileywink:  it is fantastic !!!! thank you for the suggestion!!!!

SydBristow

That must be rough. :smileysad: I have fine hair with a bit of natural curl, my hair frizzes very easily and I was very frustrated. Using products like Wen and Deva Curl help, but what seems to make the most difference is what styling products I use afterwards. The Be Curly prep and cream by Aveda work well for me. I also really like the argan oil by Marc Anthony (I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond).

Not sure if this would necessarily work for you but wanted to put it out there in case it might be helpful.

Best of luck to you, please keep us posted on how it goes!

hthranng

(0) Hearts

ughghghgh it is rough but it is going to take time to figure my hair out since it has been threw SO much damage! (bleached, bleached, straightened and oh yeah bleached.) Im totally going to look more into the Marc Anthony line and this line Quidad! thank you for your tips and suggestions! 

lovebird411

Sounds frustrating!

Questions for you---how long did you try the DevaCurl Products for? Are you following the CurlyGirl Method? Have you tried Carol's Daughter products?

hthranng

it is very frustrating, I have been using deva curl for about a month now the low poo cleanser makes my hair knotty and the one conditioner does not help it doesnt seem to soak in my hair. 

and when i use deva curls styling cream it just doesnt seem to work like how it says :smileysad:  

No i did not try that brand where is that sold? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • anaa
    • eboneezer
    • hthranng
    • JGSFLA
    • midnightangel