Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

How to get a high ponytail that STAYS

So I see tutorials on how to create gorgeous high ponytails with volume. I can not seem to master this. 

When I pin the poof it always falls flat within seconds and the ponytail always sinks down and doesn't stay high. 

Any advice? 

I've seen stylist videos where they use this tool where it's like a hair band with bobby pins on the side. I'm so curious about this. 

Thanks in advance

Re: How to get a high ponytail that STAYS

I got the Invisibobble from Sephora and it works like a charm!

Hi, curvygirl!

High ponytails definitely want to push the limits when it comes to testing gravity, and depending on your hair type and thickness, you may need to alter the approach and tools you're using. For example, if your hair is very thick or long to where the weight of it tends to pull hair down so it won't stay at the very top of your head, you may consider splitting hair into portions to create one, slightly thinner/less bulky ponytail and then having portions along the side of hair swept back over to "cover up" this initial ponytail to give the appearance that it's one seamless ponytail all together like in the below tutorial collage:

Image result for high ponytail tutorial

If hair is also particularly thick or even textured to where a normal ponytail holder just doesn't have the strength to maintain a ponytail's shape, try a thicker holder (known as the Burlyband):

Image result for thick ponytail holders

To help boost the look of volume and height for a ponytail, you can also experiment with using a longer bobby pin/hair pin or even a small alligator-style clip underneath a portion of the ponytail to give a nice "bump" to the look.

Image result for ponytail holder pin

Image result for ponytail clip add volume

If you're looking to create volume at the crown/front of the face and find that by the time you pull the ponytail taunt it eliminates this added volume, try to section hair. Similar to the first tutorial collage, have the middle to back portions of hair gathered into a ponytail first. From there, backcomb and style the front portions that you left down to work to the level of height and volume you need. From there, gently sweep the loose hair back and delicately tie that hair into the existing ponytail with a light touch so you're not pulling the hair that has been backcombed flush to your scalp. If needed, take the back of a teasing comb/the longer pointed piece and stick it into the backcombed/higher areas and pull upwards a bit to further emphasize and work the height. You can also use your fingers to gently pull segments up if needed. The below images illustrate this, but they also show a variation on how the hair in the front is loosely added to the back/initial ponytail. Instead of gathering all the hair together and adding it to that initial ponytail, they're working gradually with portions to overlap the back ponytail and are pinning those initial longer pieces over and in place. Play with techniques to find which you may best like and to give some subtle differences to the look. 

Image result for ponytail clip add volume

Ways to Create Volume to Your Ponytail

The web has a whole host of tutorials, from image collages to follow-along videos, so do some searches and practice to get hands-on experience on the techniques!

wow thank you so much for all of this help!! it was great!!

You're welcome! 🙂 Have fun trialing techniques to find what works best for you! 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing