Answer
brittany0859
Highlights for medium brown hair?

I'm wanting to get highlights in my hair. My hair is medium brown with a reddish tint in sunlight. I'm thinking I want to go pretty light. As light as i can go while still looking natural. (no zebra stripes or platinum or anything). I have fair skin (don't tan) and green eyes. Im just wondering if getting highlights would wash me out? A girl in my class has blonde hair and she got highlights and they made her look sick! Also, what colors should I ask for? Caramel, honey, cool, ash, etc?

Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
roxystar4
Answered
(0) Hearts

I foil my own highlights and it sounds like we have a similar hair color. I have medium brown hair with a reddish/gold tint in the sun. I wear NC20 (fair/light skin) with brown eyes.  I opt for warmer colors versus platinum which washes me out (I have done highlights and all over hair color).  I like melissabt's suggestion of a honey color. The colorist should have swatches that you can hold up to your hair to see the contrast. 

janinebt made a great point about having the colorist apply the highlights a few inches past your hairline. I never foil right on my hairline (i think it doesnt look natural).  I foil starting 1.5-2 inches back and when I pull my hair in a ponytail it looks really natural but you can still see the highlights. 

SAHMOhio also had a great tip about neutral base & only going 3 shades lighter.  

I do use bleach and then tone but it is really high maintenance. If the colorist you go to can use a product that can noticeably lift 3 shades without bleach - i say go for it! My hair has a hard time lifting 3 shades without bleach (without turning really brassy/red).

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • janinebt
    • roxystar4
    • brittany0859
    • SAHMOhio