Has anyone else tried no heat on hair?

No heat challenge?

Re: Has anyone else tried no heat on hair?

(0) Hearts

Very rarely do I blow dry or curl my hair.  From the time that I shower to the time I'm at work, even my past-the-shoulders hair is dry.  It tends to stay a bit wavy if I let it dry like that.  Even better sometimes is washing at night and "pillow-drying" it.  :smileyhappy:  Sometimes I just need to mist the top of my head a bit with water to tone down some of the direction my hair is going it, but I get lots of volume.  Either way, it's better for my hair!  :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I'm growing mine out from a super short cropped pixie cut I got back in like... 2009/2010? So since then I haven't used pretty much any sort of heat unless it is a special event. (pictures, diner parties, holidays etc). As it gets longer I find I want to reach for it more, I haven't had any issue with like... drying or breakage from heat but I also make sure when I do I use protectant. 

(0) Hearts

Hi cloudyq102,

I try to use minimal heat on my hair and I have found that this has really helped preserve the overall health of my hair. I think the longest I have gone without using any heat has been about a week. On average, I use heat 2 to 3 times a week at the most. I used to use heat every day and I definitely think my hair more healthy now than it was back then. :smileywink:

Best,

Randee

Best,
Ty

(0) Hearts

I very rarely use heat and I stopped color processing my hair a few years ago.

I cut off a foot & 1/2 last summer (all the processed stuff)

Aaaaaaand my hair is still a dry mess. 

(0) Hearts

I never seem to have issues. I hear alot of drying out and damaged hair, but mine is ok.

I use a flat iron every other day. 

I use alot of heat protecting spray and loads of conditioner when taking a shower.

I mean A LOT. 

So I dunno. 

(0) Hearts

I find that heat really fries my fine hair if I use it too much, even if I throw in a bunch of heat-protection products in my hair. :-( BUT since I like to keep my hair so short, I can usually get away with finger-teasing and fluffing it with some texturizing gel and it'll look nice. I wash my hair every other day because it gets way too oily to stand waiting any longer, and I condition after every wash. I was always a little jealous of fuller, thicker hair, and to be honest everyone in my family has short hair, so I had to learn proper hair care on my own... with mixed results. I'm open to advice and suggestions because beautiful hair is always something I've struggled with for ages!

I rarely use heat, unless it's a special occasion. I always let my hair air dry, deep condition, Don't brush it while wet (And even when dry, limit it to a wide tooth comb and do that rarely) and I don't bleach my hair. 

While I find it helps, I still have unruly, frizzy hair. It bugs me... why can't I have naturally smooth hair? 

Most days, I let my hair dry most of the way, then roll my hair in a silk headband while I sleep. When I wake up, I finger brush my hair out, and I have lovely soft curls. Orrrr I just braid it if I'm lazy :smileytongue:

So, I am trying this!  I'm washing my hair every 2-3 days at night and letting it air dry.  I'm loving the natural wave!  The only time I am tempted is on 2nd day hair---I feel like I need to throw in some hot rollers to combat frizz.  I will try getting my hair a little damp and adding in some smoothing product.  

We'll see how long I can carry on...

While I can't go heatless, I do only wash/blow dry my hair once a week and deep condition it after every washing.  I do also lighten it, so there's some damage, but it's very under control and I'm still getting length added on.  

I straighten/curl my hair every day that I have work. I did do a no-heat for 6-7 months and the results were amazing. I also quite dying my hair during that period and my hair *now* still looks amazing. Its soft, shiny, no split ends. I deep condition my hair thoroughly and air dry it. Now that I have the results I want (my hair was severely damaged from bleaching and using heat and no protection), I make sure to only use the best on my hair and take great care of it :smileyhappy: I recommend anyone who has really damaged hair to try it. 

(0) Hearts

Question: How do you deep condition or use a hair mask? I've tried putting coconut oil or a Carol's Daughter hair mask, but I can't get it to spread evenly on all of my hair. Do you have any tips?

Shampoo, towel blot, put on deep conditioner and then let it sit up to a half an hour. If you do not towel blot, very few conditioner will soak in.

(0) Hearts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but just one more question: what do you use to spread the treatment? I've tried my hands, comb, and hair brush, but I always miss some patches while other patches get very moisturized. 

(0) Hearts

I use my hand.  Starting from the ends, I work my way up towards the scalp.  Then, you can take a widetooth comb and comb through your hair, to help spread the product a bit more. :smileyvery-happy: I usually use a good amount of dc though, if I use a little, I will add some oil to it to help improve its effectiveness.

(0) Hearts

Yes for like a 5 months? and hated every minute of it..I don't know about you but I don't like going to bed with wet hair. So I had to barrow a blow dry...but think about it, your in the sun, the sun has heat. 

(0) Hearts

I rarely use heat but it's still frizzy and dry :smileysad: 

I haven't used any heat on my hair for almost a year now, and I've noticed that it's healthier, smoother, and less frizzy. I stopped because a perming treatment that made my hair wonderfully wavy also wonderfully damaged it. The only complaint that I have is the lack of volume, now that the waviness has died down. 

I'm thinking of heat styling my roots to give them more volume, but I'm still searching for a good heat-protectant product that doesn't irritate my skin/scalp.

(0) Hearts

I only style with heat about 4 or 5 times a year- usually curling my straight hair for a special occasion.  My hair grows healthy, quickly, and gets very long, and I attribute it to not using heat on my hair and washing 3x per week.  Good luck!!

(0) Hearts

I never use heat on my hair. Mother nature dries it with the air every day, that's all I need. :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I've tried and failed but I didn't really see a difference. I heat style my hair pretty much every day. I know it can be bad but I take measures to make sure my hair is healthy. I only use sulfate free shampoos and conditioners, I'm a Wen girl, and I protect my hair when styling. The one week I didn't use any heat, I didn't like the results so I had to go back.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats