Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Hair loss caused by LIving Proof - What products help repair and please help!

I used Redken Color Extend Magnetics for a while and noticed increased hair loss, so I tried Nexxus Color shampoo/conditioner. The Nexxus caused very little hair loss, but it didn't clean my hair and left it weighed down and feeling dirty.

So, I tried Living Proof products and my hair is majorly falling out, so much that other people notice and I can see my scalp! I'm freaking out and looking to try new shampoo/conditioner (obviously) but am afraid yet another product line/ingredients will make it worse.

Seriously, as in clumps of hair stuck in the drain, on the floor, and falling out while I am just sitting at my computer at work...OMG. I'm probably sensitive/allergic to something in it and no, allergy testing is not an option (too expensive).

What products will help my hair regrow and look less thin, and also help it look volumized asap? I know it will take a while to grow it back. My hair in general is very fine, straight, and tends to hang no matter what I use, so I don't really mind just want my hair back. I am so sad and self-conscious about this. 😞

UPDATE

I have a happy update!

I did more research about my issue and decided to try Yes to Carrots Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner and after the first wash, ZERO hair was in the tub! Even after I combed it, the difference was dramatic. I know for sure I am either allergic to the silicone-related chemicals (silicones also make my face get little bumps) or the sulfates. It is probably silicones since I use sulfate free hair products for the most part. So, am  quite happy to have halted the hair loss with Yes to Carrots until I see my doctor in the future.

Really, a huge difference. My boyfriend and I did a little dance of joy when he saw the hair-free tub 🙂

Hooray!

Thanks for your support when I was freaking out. Hugs to all of you.

Re: Hair loss caused by LIving Proof - What products help repair and please help!

Had a hysterectomy at 25, so was loosing a bit of hair from that. Drains clogging all the time. When washing my hair I brush it first to keep hair out of the drains and still have to remove hair from my fingers as I'm washing it. The backs of my shirts were full of hair all the time. Then had covid, hair came out by the clumps. Someone recommended the living proof shampoo, but I refused to pay that price. Also heard about viviscal supplement. Started taking it and within 2 weeks noticed a difference.  I'm into my 3rd month, No hair on the hoodies of my coats, found one single hair on the back of a black shirt I had worn all day, no hair coming out on my fingers as I wash my hair. Will continue to take this supplement and curious to see if my hair thickens. 🤞🙏

RE: Hair loss caused by LIving Proof - What products help repair and please help!

Haven’t read the other responses but I’m glad you are going to see your doctor. Iron deficiency anemia can cause hair loss as can any stressful or traumatic illness.
Anonymous Insider

Re: Hair loss caused by LIving Proof - What products help repair and please help!

I also had MAJOR hair loss after using the living proof products, it was so distressing. I previously had healthy non dyed hair. Unfortunately it took me a few months to figure out Living Proof products were the problem because the hair loss did not start until after a few weeks of using the products. Not only did living proof make my hair fall out it also made it EXTREMELY brittle and damaged. Once I stopped using their products my hair stopped falling out within a week but unfortunately my hair still felt destroyed. Josh Rosenbrook and Innersense shampoo and conditioners both work well for me and helped my hair recover, though two years later my hair is still not what it was. I bought all of my Living proof products directly from living proof, when I told them about the hair loss they refunded me in full and said a scientist would be reaching out to ask questions but they never did. I am so sorry for anyone else that has experienced the same loss and damage.

I started using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Split End Mender about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it took me until today to realize that’s what's making my hair fall out in clumps in the shower. I have no proof, but it’s the ONLY new thing I’ve added to my hair routine. So much of my hair is falling out in the shower that I cried. It’s clumps, not just strands. I have thick hair normally and in just 3 weeks my hair has thinned out so much that I don’t even know what to do with it. Their products should be taken off the market. 

Anonymous Insider

Same happened to me, I am so sorry its such an awful feeling. Agree something should be done!

I get Folliculitis which can cause your hair to fall out. I recently tried the new living proof thickening cream and amp2 something cause some irritation. I’m sure it was the amp2 since, you put it more towards the scalp. It doesn’t help I was slacking on my multivitamin for a week which caused some hair loss. I’ve also, lost weight which doesn’t help the hair loss. I love the Kenra Platnium collection on sale from time to time with ulta supersized 40 a bottle or when on sale 20 a bottle. I also, would recommend a good B as you get older women lose their B supply. I also, read to take iron, vitamin C and biotin. To not over do it like my over achiever personality I would recommend a really good multivitamin. I take the Hers CLA by bodybuilder which gives me a clean energy. I use to take prenatal vitamins for hair loss. I’m trying to get back on the vitamin C 1,000 mg with my multi vitamin for the healing properties.

Late to this game, but here is a link with info about products sans preservative methylisothiazolinone (MI) and related preservatives such as methychloroisothiazolinone (MCI), benzisothiazolinone and octylisothiazolinone:

http://mi-free.com/cosmetics/hair-products/ 

OMG, my hair has been majorly thinning and I use Living Proof too!! My part is wider, my hairline is receding slightly. YIKES!!!! Thank you so much for this post. I never thought it could be my shampoo. I'm going to switch up shampoos and see if it stops.

Sorry it happened to you as well. My hairline is where I first started noticing it, but after watching ingredients and doing a major overhaul of hair products, My hair is looking better and yours will soon, I promise! 🙂

Anonymous Insider

What did you switch to?

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I found this thread because I'm in the same boat. It was like a night and day thing when I recently started using Living Proof Restore Shampoo and Conditioner. Thankfully I was using it only every other day for a couple of weeks before I started getting suspicious. It reminded me of post-partum hair loss; shedding like crazy. I did a bit of research on ingredients, and there is one that has been brought up as a factor in hair loss from other brands (including Wen.) It's called Methylisothiazolinone, and it's a commonly used preservative (and allergen.) Hopefully anyone else encountering this problem can keep their eyes peeled for that ingredient in case it's a trigger for hair loss in some people.

Wow, thank you all for posting this.  I have always had scalp issues and a few months ago fully transitioned to ACV wash and it was getting better.  My hair however needed some conditioner and I had a bottle of Living Proof conditioner and started using that after the ACV wash recently, and I am now back to the itching, scalp sores, etc.  I will not be using it again.

This now also may explain the excessive shedding I experienced last summer, when I was definitely using LP shampoo and conditioner daily.  

I used the ACV rinse one time and threw the rest of it in the garbage.  My hair felt like super dry straw, my scalp was itchy and started flaking.  It took about 3 weeks to get it back to its original conditioner.

@ragdoll4mom What are you using now? The ACV rinse has helped my scalp but my hair feels like straw.  

I alternate between Pureology Hydrate and Wen.

@ragdoll4mom How do you like tthe Pureology Hydrate shampoo? My hair has been dry lately.

I love it!  It makes my hair super soft.  The conditioner has a minty scent, but the shampoo doesn't.  If you have issues with mint or methol, you may want to steer clear of the conditioner.  It has menthe arvensis oil, menthol, and peppermint leaf extract in it.  The shampoo doesn't have any of those ingredients.

I love mint 😄 I'll add them to my list 

Oh wow, thanks so much for posting, I didn't know that about Methylisothiazolinone! That was probably the culprit since I haven't had that many problems before, even will silicone/sulfate products. Thanks. I did a ton of frantic research and didn't find this out until you posted it. Good to know.  I wish chemicals weren't everywhere 😞

Ugh hate metholisothiazoline and methochlorisothazine? Unsure if I spelled it right. I'm searching for a shampoo conditioner that si sulfate free and free of this preservative. It make my scalp itch so bad I have had sore on my scalp. I wish the US would ban it.  They are awful and are linked to neurotoxicity and allergic reactions. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing