staringatstars

Hair Lightening

(0) Hearts

Hi guys and gals!

I've been thinking about trying to lighten my really dark brown Asian hair for the summer.  I would probably go get highlights, but the 'rents both refuse to let me dye my hair (they think it's too pretty as it is now). But, I'm sick of the color! I've had it my whole life and I want to change it so badly.  I've been researching products such as Sun In and other lightening agents, but I'm realizing all of these products have warnings for people with darker hair, saying that the product will lighten but will bring out more red tones.  I was wondering if anyone has used hair lightening products before and can maybe give me some suggestions. 

quotidianus

Re: Hair Lightening

I'm going from very dark brown to blonde slowly.  The stylist I go to is using balayage to get me there over several months and it's less damaging to the hair.  It also doesn't scream 'highlights' but looks very natural.  I've played with my hair a ton over the years, but when going from dark to much lighter, I've always gone to a professional.  It's worth the money to have it done right.  Hair done the wrong way--especially at home--can take a year and much more money to really fix...

rjamlt

[ Edited ]

I would be hesitant to lighten my hair too much without seeing a professional. I have super dark brown ( almost black ) hair, but strong red under tones to it. If you do try and lighten I would take baby steps. Since your parents will not let you dye your hair- like Killahbabe said- you may end up with unhappy results.

When I was younger I tried to go two shades lighter with a boxed dye. I ended up with Garfield orange hair and had to have it professionally restored. The whole process did some serious damage and I ended up with about four inches having to be cut off. 

If you do go the sun in or lemon juice method make sure you take extra care to condition your hair while trying to lighten it to help combat the drying effects lightening can bring about.

Good luck!

chupi

Holy moly! They still make Sun In?! I used that when I was 12. I can still remember the scent. 

Manda

Please don't use sun-in. Whenever I hear that word being mentioned, it makes me cringe. It tends to be damaging towards the hair.

chsu2016

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

This was me about 2 years ago when I did it, and now it has changed back because I am too lazy. 

This is what I could find on my photo stream from 2 years ago.

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 10.44.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 10.44.43 PM.png

killahbabe

I personally wouldn't use Sun-In. It tends to end up red or orange-tinged for a lot of darker haired gals. PLUS, if your parents wont let you dye your hair, Sun-In is kind of the same thing. If you truly are fed up with your hair and want to try something fun, have you considered hair chalk or hair mascara? You can get away with adding fun streaks of color and mom and dad can't be mad because it washes out. I have Sephora's Sultra in Capri Coral and I used it so often a couple summers ago that I went to the salon and dyed a permanent coral streak in my hair because I loved it so much. ***You may be able to see it in my avatar picture*** Another solution would be adding clip-ins to your hair (if you really want blonde).

http://www.sephora.com/color-hair-mascara-P312211?skuId=1417740

staringatstars

(0) Hearts

I've tried hair chalk but because my hair is so dark, the colors rarely show up.  Maybe I'll try out the hair mascara though! It looks like a very interesting product.

manniface

(0) Hearts

A trick is to spray hair lightly with water first (blondes don't do this it can stain your hair) also you can use softer/more-pigmented chalk pastels from an art store ( I used to do this way before hair chalk came out).

Another trick is to heat style your hair after using the chalk- that helps it stay on better. 

chsu2016

(0) Hearts

Thats a good temporary option too! But for me, I have fairly dark hair and it never made my hair have any reddish/orangey tones.  

killahbabe

(0) Hearts

Even though I have light hair, it turned me a gross brassy-orange tone. My sister got a rusty reddish hue (she has black hair). Granted, this was back in the 5th grade, so the formulation could be better now. But the fact that it still has warnings on it makes me think it's probably not any better and it's impossible to tell if the OP will be lucky and not have it happen or be unlucky and end up having orange or red in her hair. Both me and my sister ended up having to get it professionally colored, and since the OP's parents wont let her dye her hair, she could get stuck with it being orange or red. :smileysad:

chsu2016

(0) Hearts

Aw killahbabe that sounds awful that you had to get your hair professionally colored after that! Did it ever grow out?  And yes there is always a possibility and chance that she will get some reddish tones, but then I recommended the lemon juice which may not be as effective.  Lemon juice is the most natural way to lighten.

killahbabe

I ended up getting a Malibu treatment, which is really good at getting rid of the orange/brassiness. And then they put a toner on top of that to make it all one color. So it never peeked through again. But it cost me about $150 to reverse the damage that an $8 bottle of Sun-In caused, so I'm not a fan. haha.

chsu2016

(0) Hearts

Sun-In is a great product you can find at the drugstore.  I've been using it for years during the summer time to highlight streaks of my hair and it works very well. It is sun/heat activated. If you want a more natural approach, go with lemon juice.  You can buy some fresh lemons and squeeze them directly onto your hair at the beach, or make a spray by buying the pre-squeezed lemon juice and directly spraying it into your hair then letting the sun do the rest. I use both lemon juice and sun in and both work well.

staringatstars

(0) Hearts

Do you also have darker hair or are you more blonde?  I'm just worried that I'm going to buy this and regret the results so much.  I've heard dark haired girl say the love it, and some hate Sun-In.  Also, does it dry out your hair a lot?

chsu2016

I have dark dark brown hair. Almost black but not fully black because I have a 15% Irish background.  I love sun in because it works great for me and I do not plan on ever dying my hair.  It depends which method you use: the instant blowdry after you spray sun in, or the natural direct sunlight.  Of course blowdrying is damaging but other than that it did not make my hair red, it made it a medium light toned shade of brown.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • chupi
    • Manda
    • manniface
    • staringatstars
    • rjamlt