Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

HELP! I'm in search of a shampoo that's good for oily hair/oil control. I can't get one day of my hair after washing .. TIA

Re: HELP! I'm in search of a shampoo that's good for oily hair/oil control. I can't get one day of my hair after washing .. TIA

Fellow oily here! Following! 

Re: HELP! I'm in search of a shampoo that's good for oily hair/oil control. I can't get one day of my hair after washing .. TIA

Howdy fellow oily hair gal!

The harsher the shampoo you use, the worse it gets. I finally jumped off the clarifying/stripping shampoo bandwagon a few years ago, and can now get 3 or maybe even 4 days regularly. (I previously had to wash my hair every single day, like you).

The products that turned out to be my holy grails were Nexxus Hydra Light shampoo (their lightweight moisture line) and Nexxus Humectress conditioner (their moisture conditioner...I only used it on my ends and up the middle of my hair, avoiding the roots). Moisture seems counter intuitive, but it does slow down your oil production over time (it won't happen over night; there will be a balancing period). This routine got me to an every other day wash cycle. 

To go even longer, the next step is dry shampoo. Every night before bed, I lightly spritz my hairline and part. Doing it at this time makes finding a holy grail less important...even if it leaves a bit of white powder, you'll sleep it off and look fabulous in the morning. I'm currently using Eva NYC, but will use whatever samples/freebies/cheapies I get...I've tried many and never found my HG, but using it at night doesn't matter much anymore.

These exact items may not be the ones that work as well for you, but start considering light moisture instead of harsher shampoos. My ends are fairly dry (I don't color or heat-style, but I only cut my hair once a year so the ends still dry out a good bit), so a heavier conditioner was needed there, but light moisture on my roots helped balance out the oil production.

Good luck!

@RGbrown this is incredibly good advice!

I've oily scalp too, and dry ends. Have been trying to go a day in between washes. Gonna try out the dry shampoo at night idea

@SpoiledRabbit yay! I hope that works as well for you as it has for me. I read that tip a while back somewhere here on BT, and it has been life-altering. Such a simple idea that I never would have thought of if it weren't for the lovely folks here! 🙂

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing