Answer
lorenabee
HAIR WITH NO VOLUME

I've been struggling with volume problems for a really long time & I need help on finding an oil that adds volume to my hair but is also a heat protectant and tames frizz. Any suggestions on products or advice to add volume to my hair? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 3
lylysa
Answered

Oils are generally going to work against the addition of adding volume as oils themselves are more weighted, and in the instance of adding volume (especially to your roots), oil will just weigh the roots down and make the hair look greasy. Though certain oils are incorporated into styling products to add shine or as thermal protectors, you're not going to find much in the department of a "volumizing oil" as in most cases it's contradictory.

For a heat protectant that also tames frizz, try looking into products like Alterna's Smooth Kendi Oil or Carol's Daughter's Macadamia Heat Protection Serum (I think Sephora just discontinued this, but it's still on the CD homepage).

In terms of adding volume, try Phyto's Phytovolume Actif Volumizing Spray, the formula works with heat tools like your blow dryer to form expanded bonds between strands to amp up volume. Most volume inducing styling products will incorporate the use of a blow dryer or heat to activate ingredients.

You might also consider using volume boosting shampoos/conditioners, which contain lighter formulas and moisturizers so hair isn't as weighted. Living Proof's Full line boosts volume and tackles frizz. They don't use any silicones or waxes, which can dry out hair and lead to more frizz and can weigh hair down, instead, they use polyfluroesters to smooth and tame locks, while also remaining weightless.

dianabt
Answered

Hi Lorenabee,

I have pretty fine and thin hair as well and I hate to say it but there are really no oils that will help with volume. They are great  to apply (in small doses!) to the ends of your hair to smooth, soften and repair the ends but putting them too close to the root and scalp will weigh your hair down and make it look greasy.

I LOVE to use the Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Heat Protecting Spray which is a lighweight aerosol to keep volume to the hair and not weight it down while protecting it from heat styling:

Oscar Blandi - Pronto Dry Styling Heat Protect Spray

http://www.sephora.com/pronto-dry-styling-heat-protect-spray-P293525

I also like the Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Spray which is SUPER lightweight to add a bit of shine and moisture without weighing your hair down too much:

ALTERNA - Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Mist

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-kendi-oil-dry-oil-mist-P278004?skuId=1312792

As for volume, my favorite is the Alterna Bamboo Volume Uplifting Root Blast. Spritz a bit on damp or dry hair and then give a quick blast with a dryer or a teasing comb for intense volume, or just spray a bit and move your hand in a slight circular motion for volume as well:

ALTERNA - Bamboo Volume Uplifting Root Blast

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-volume-uplifting-root-blast-P288535?skuId=1333640

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
OzarkOrigins
Answered
I have very long hair. I use Argan oil mid-way down my length, root lifter in my crown area, and a heat protector lightly on my length, concentrating in the tips, sparingly on the crown.  I have used a multitude of products from high-end to low-end, and have learned price isn't a determining factor in product effectiveness. I buy Salley's One N' Only Argan oil, L' Oreal's root lifter ( silver bottle), and Tresseme's heat protector spray. To build more volume after my blow out, I spray in Elnett's hairspray for color treated hair with UV protection (gold can with red label, and Kardashian favorite). Bumble & Bumble has another good spay, but it's more expensive. Anyway, I layer it through my root area, then gently smooth my style with a wide tooth comb, not a brush. A brush will just pull the volume right out. When building volume, the only brush you may want to utilize is a tease brush, exclusively at the roots.
Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • lorenabee
    • OzarkOrigins