Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Going Ash Blonde Ombré. What do I need?

I'm total virgin when it comes to dye, I also have very long (aka old) hair.  I've ordered the DryBar Blonde Ale shampoo and conditioner to fight brassiness from creeping in.  Does anyone have suggestions for other products that would be helpful?

Im fair and cool toned with blue eyes and naturally brunette; what make up might compliment my new look?

Re: Going Ash Blonde Ombré. What do I need?

Hi, bharvey!

If you're looking color your hair, I would highly recommend booking a consultation with a local colorist or licensed hair care professional to speak about your goals. They will be able to analyze your hair at its current state and work with you in terms of getting you to the ash blonde ombre look you desire. 

If you're wanting to minimize any damage from the chemical process of coloring and bleaching your hair, please ask your salon professional about incorporating Olaplex into the processes. Olaplex is a three-step system used in conjunction with chemical processes for bleaching or coloring to keep the integrity of hair and thus decrease the inevitable damage that takes place. Your licensed hair care professional will be able to obtain it if you are adamant about its use. I've discussed how this system operates in the below if you wish to know more:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Black-to-ash-blonde/m-p/2680962/highlight/true#M9127...

After the chemical processing and you're back at home, the use of sulfate-free shampoos or cleansers will help cut harshness from the cleansing process. The use of a color neutralizing purple/silver shampoo (like the DryBar Blonde Ale) can help keep your blonde tones from becoming too warm or brassy looking, but feel free to also have a color-preserving shampoo and conditioner on hand as well. If portions of the ombre or the rest of your hair won't be entirely blonde, feel free to use just the Blonde Ale on portions as needed (that way you're not wasting product on areas of hair that don't require any color neutralizing). The use of a deep conditioning mask or treatment will also be beneficial to help infuse much needed moisture back from distressed strands. Certain formulas will contain proteins and amino acids to bind to regions that may be extra porous or damaged to strengthen them. Be sure to use a thermal protectant as well to accompany any use of thermal styling tools such as blow dryers, curling irons/wands, hot rollers, or flat irons. 

Feel free to also discuss after care with your salon professional!

In terms of makeup, what do you currently use or wear? Since an ombre involves multiple tones and shades, this will bring some dimension to your current hair color, but since it's not an all-over color process typically, you should still be able to wear what you currently enjoy without it being too altered by the change in your hair color. If you find that the lighter aspects of your hair is making you a bit more adventurous, listen to how you're feeling and pander to your mood when creating or trying new makeup looks. If you're able, visit your local Sephora for a complimentary mini makeover to try out a new eye look or sport a new lip color!

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing