liveinlovexx

Frizzy, naturally wavy, thick, color-treated hair! Need a new hair routine please!

(0) Hearts

HELP PLEASE!

I need to find a new hair routine. New Shampoo routine and what products to use. I usually straighten it, and the story and reason behind it you will find below. But I'd love to sometimes keep it natural, if it wouldn't look so frizzy and horrible.

I am typically very very picky and tend to never be happy with all things hair, and hate to buy and return.

I am curious to know if Ouidad would work good for me. I am afraid to try it because I don't have super curly hair. In fact, it used to be a lot more curly until I straightened it ALL the time.

I have thick, very thick, color treated, wavy hair. It's curly-ish when I put gel in it. But it always is frizzy and one side always looks better than the other. I usually straighten it because it does take hours to dry and when I straighten it I feel I don't have to wash it daily.

It's normal to combination hair, possibly a little dry at the ends and oily at the roots and fringe.

I would love ideas!

I am a bad girl though, I too towel dry and I also brush with a regular brush. I've tried not doing that though and it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference.

I have heard good things about a lot of products, but would like to hear your advice!

Thanks!!

TestingGirl

Re: Frizzy, naturally wavy, thick, color-treated hair! Need a new hair routine please!

(0) Hearts

embrace your freedom

krunce

Re: Frizzy, naturally wavy, thick, color-treated hair! Need a new hair routine please!

If you avoid towel drying, and brushing your hair while wet, you might not notice a difference right away, but your hair will. Your hair is really fragile while it's wet and doing both of those things lead to breakage that accumulates over time, and is probably exacerbated by your applying intensive heat to it regularly. So I'd try cutting those out entirely. 

You can replace them with using a diffuser to dry your hair; by putting your hair up in a towel-do for about 10 minutes to dry it a bit; or by using a wide-toothed shower comb (available in any pharmacy) instead of a brush.

If you want to style your hair curly, insetad of gel, which won't add moisture and will make your hair crunchy, try something like a very light hair cream/milk (very little of it), and a very very light hold gel. Aveda and Ouidad both will be good for you, and their products aren't just for curly heads, but for people of all curly styles.

lylysa

Oh, also, for wavy/curly hair, or even just hair that is prone to dryness and frizz, keeping an eye out for the alcohol in products is another step that can help!

The trick is to know which alcohols are good and which are bad. Ethanol, SD alcohol, alcohol denat, propanol, propyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol are all drying in excessive use since they help to cut down dry time.

Good alcohols are emollient and help to smooth hair's surface and include lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, steraryl alcohol, cetearyl alcochol, and behenyl alcohol.

liveinlovexx

I always use non sulfate and non paraben products, but never payed attention to the alcohol content! Thanks

lylysa

(0) Hearts

No problem, it can be quite a mix of things to look for in products. Some hair types might not be as reactive or bothered by alcohols, while others take to it and dry up quick. It's about testing out and determining what may or may not work personally for you.

Since your hair is color treated, opting for alcohol free or healthy alcohols can also preserve the luster of your color!

liveinlovexx

Thanks lylysa for this great reply! No I dont use heat protect spray or oil because it always seems to make my hair a mess! But I probably should be looking into something. And I will give that shampoo a shot, your hair sounds a lot like mine (probably more taken care of though ha!) and the reviews of the shampoo are great, so it sounds super hopeful, other than the manly smell ;P Which I am sure I can live with. (My hair really never takes on the scent of the shampoo's anyways!)

And, I know... I know. I need to stop towel drying and stuff, it's just so hard! My hair is sooo thick so it takes a life time to dry!

Well, thanks!!

lylysa

Oh gosh, the heat protectant will make a world of difference in your hair. Without using one (be it for blowdrying, use of a curling iron, or flat iron), you're essentially just laying hot plates that reach upward to 420 degrees on your hair as is and that's hot enough to cook a whole meal on!

Carol's Daughter has a macadamian serum on their page that is for heat protection and shine/managing frizz, but I think Sephora stopped carrying it online. Redken's Heat Glide also works well too. Depending on how long your hair is, with serums or oils, start with a dime sized amount and distribute it through hair per the below, if you need more, then add a couple more drops, it's easier to add to than to deal with too much from the get-go.

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

I literally just noticed you replied after posting a question about a good heat protector! Ha, guess I can give the redken a shot! I also didn't towel dry my hair tonight, baby steps! 

Thanks for all of your help, you are awesome!

lylysa

[ Edited ]

First things first, lay off products with sulfates. Sulfates are detergents/lathering agents that provide the visual effect of bubbles which we associate with "clean", but it also strips hair of essential oils and works to strip hair of luster especially after coloring. For hair that suffers from frizz and is also wavy as well as color treated, this can be counteractive to what you want.

Hair that is wavy or curly first off requires more moisture to preserve and keep its shape; however, it requires a special kind of moisture. This does not mean to just overload your hair with conditioner or some heavy mask, as that will just weigh down the shape of your hair and leave it limp and lifeless. Specialty products/brands designed for curly/wavy hair is formulated with lighter weight hydrators for more frequent use but still offers more rich conditioners for treatments to use periodically.

If you're worried about lines that might be designed for hair that is TOO curly, try Redken's Curvaceous line, which is made suitatble for wavy or curly hair. My hair is to my hips, thick, and wavy and I've been loving it so far. It's very light weight and the conditioner can be left in or rinsed out. They also have a variety of styling products to work with your hair texture and preference for formulas.

When you straighten your hair, do you use any heat protectant product? It would be very wise and heavily advised to do so, especially with frequent straightening. Look for a protectant serum or oil rather than a spray as thicker, wavy hair tends to do better with a slightly richer product rather than a light weight spray. Distribute product from the middle of the shalft to the ends to slightly closer to the roots, don't add product right on top of the roots as that will make them look greasy and take away body. Living Proof also makes a great straightening cream you can use to help additionally combar frizz and keep hair straight for longer to where you don't have to wash/straighten as often.

In terms of the try ends, look for repairative or richer conditioning masks (again, avoid direct application to roots, use it mainly where it's needed) like Frederik Fekkai's Shea Butter hair mask or It's a 10 Deep Conditioning mask which is rich in fruit extracts and oils.

As for the regular brushing and towel drying...STOPPPPP!!!! Using a regular paddle brush breaks up wave and only lends itself to frizz and hair drying in an unmanageable manner. Finger comb hair or while in the shower use a wide tooth comb (less stress on wet hair) to distribute conditioner evenly to work out knots and kinks. Use a microfiber towel to gently blot and pat hair rather than rub, which again, that friction will only break the wave apart and cause frizz, plus roughen up the cuticle of strands.

Depending on how often you color your hair, look into Phyto's PhytoCitrus Color Protect Mask, it's only used for the first week of washing after you color and helps to lock and seal in hair color for a more radiant and refreshing look, after the first week you go back to your regular conditioner and store it away for your next touch up.

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

Oh and I forgot to mention it seems to have more split ends these days too. I know I need to get it cut again to help with that, but just thought I would add that!

lylysa

Check out this link here where another poster asked about damaged/split ends:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/Unhealthy-hair-and-split-ends/m-p/458839/highlight/true#M1022

Depending on how wavy your hair is, you might ask if your stylist can cut your hair while it's dry as most curly/wavy haired girls tend to notice some "shrinkage" in terms of length when hair is wet since strands tend of absorb more moisture but once dry, relax. Cutting curly/wavy hair when it's dry will ensure you stay at the length you want. If you get your ends razored, be sure your stylist is proficient in the technique as razoring causings shears to work against the natural grain and cuticle of the hair, so if if shears are dull or the stylist isn't well versed, you could walk out with more damage.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • liveinlovexx
    • krunce
    • TestingGirl