ilene233

Fine Curly Hair

Hi,

I have fine curly hair that is shoulder length. What styling product can I use to prevent frizz but not weigh down my curls.

aroberts05

Re: Fine Curly Hair

(0) Hearts

Try Ouidad's Climate Control Gel. It's Amazing! I also dry my hair upside down with a diffuser.

fruitloop615

(0) Hearts

I have struggled for years with my curly hair and it took me awhile to figure out all the tricks of getting the perfect finish. It's hard to control frizz, define curls, get the right amount of volume and get it to stay like that all day all at the same time, but it is possible. From the sounds of it our hair types are fairly similar; fine, curly, frizz prone, possibly dry, and mine is slightly longer than yours so I know how hard it can be to achieve the voluminous curl look. Here are some of the products and styling tips that I've learned and maybe they will help you out.

If your hair is dry, like mine, you'll need to make sure your not using a shampoo that is stripping your hair of it's natural oils. I tried the sulfate free method for awhile but now I just use Dove, and while it does contain sulfates, I find it leaves my hair clean and soft after rinsing, not tangled and ratty. Because all hair types are different I would suggest experimenting with different brands until your find the right match for your hair.. I also use Dove daily conditioner+treatment and deep condition once a week with Dove. Again, it's all about experimenting, finding what leaves your hair moisturized enough.

For frizz control I prefer either Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk or Frizz Ease Serum. The results of using the smoothing milk are equal to the serum on controlling frizz, but will leave you with more volume and less shine in comparison. So it depends on what results you are looking for. I find with the serum it is still possible to get voluminous curls, just with my hair the curl pattern itself ends up much more tighter whereas the smoothing milk gives me fat curls. With either of these products I would recommend using right out of the shower after lightly squeezing out some of the water. I flip my head upside down and run my fingers thru my hair and this seems to give me more volume as opposed to when I would skip it. And then for volume I would say that Ouidad Playcurl Volumizing Foam is your best bet. I was sketchy the first few times I tried this, especially after seeing the consistency, but after some practice the results are way worth the $$ for this item.  Because my hair is so long, I use about 8 pumps on all my hair ( I split my hair into 4 sections and each gets 2 pumps ), but it doesn't leave residue or my hair looking greasy after drying. Instead of using the Ouidad "rake n shake" method (which does nothing for me) I just scrunch it into my hair lightly and then pile my hair up in a cotton tshirt for up to an hour which I find also adds more volume because when my hair air drys down the curl is much straighter and my hair is very flat.

For the most volume you can use a diffuser. Use the lowest settings to prevent frizz and fly aways and flip your head upside down to get volume at the roots. If your like me you wouldnt imagine using heat on your hair without protection and I find that Tresseme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer works best not only before heat, but also to refresh curls on 2nd, 3rd, 4th day styling, so it's really two products for $5.

Hope it helps:smileyhappy:

thecaramelapple

(0) Hearts

Hi Hun,

I have a similar hair type. Well actually, I have a LOT of hair, but the actual hair itself isn't thick in texture even though my hairs curly. When you feel the hairs themselves they are baby fine. If I don't blow dry my hair it dries flat. Too much product can weigh down my hair pretty easily. I can't go longer than two days without washing my hair. Sound familiar? The best product for you to help tame your hair but not leave it greasy is spray on leave in conditioner. Have you ever tried it? You will be hooked if you decide to. My favorite right now is by Kenra. It's not too expensive maybe around 14 dollars and it lasts awhile. Wash and condition your hair, and then apply a bit of spray to the ends and hair to help detangle and retain moisture without weighing down hair. Your hair dries more bouncy, it is protected from damage and frizz, and it doesn't feel like you have a ton of product left in your hair. KMS California is also a good one.

ginadepaul

[ Edited ]

I found Joico Curl Activator Revitalizing Spray . It works very well with curls and does not weigh it down.

artsyfi

(0) Hearts

I have INSANELY curly hair, and the humidity really brings out the frizz :smileysad: I tend to use the Garnier Fructis anti frizz serum. It is AMAZING for combating humidity, and is only about 5$ in most drugstores. Aside from that I use the pantene curly hair gel. You would think that the gel would wiegh down your hair, but it really doesn't for mine. I just throw a bit in while its damp, and it helps with frizz control during the day. Nobody can even tell that it's there. On occasion, I put some of the pantene curly hair hairspray in, and you don't even feel like you're wearing hairspray, plus it helps. So a combo of the three is great,  and I reccomend it.

maccam

(0) Hearts

WELLA CURL ENHANCING MOUSSE. I hate the stiff look that mousse sometimes gives me. This product does not do this at all, I have super frizz hair and this eliminates it all together. By far hands down best product ever used and I have tried everything from drug store brands to salon and this is by far the best.

ginadepaul

(0) Hearts

Thanks, I have medium hair and wavy hair that sometimes behaves to fall very wel and sometimes unshapely. SO this enhancing mousse sounds like something that wont weigh it down?

chkarin

(0) Hearts
I also have fine, curly hair and have been using Ouidad Curl Quencher for 4 years, it's fantastic. The conditioner and deep treatment are also favorites of mine.
blondeglam

(0) Hearts

John Frieda has some excellent hair products for our naturally curly locks. The price is good too.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi ilene233,

I definitely agree with Keely's suggestion. :smileyhappy: I have fine hair as well that is somewhat wavy and lightly curled. It's hard to find products that will smooth and define the curls without making them flat. I like to also use the Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Reactivating Mist because it is super light on the hair and never feels crunchy. Pair that with the Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Defining Creme (apply the creme first) and you will have a beautiful, frizz free and soft mane of hair! The creme is great because it is specifically for fine curls. I love these products! :smileyvery-happy:

Curl Conscious Reactivating Mist Curl Conscious Defining Creme

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
keelybt

Hi Ilene233.  I recommend trying Living Proof  Wave Shaping, Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Spray for Fine to Medium Hair.  It is made specifically for fine hair and will keep away the frizz without weighing down your curls.  Simply spray on towel-dried hair and style. :smileyhappy:
Wave Shaping, Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Spray for Fine to Medium Hair

lovesephora45

I think i will get this I needed something like this thanks

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • chkarin