Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Dry shampoo for red colored hair

I have seen many threads about dry shampoos and which are best for different scalp and hair type, but haven't found anything regarding thin, color treated, especially red hair.  If anyone has a recommendation I would love to hear it, including pointing me to an earlier conversation a missed.  Thanks for your time. 

Re: Dry shampoo for red colored hair

A loose powder is easy to control (hence rub in).  Mt favorite is Alterna, but Oscar Blandi is good as well.  The key is to apply it the night before.  Then, it will have time to be absorbed so you won't get that white look.  If you applied too much, then brush it through or blow dry.

thanks @greeneyedgirl107 I hadnt heard the night before trick, Ill try it with the aveda dry shampoo i have

So glad you had a chance to read my reply!  What you want to do is to use the dry shampoo the night before your hair will get greasy.  So, if you wash your hair on Sun and it gets greasy on Wed morning, then dry shampoo on Tues night.  A conservative way to use the dry shampoo is to use a blush brush.  Shake out some dry shampoo on a piece of toilet paper, and dip the blush brush into it.  Then, use the blush brush to apply the dry shampoo.  I use it half an inch from my roots, on the section underneath, and around my temples.

If you feel more brave, then you can shake it out with the nozzle and rub it in with your hands.  I wouldn't use the nozzle and squeeze the bottle along the roots, though!  Many directions say that, but I don't think that works well at all.  You can't control how much comes out, and it gets too much along the roots.

Hi buggirl,

I don't think we carry any dry shampoos that are specifically for red hair but my favorite is the Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk. It doesn't leave any residue so it's ideal for all hair colors and it's amazing at making your hair feel cleaner and fresher! Definitely suggest giving this one a try!

Stay Fabulous,
Zanna

@buggirl,

It's so good to see you back on BT!  🙂

Long time no see!  Welcome back!

thanks! Im trying to destash and no buy anything but we'll see how long that lasts!

Not sure specifically for red hair, although I have real dark hair so I need to be real careful of the residue and then pick my dry shampoo. My favorite so far is Klorane Oat milk, very easy to get off the residue. Drybar is "so so" but love the Drybar  "Dry conditioner" its the best! 

I prefer using my dry shampoo in the night so there "ZERO" residue in the morning. Infact when I have ran out of dry shampoo I tried 'baby powder' on scalp as my mother used it on my when I was little to absorb moisture on my head.. guess what,to my surprise "baby powder works the same miracle as dry shampoo!" just use it in the night. But I still prefer Dry shampoo as its easy to spray and go 😄

ill see if I can pick up a trial bootle and give it a shot, thanks 🙂

I also have color-treated red hair, though mine is extremely curly and probably more voluminous, and my two favorites are Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk and Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo [both below].  I apply, allow it to sit for about a minute, and then use my fingers to shake out any remaining product, since my hair texture makes brushing undesirable.  (For the record, I then follow with a curl-refreshing mist.)  I haven't had any trouble with either leaving any visible residue, but neither deposits any tint, like some other colored dry shampoos.

http://www.sephora.com/dry-shampoo-with-oat-milk-P395383?skuId=1649094&icid2=products%20grid:p395383

http://www.sephora.com/perfect-hair-day-dry-shampoo-P399330?skuId=1722180&icid2=products%20grid:p399...

Hi @buggirl!  I hope my experience will be helpful for you.  I have thin, dry, dark hair that falls out easily.  I've had the most success with Living Proof's dry shampoo. 

I spray it on, rub my fingers over the spots I sprayed, then I run my blow dryer on low speed over those same areas.  It actually "styles" my hair without me having to use any styling tools!  I know that may not be everyone's experience, but it works for me.

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing