Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Do you think professional/salon shampoos and conditioners are actually worth it?

Hello all!

I have been using drugstore shampoo/conditioners, nothing expensive or too fancy for pretty much my whole life. I have tried more expensive shampoos/conditioners but have never seen a significant change in my hair to fork over the extra money. It's funny because I spend a lot on styling products, but cringe for some reason over the high prices of salon shampoos! I think it's just because I want to make sure they actually do something for me. Do you all think that the higher end shampoo and conditioners are actually worth it? If so what do you like? Or what do you like from drugstores?

I have very thick, wavy, blonde hair that I wash 2-3 a week. Would love any recommendations!

Re: Do you think professional/salon shampoos and conditioners are actually worth it?

Hey there!  I may be a little biased but I've (almost) always used salon shampoos/conditioners.  Back when I was younger, my mother would buy Aussie (when she first started doing hair, Aussie was a salon brand!) but as I started colouring my hair we started bringing in the good brands.

My hair type would best be described as dry, fine color treated hair.  

Back when I was thirteen (I'm 24 now), I started using Redken All Soft which my hair likes the most. I typically only have to buy a liter every six months, and if I can get it at cost, it's only about $20.  If I'm in a pinch and can't wait for someone to make it out to a supply store, I'm spending $30. 

I've also had awesome success with Bumble & Bumble Coco Creme shampoo but that one is more expensive so I tend to stray.  Due to the fact I have a lot of blonde in my hair, I keep a purple shampoo on hand.  I like the Drybar Blonde Ale shampoo, which is so purple it stains my hands if I don't rinse it off right away.  That shampoo has saved me a trip back to the salon after my friend had toned my hair an awful blue/green shade to combat the brassyness.

My hair is SO dry, I don't use a regular conditioner.  I use the Macadamia Oil hair mask,which I can buy at Shoppers Drug Mart.  They have an awesome rewards program so that $30 price tag doesn't put me off, I can pick up something else from their more luxury section (like a clarasonic brush head or something more fun from the makeup world) and get at least $20 in points.   

Re: Do you think professional/salon shampoos and conditioners are actually worth it?

I've done a number on my hair going from ashy blonde to pink to blonde to purple/pink fade and now I'm back to ashy blonde again.

Prior to the dye jobs, I'd flip flip different OGX brand shampoo/conditioners and they worked just fine. I then switched to Lush shampoo/conditioner and it was definitely a step up from OGX (it could also be I finally switched it up as my hair may have gotten used to OGX.) 

After the dyeing, I've only used salon brands my stylist has used on me to stay consistent with bringing my hair back from the last unicorn hair impulse decision. Every few washes I use Fanola No-Yellow purple shampoo to de-brass my color and Fanola conditioner. Otherwise, I use the Brazilian Bond Builder shampoo/conditioner line and my hair bounces back from salon visits like they never happened. Highly recommend both brands if anyone's looking for a strong purple shampoo or a strengthening/softening combo.

@Shan1216

I agree with @k617 below.

I use only Sulphate free products on hair.  I do use a drugstore brand, but it is sulphate free and very good.  A lot of the other ones I rotate are salon brand.  But the ingredients (or lack thereof) is key.

When it comes to shampoo and conditioner, the ingredient list takes priority over the brand.

If I see sodium laureth sulphate or sodium lauryl sulphate, I put down the bottle immediately. Unfortunately, many drug store shampoos contain this harsh surfactant that wrecks my hair, but I do use a drugstore clarifying shampoo once or twice a week that is sulphate free and prepares my hair well for a moisturizing hair mask.

I also look for plant-based oils or blends that are beneficial to hair rather than just adding a layer of silicones to make hair FEEL silky.

I am currently using a Stemm shampoo and Alterna's Caviar anti-aging conditioner. This combo really works for me. I've been using the Alterna for a few years now, and probably on my 3 large pump bottle (one bottle lasts me a good part of the year).

I agree with some comments about hair color and highlights, etc.  I spend a lot to color my hair and Ive found a good purple shampoo can preserve the color and keep brassiness away.  My hair is also less straw like when I use a good shampoo, and since I have wavy hair...I have yet to find a good drugstore styling product that helps it look good without crunchiness.  I like Deva curl for styling products.  

I guess it depends on your hair, probably someone with no fussiness can use a cheaper shampoo and it works just find.  I find its about trial and error, and this is why I have many products in my cabinent that just sit because they s-u-c-k.

@makeupobesessed which deva curl products do you like? I just got their wavy hair shampoo and conditioner and like it but haven't tried styling products!

I think it depends on the brand and your hair.

My best friend once managed a salon, so I got to try a lot of spendy brands through her. None of the ones that I tried worked for me as well as Pantene.

Since then, I've fallen in love with Malin and Goetz and Fresh shampoos and conditioners. They work way better for my extremely oily hair than any drugstore or other high end brands that I've tried. 

I used to use a lot of drugstore shampoos.  If your hair isnt complicated and doesnt have many special needs, drugstore shampoos and conditioners can fit your bill just fine.  I really liked Garnier for smelling nice.  But I admit, salon brands have served my complicated hair well.

My hair is incredibly damaged from bleaching and coloring (I love fun colors, dip dyes, bright balayage, melts, etc) so my hair has some pretty special needs.  In addition to the damage, I have very fine hair but a LOT of it.  So it tangles at the slightest breeze.  I ADORE Sebastian products (volupte is my go to shampoo/conditioner combo and Potion 9 is my go to repair conditioner)  I love Bumble and Bumble for a clarifier with its sunday shampoo, and Aveda for a paraben free shampoo/conditioner (I'm not a huge fan of Aveda's scents though, they smell too herbal but they work very well)

Since a pay a fortune (well.. not a fortune but plenty) for color and highlights, I use salon hair products because they tend to preserve my color and protect my hair (which in turn, protects my investment in that salon color and highlights). 

My hair is naturally wavy so I like Deva Curl and
Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino Shampoo.  

Alterna is also good. 

I used to try to save a little by getting hair products on Amazon BUT a few times the product I received did not seem salon quality (Chi was one - I took it to my stylist - she smelled it and told me to throw it out.) - so because keeping my hair conditioned and vibrant is important to me, I use salon products that I can buy through Sephora.

Drugstore brands - Aveeno or Nexxus.  

These are my backup products - and what I buy (and usually leave with someone) when I am traveling. 

I have thick, wavy, frizz prone hair.  I use all salon products (except for shampoo) and they are all superior.  I think it just depends on your hair texture.  Try some at Ulta and Sephora and see for yourself 🙂

It sounds like we have VERY similar hair and I'm not loving mine at the moment. What hair products are you loving?

I think salon products rad much better, but if you don't have a lot of hair needs, drugstore works perfectly fine for shampoo and conditioner

Hair damage is not reversible. No hair products can change your hair permanently. Well-formulated shampoo and conditioner will temporarily improve the texture or appearance of your hair. But you will have to continuously use them to maintain the results.

Kerastase was my Salon brand. It is very good and especially their deep mask.

I think it is sold at Ulta and you collect points there.

Ulta sells Kerastase?  I'm off to hunt it down today when I pick up the Macademia oil!

I agree that higher end shampoos and conditioners make a difference, at least they have for me. I have oily roots and dry ends, all of my hair is dyed a natural dark colour with portions bleached out then dyed blue. 

I used to use drug store brands, pantene, herbal essences, some ogx. I switched just over a year ago to using primarily bumble and bumble's hairdressers oil and the alterna caviar. My roots are less greasy, my ends are smoother and my hair is softer overall.  I just spent 100$ on the jumbo size S&C from alterna and nearly had a heart attack doing it but my hair loves it. I've also found that I use quite a bit less each washing now compared to my drug store days.

I completely think higher end shampoos/conditioners are worth it! 

I use an Aveda shampoo followed by Pureology hydrate conditioner. Pureology is one of the more expensive lines but I believe it is worth it. You use way less and it makes your hair healthier.

With drugstore shampoos, sulfate is an ingredient. This strips out the oils in your hair. While it may lather much better, its not good for your hair. Drugstore conditioners usually have a form of wax in them that causes you to think your hair feels soft and healthy. But its really bad for hair. 

Changing up your shampoo/conditioner every fee months is also good for your hair. 

Hi @Shan1216!

I have lightened hair, which results in it being a little dryer and more prone to breakage.  I usually wash my hair 2x a week and mask on those days as well. Dry shampoo is my best friend every other day of the week so I need my shampoo to break down all that build up but now strip my hair completely and my conditioner needs to be moisturizing to combat the damage from processing. I've mostly stuck to brands like It's a 10 and Redken but recently have found a drugstore gem I think it's Garnier Whole Blends Honey?  Also I usually pick up jumbos of my favorite 'salon brands' when Ulta does their liter sales then fill travel bottles for better shower storage, It's a great way to save on 'salon brand':)

My sister dyes her hair and finds salon brand helps her color last longer before fading. 

I guess it really depends on what you want from your shampoo and conditioner. 

@StephaniLynn Thank you so much for your response! I also have lightened hair, forgot to mention that! What kind of mask do you use? That's another thing I've never really tried!

@Shan1216 I switch between a few top 3:

1. It's a 10 miracle 

2. Garnier Whole Blends Honey

3. Carols Dauggter Monoi

Sometimes I just drench my hair with coconut oil and let it sit then wash it out. 

Conversation Stats
testing