annonymous1

Dandruff?

(0) Hearts

i know, disgusting. but i've suffered with it for months! and i've been using head and shoulders which makes it worse, i also dye my hair black every couple months, but i use garnier oila (the one with no ammonia) does anyone have any home remedys or something? or better shampoo?

Kiki1517

Re: Dandruff?

(0) Hearts

When my scalp gets dry, I really like the Clear Hair & Scalp Therapy Shampoo & Conditioner. I buy at Target, but sure you can find it anywhere.

aviscardi

[ Edited ]

I thought i had dandruff as well in the winter but my hubby seemed to think it was just dryness from the cold. i have an oily scalp all the time so it was odd to think my hair was dry as well. I also got the head and shoulders but because my hair is fine and oily it would get weighed down. So I would only use it in the first wash to moisturize and then use my shampoo on the 2nd wash when i repeated. It seemed to help and now that its getting warmer its pretty much back to normal. I even stopped using dry shampoo because it was drying my scalp out. Also on the weekends i would take a nourishing shampoo like the head and shoulders and use just that or wen so that my hair can really soak up the moisture it needed.

Oh and ive also incorporated argan oil. On the nights when i know i am washing it the next AM, i would add some to my ends and even my scalp

kalex

I don't think you have dandruff.  Every winter I get flakes along my hairline and the first year it happened I thought I had dandruff.  Like you, dandruff shampoo made it worse.  I wore a hat to the salon, explained, and was informed that dandruff shampoos are made for oily scalps which is why they were making it worse and I likely only had dry skin.

She recommend Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree line and while I didn't dislike it I also never bought it again.  I've been using CLEAR shampoo (they make different formulas for different hair types) and I really like it.  It doesn't clear it up completely but makes it a lot better.

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

Head and Shoulders. It's nothing fancy but works so well! 

mkupgk

(0) Hearts

Try suave in rosemary and mint shampoo. It is amazing!! After a few uses I saw immediate improvement in my hair plus it only cost 3$ for a huge bottle (said my sister)

lylysa

The TSal products that Drrragon mentioned below utilize salicylic acid as well to treat dryness on the scalp to help with the removal and overall evening of the texture of your scalp rather than relying on zinc to treat the issue, which is the most common ingredient in dandruff shampoos.

Tea tree oil based products work well, but a simple home remedy relies on apple cider vinegar and water. Dilute the ACV with water (various online recipes will call for either a 50/50 mix or a 3 to 1 vise versa ratio depending on how strong you want the mix). ACV will help restore and maintain proper pH balance of your scalp. Pour the mix onto your hair/scalp and if possible, clip or pin your hair up and put a shower cap over it and let it sit for anywhere from 10-20 minutes then rinse.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i know it was bad dandruff before but now the dandruff is not as bad but my scalp and ears get itchy if i try and use anything else, i've even tried organic products but thank you all so much! i really think i'm gunna try the b&b products i love them, but does it make it oily? and thats good if its color safe :smileyhappy: thank you

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Is it dandruff or just dry scalp? I only wash my hair 2-3x a week max & in the winter I always get the oily dry patches. 

The Bumble & bumble Tonic Lotion http://www.sephora.com/tonic-lotion-P280530?skuId=1270305 really helped clear it up for me & it's safe for color treated hair. It has tea tree oil in it which can be drying if you over use. I just spray it close to my scalp after I've combed my damp hair out & massage it in for a few minutes. 

drrragon

Have you tried Neutrogena T-Sal?  It has different active ingredients than Head and Shoulders, so might be worth a try just to see if it helps any.  Yet another is DHS Zinc Shampoo, which has even a third type of ingredient.  All of these are great for helping with dandruff, but each one works in a different way.  It's possible that one of the three would work better for you than the others.

One thing you must do, whichever one you try, is to wash and rinse, then wash again this time making sure to keep the shampoo in for 5 minutes.  I know this is difficult to do (who likes hanging around in the shower with your head all shampooed up) but you need to give the active ingredients time to work on your scalp.  This step is very important.

keelybt

(0) Hearts

Hi Annonymous1 I have heard really good things about Phyto Phythéol Intense Anti-Dandruff Treatment Shampoo. It combines  soothing and purifying ingredients to relieve itchiness  and also eliminates and prevents the reappearance of dandruff.
swfupload_4754449064217617412.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/phytheol-intense-anti-dandruff-treatment-shampoo-P280715?skuId=1512276

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo is really good for clarifying and helping with Dandruff, but since it is a clarifying shampoo it will strip your color. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1