Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Damaged hair

Hello, I am in desperate need of some suggestions. My hair is naturally very dark, and past my shoulders. I get bored with it (like every girl does) and switch it up. I've had highlights, balayage, my hair bleached. You name it, I have done it. I recently got a wave perm.( I thought it was going to be a good idea for summer so I can just get up and go) It absolutely fried my hair. I am currently using Redken for my shampoo and conditioner. After the perm my hair needed some TLC so I purchased Mudslide by Drybar and it has helped some. Some parts of my hair are frizzy from the damage, and it just doesn't feel healthy anymore. The curls  from the perm aren't even there anymore, so I end up straightening or curing it everyday. I need a good everyday shampoo and conditioner to bring my dry damaged hair back to life. 

Re: Damaged hair

@Aliyah13 I recommend a moisturizing shampoo.  I like the John Frieda line, and use the Beyond Smooth with coconut oil in it.  For conditioner, I like DevaCurl One Condition.  Phytojoba is also excellent.  Neutrogena's Triple Moisture conditioner (the one in the tub, not the tube) is a great inexpensive one.  

Styling products will also help make your look better.  Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny is a highly recommend silicone serum.  Phyodefrisant is excellent for adding slip to wet hair, if you want a natural alternative.  I use both.

Hair oils will also go a long way.  My favorite right now is Matrix Oil Wonders in the Egyptian Hibiscus.  Alterna makes good ones from the Kendi Oil/Bamboo line.  Josie Maran's Argan Oil is also a favorite.

I also recommend washing your hair as infrequently as possible.  Use a dry shampoo for your roots.  

Finally, hair treatments should be part of your routine.  My favorite is the classic Ojon Restorative Treatment.  If you are looking for something easier, Phytonectar is also good.

In between washes, I also recommend using a wide toothed comb instead of a brush.

Best of luck!

Hi @Aliyah13,

I suggest washing your hair every other day since you've had it permed, and then using a co-wash in between the days you aren't shampooing. A co-wash is a great way to gently cleanse, while adding moisture back into your hair. I love using Drybars Double Standard Cleansing + Conditioning Foam. I have super fine hair, and this co-wash doesn't weigh it down one bit! 

I also suggest checking out a hair mask. I've used Briogeo's Don't Don’t Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask, which does make my hair feel a lot softer and silkier, although I wasn't a fan of the scent. There are a ton of hair masks out there, but I think using one once a week will definitely help!

Cheers!
Nikko

I've damaged my hair a fair bit over the years (dark brown going blonde). I've tried and loved the following:

Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask

Spoiler

Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask

Spoiler

IIRC the restorative one is for really really damaged hair. Unfortunately my favorite product (from a different company) doesn't seem to be available anymore but those 2 are good too.  Like Kat mentioned below make sure you buy from a reputable source. .Good luck!

Which Redken shampoo and conditioner are you currently using? My hair is very heavily highlighted and I've been using the Extreme line, it's worked wonders! 

Another amazing treatment is the Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus. I swear by that stuff. It is the greatest hair product I've ever used. Might be worth a try! 🙂

I'd also suggest using a heat protectant whenever you're going to use heat on your hair. I really liked Drybar's Prep Rally.

http://www.sephora.com/prep-rally-prime-prep-detangler-P411585

Product build-up can also accumulate, so using a good clarifying shampoo every now and again will help remove any product build-up.

save1.jpgI have been using this one.....And i like it, but I think with everything I have done to my hair it needs something more to get that moisture back in.

Oh no! Perms and hair lightener (bleach) do NOT mix well at all. You're definitely going to need more than a shampoo and conditioner. I would look at Brazilian Bond Builder, they not only have nourishing/smoothing treatments in salons, but they also carry shampoo, conditioner and a deep conditioning mask. They are a salon professional product so doing a little research on where you can find it is your best bet.

I would never advise you pick up any professional products on Amazon or in a store like TJ Maxx or Marshall's, so definitely purchase through the retailer. Other unofficial retailers typically carry expired product, so you're really just paying for a surfactant with no other additional properties. Surfactants aren't necessarily bad, but they strip the hair and don't provide any moisture. When purchasing a product like Brazilian Bond Builder (B3 for short), you're paying for the additional properties in that product. I use this myself and am platinum and it does wonders.

hmmmmm I have never heard of them, but I will definitely do some research and maybe give them a try. thank you so much!

My pleasure! Best of luck to you

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • save1.jpg
testing