weeeeweeeeeee

Cooling down curling wand

Ladies and Gents, I just got my first curling wand today and it works like a charm, but now I have a minor issue..

Once I am done with my curling wand, I turn it off, but what do I do while it is cooling down??

I feel so silly to ask, but I am afraid that it will burn and crack my fake marble counter top of my bathroom sink, and ruin my toilet seat and burn my bedding!

weeeeweeeeeee

Re: Cooling down curling wand

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all your suggestions! I realized that there is a little piece and two nubs that act as a stand, but it is tricky to get it to work because the weight is so unbalanced where the cord goes.

chupi

Put it in the oven.

oklady2013

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

If you don't have a special bag that came with the tool that say you can use it while the tool is still hot I wouldn't put it on a towel.  Most towel fabrics aren't heat resistant & could catch fire with an iron that hot.

I've also seen pads that you can set clothes irons on that might work but I've never tried them.

I personally use a tall heat resistant vase to put my curling iron in when it's hot. I do turn it off & unplug it before putting it in the vase. Just make sure it's tall enough to put your iron down in the whole or at least most of the way. Also that  the base is wide enough that it won't tip over

I hope this helps.

emmaclaire

Oh, and Folica has these great little heat-resistant/non-flammable pouches designed for stowing, protecting, and cooling heat tools - I got a bunch for free when I ordered a flat iron and curling iron, but I think they're under $10 to purchase separately.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

It's not silly to ask about this at all!  I second the suggestions made about silicone potholders or specialty products designed to allow any hot tools to cool safely.  If you decide to use something other than a special heat-resistant pad (which is what I would recommend most) please ensure that whatever you choose is non-flammable or it is very possible and perhaps likely that a fire could result.  An old towel is a particularly poor choice, because cotton towels are definitely flammable.  Think about it like this: there have been experiments that show that a dry towel will start to smolder and flame in less than a minute if you put it in the microwave - it only takes a few seconds, in fact.  That seems obvious - don't put a towel in the microwave.  It should be equally obvious not to put a 300+ degree heated styling instrument on a dry towel for any period of time.

tessie84

(0) Hearts

I store mine in a bag designed for hot curling/flat irons by Baggalini. I originally got it for those times I needed to style my hair right before leaving for the airport. You can find it at the Container Store under "Curling & Flat Iron Cover". I've had mine for at least 2 years, and it's been great.

veronika23

I have a special pad to set hot tools on. Something like the picture below.  Be careful though because some of the heat still goes through it...

1000x1000.jpg

JayReed

(0) Hearts

Where do you get these?! 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

You can get these at Sally's beauty supply

enableme

I stick it into my heat resistant glove that came with the one I bought. You can get them online separately too, I believe!

SallieSunshine

I bet you could find a really cute trivet that matches your bathroom decor! :smileyhappy:

ilovebears

(0) Hearts

Like some of the girls have mentioned below, I wouldn't set your hot tools on a towel.  I would use something that is designed for this purpose, to minimize the risk of fire, damage, or injury.  Many styling irons come with a heat-resistant mat, but if yours did not, you can purchase one from eBay or Amazon for relatively cheap. :smileyhappy:

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I don't own a curling iron personally, as don't curl my hair, but my mom did religiously when I was a kid and I burnt myself quite a few times. XD Anyway, my suggestion would be to find a trivet (those are the things you set hot pans on so that don't burn your table for anyone here that isn't savvy with the kitchen terms) that you can sit it on when your not using it. Even though most heated hair tools these days have stands, I think a trivet would be the safest option. You can get a simple clay one for a couple bucks at your local Walmart/Target or you could shop around for something fancy enough to double as a decoration. If you like vintage things, your local thrift stores will probably have some cute ones.

killahbabe

Please do NOT put a hot tool on a towel!

fire.jpg

andyhtrieu

I had no Idea that could happen. 

crayzeeRN

Lol, I was wondering about this when I saw two people comment about putting their iron on a towel... those things are 300+ degrees!

DTalksAll

Hmmm it didn't come with a mat or have an edge on it? I have the Sultra Bombshell and it's slightly raised and it came with a little cloth mat. 

Where do you keep it when you're grabbing section of hair? 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

I like to leave my hot tools on a thick towel while it's cooling. It doesn't cause me any problems. 

If your curling iron comes with a stand, which most do, it should be able to stand on it's own at a small angle. It shouldn't be touching the table directly. 

it should look like this:

images.jpg

Mariahk83

yes as mychoi stated, wands don't tend to have stands like an iron does!  Wouldn't recommend putting your hot tools on a towel to cool....thats a recipe for disaster!

mychoi

Wands and irons are actually different

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 44 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • chupi