wantsperfectskin

Conditioning Between Washes?

I have fine, highlighted hair, and not a ton of it. I try to wash my hair only about twice a week. While I do feel this is better for my hair, I have always wondered about conditioning it more often, on the days I don't wash, since my hair is damaged from the highlighting. However, after I wash, I also usually use leave-in conditioners and on rare occasions styling products. My question is, is conditioner still effective if your hair is already coated in leave-in conditioning products? I know you would obviously rinse it out first, but I don't believe that would remove all the leave-in, so I'm still skeptical this is even effective to condition without washing when you use leave-in products.

kirstensf

Re: Conditioning Between Washes?

(0) Hearts

I wash my hair once or twice per week, as my hair is naturally wavy and prone to frizz/dryness.  I'll stretch it out by using dry shampoo or just wearing my hair up.  I really like the Living Proof No Frizz Leave In Conditioner- I find I can use a little each day as needed and it doesn't build up too heavy.  Another option is using just a few drops of a favorite oil- Argan, etc.  This is great for nourishing the hair between washes.

greeneyedgirl107

(0) Hearts

I think it can work.  I would try a dry oil spray like Alterna's Kendi Oil, though, and not conditioner per se.

wantsperfectskin

(0) Hearts

I actually do use Phyto 7, but I still consider that a leave-in conditioner. I will try your tips though, thanks guys! Sometimes on my really hectic weeks (I'm in college) I only end up washing my hair once in a week, and that's where it gets to be like I feel like it's drying out a bit, since I may not be washing it which is good, but I'm also not conditioning, which is bad. So I will trial the rinse-and-conditioner on some in between days. 

knadala

(0) Hearts

Sometimes in between washes, I'll using a revitalizing hair mist. There are such a large variety of hair mists which can condition, revive, strengthen, and clean. Wen has a great one which I am currently using.

rosieroseg

I don't highlight but I try to wash my hair only 2-3 times a week. I DO condition on the off days despite using leave-in products on wash days. I find that conditioning/rinsing out in the shower keeps my hair in better shape than either doing nothing on the non-shampoo days or rinsing with only water. My hair is softer, less dry, less oily that way and it feels 'clean' so although it probably doesn't remove all the leave-in product, it just feels better (and not at all like there is too much product build up)! Give it a try.

missfawnie

(0) Hearts

If you're looking to keeping your hair healthy, sleek and shiny, I would recommend skipping the leave-in conditioner. Instead, you should check out the Phyto 9 Daily Nourishing Cream. I apply this to my hair- especially my ends- at night and it letting it work its magic overnight. 

I also use some hair oil after my heat protectant, and before I style, and that really helps too. 

lecia1167

Try washing it with just conditioner, too. I know it sounds strange, but it still gets your hair clean, and it's great for repairing your hair.

ace2021

(0) Hearts

I second this! I don't use shampoo on my hair and its gotten so much healthier. My mom even commented on how healthy and shiny my hair is nowadays and thats a big compliment coming from her. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • rosieroseg
    • kirstensf
    • greeneyedgirl107
    • ace2021
    • knadala
    • wantsperfectskin