Answer
caroline77
Colouring Hair at Home?
(0) Hearts

I've been wanting to dye my hair for a really long time and I'm not having a lot of luck. True, I have REALLY super dark hair (almost black) but I don't want to go through all the trouble of bleaching it. Is there any way I can do this inexpensively without having to do such? Products or techniques would be great. xoxo

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
lylysa
Answered

There's a lot more info that's needed before a definitive direction can be taken.

For starters, is you hair natural or have you colored it to the shade it is presently? Secondly, what color are you looking to change to?

If you hair is natural, it does cut down on the possibility of running into more issues as if you do decide to venture on a at-home process, you won't have to worry about lifting not just your natural color but also a previous chemical process already applied to strands.

If your hair has been color treated to be at the shade it is presently, you may face issues like a box color not lifting and depositing color evenly, clashing of undertones, and even a warped development in color due to the multiple chemical processes on the hair.

To be honest, if you're looking to do at-home color, you're safest bet will be if you're looking only to lighten 1-2 shades up from your natural color. This minimizes the window of error that will occur. If you're looking to go lighter than 1-2 shades, I would definitely advise seeking a professional service.

Regardless of what path you choose, why not book at least a consultation and get the opinion and know-how from a trained and licensed professional. There's no commitment to get colored that day, but seek plenty of answers to questions like:

-What process and steps are needed to get my color from shade A to shade B?

-Can this be done in one processing or will it require follow up visits to gradually and safely lighten my hair as to avoid damaging it as much as possible?

-What undertones and colors will suit my complexion, wardrobe, and preferences?

-How will maintaining the new color be, how often will I need to touch up?

It's important to factor those points in, especially when a professional can analyze the current condition of your hair and see whether or not it's capable to handle a chemical process and to what degree. Maintenance is also important, keep in mind that the more drastic the change, the more obvious it'll be once regrowth comes in and you need to decide whether you're able to budget aside for that, not to mention is your hair able to handle touch up processes so you're not overly damaging hair.

Question Stats
  • 8 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • lylysa
    • miabt
    • midnightangel
    • pinkonyx
    • snowshoe
    • caroline77