Answer
th3gard3n
Accepted Solution
Can anyone recommend a shampoo & conditioner for thinning/oily/fine hair?
[ Edited ]

I'm a 26 year old Caucasian transgender woman with multiple hair issues. My hair has always been oily at my scalp with dandruff/flaking but now I also have issues with hair loss/thinning (which is not typical for genetic women at my age). My hair is also pretty straight for the most part, fine and color-treated (naturally dark brunette dyed red) - I typically will not put any product in my hair after I shower and VERY rarely style it with a heating tool (blow dryer, curling or flat iron). I've used (and still use on occasion) Wen cleansing conditioner which is very gentle on my thinning hair (I don't notice much hair falling out when I cleanse with it) but I don't feel like I can go more than a day without having to cleanse my hair again due to oil build-up. I've tried multiple Carol's Daughter products because they are formulated with natural ingredients and exclude many of the harmful properties that Wen also leaves out of their products (Sulfates, Parabens, Phthalates, etc.) and am now using the Monoi Repairing Shampoo & Rosemary Mint Clarifying Conditioner. This shampoo/conditioner combo leaves my hair feeling very clean (free of oil build-up), soft and shiny but I have the problem of having about 50-75 strands of hair falling out (not breakage) each time I wash my hair every second day, aside from when my hair just naturally falls out on a day-to-day basis (maybe 20-30 stands that I notice). Does anyone with similar hair issues have a shampoo/conditioner combo that works well for them that they would recommend trying? Price isn't an issue as long as I find something that's effective. Thanks!

After reading some helpful responses to my issue/question, I thought I should add this to my post:  

I mentioned my being transgender as an indicator as to why I'm dealing with hair loss (as a genetic male). It's definitely just a natural testosterone interaction problem for me. Part of my hormone replacement therapy (prescribed by an Endocrinologist) includes antiandrogen drugs to combat my hair loss issues. However, I have noticed using different products such as Wen vs. Carol's Daughter Monoi Repairing Shampoo, for example, I have more fallout with one than I do with the other.  So, I was hoping to find a shampoo/conditioner that wouldn't give me as much fallout as I'm getting now.  

I included pictures so anyone reading would have a better idea of what my hair looks like.  The photo was taken last week so it's very up-to-date as far as its [my hair's] current state.

2013-02-21 08.43.38.jpg2013-02-21 08.45.39.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
melissabt
Answered
[ Edited ]

Hi Th3gard3n,

Your hair looks great and healthy in your picture. I love the color too. It sounds like you're on the right track, cutting back on blow drying and heat styling really helps the health of hair. I don't use a blow drier as much and noticed less fall out and dryness. I recommend that you continue to use sulfate free shampoos and conditioners because, it wont strip the hair as much.

Try using the Alterna Caviar Clinical Daily Detoxifying Shampoo, this shampoo helps clear follicle clogging dirt and oil and leaves your hair feeling really clean. (but not in a dry way)!

alternat.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/caviar-clinical-daily-detoxifying-shampoo-P309411&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-beautyad...

Remove excess water and apply the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Conditioner to the ends only.

alterna 2.jpg

Also, the Ouidad Biotin Lightweight Reparative Hair Serum is an amazing treatment to prevent breakage. It helps nourish the scalp and prevent fall out.

biotin.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/biotin-lightweight-reparative-hair-serum-P375621?skuId=145936&om_mmc=oth-bt-2...

I too have an oily scalp and in between washing I like to use the Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo. The small size is perfect to just throw in your bag!

dry shampoo.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/pronto-dry-shampoo-P254307?skuId=914101&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-beautyadvisorrec

<3 Melissa
MoreGun89
(0) Hearts
Have used the Biotin, it is AWESOME stuff!
th3gard3n
(0) Hearts
Melissa,

Thanks for the suggestions! Today I had begun to look into Alterna products and was leaning towards trying the "Bamboo Abundant Volume Shampoo & Conditioner," but your formula suggestions definitely sound more geared toward my specific problems. The serum sounds like a great addition to add on top of a normal wash/condition routine. I've tried the Ojon Dry Spray before and thought it was 'okay' but not fabulous - if the Oscar Blandi product works, that would be awesome for non-wash days. Thank you SOOO MUCH for the professional recommendations - I'll be going out tomorrow to purchase them all :smileyhappy:.
Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 13 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • melissabt
    • ChicDabbler
    • MoreGun89
    • th3gard3n
Photos6
  • 2013-02-21 08.45.39.jpg
  • 2013-02-21 08.43.38.jpg