Answer
SailorK
Can anyone recommend a good shampoo / conditioner for dreadlocked hair?

IMAG0275.jpg

Hello all!

My hair is super thick, and somewhat coarse. Some conditioners tend to be too heavy and leave a really gross film on my hair. Yuck - and on top of that, they don't really soften it, either! I'm definitely trying to avoid that, moving forward. 

I find that if I use anything other than an oil on my hair to keep it from drying out, it causes a lot of build up. With it being summer and all, my hair gets a lot drier than usual. The last time I was in a store, I got a sample of Alterna's conditioner (caviar, I think - it was in a dark purple bottle) and that seemed to work great! I wanted to know if anyone could recommend another conditioner (or maybe a shampoo as well!) that they think might help. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 7
missjr
Answered

First, your hair looks absolutely AWESOME!  I have a couple of friends who have dreadlocks also, and they swear by Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap, which you can purchase at most natural food stores.  They stay away from commercial shampoos, most of which have conditioners that will loosen your dreads over time.  They also recommend staying away from products that will loosen, detangle or straighten the hair.  A product line called Knotty Boy also makes great products especially for dread maintenance, including a dread conditioner that won't unwind the hair.

Essential oils that won't go bad when exposed to air are great for natural hairstyles.  Check out essential oils such as lavender, tea tree, mint, and jasmine.  While they cost a pretty penny, they are great for your hair.  Plus they smell heavenly!  Plus, the tea tree oil is great for itchy scalps.

HMNewbie
Answered
(0) Hearts

Wow...just wow.  Please understand that I am a middle-aged white woman so I have absolute no experience with AMAZING hair like yours, but until recently, I had great success on keeping my coarse hair in line with Macadamia Natural Oil products, especially the Healing Oil Treatment (which I used daily).  I did switch to the Caviar products, but I think my problem was hormonal/age related (ouch!).  Anyway, the Macadamia Natural Oil products are available at Ulta.  Unfortunately, Sephora doesn't carry.  They do have a super small travel sized bottle so you can try before you make an investment.  The bigger bottles can run up to around $40, I think.

veritabelle
Answered
(0) Hearts

OMG I have no idea, but your hair is beautiful!  

Wow!

nebel
Answered
(0) Hearts

Like veritabelle, I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful for your problem, but OMG YOUR HAIR IS AMAZING.  

<3 I'm sure someone will actually have a helpful suggestion :smileyhappy:

tallwoman
Answered
(0) Hearts

Yes!   Darcy's Botanicals has a large selection of products made for natural hair styles.  Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

starletta8
Answered
(0) Hearts

Sorry to say that I'm not helpful (thin, dyed red hair), but WOW your hair is incredible!!

You may want to check out Living Proof, or (sorry, not at Sephora) Aveda products.

JGSFLA
Answered
(0) Hearts

My friends says that Carols daughter products work amazing for her!

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • tallwoman
    • veritabelle
    • missjr
    • starletta8
    • JGSFLA
    • HMNewbie
    • nebel
    • SailorK