Answer
arielrebeccaaa
Brown Eyes, Light olive skin, brown hair to go lighter?
(0) Hearts

Okay, so I have naturally dark brown hair, olive toned skin (but im not really tan typically) and dark brown eyes.  My hair has been highlighted and slightly damaged and sunkissed so it's not too dark anymore its more like a medium brown with highlights.  I really want to go all over lighter but I'm not sure if I should with my skin tone and hair color.  I would love to be a super light brown or dark dark blonde.  My eyes have a little gold in them so lighter hair really brings them out( my hair used to be highlighted for so long that it was pretty light all over until i died it backdark :smileysad: ) however im not sure if i should go 'cool' or 'warm' toned or how light i should go.  I know a colorist could tell me but im still trying to convince my mom to take me plus shes also paying for it so she has to be gung ho too! so any help,tips, suggestions and what not will be so helpful and appreciated! thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 1
mebeval
Answered
(0) Hearts

Consider the "bronde" or "ombre" hair trends. Bronde is the perfect shade between blonde and brunette that was first made popular by supermodel Gisele Bundchen. Many natural brunette celebrities have gone the bronde route. It is credited for giving darker hair depth and dimension "without looking like you're trying to be the blonde you're not". I love the look on Giuliana Rancic, Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, and Jennifer Lopez. Ombre coloring has darker roots that blend into lighter hair mid-shaft. Some very cool ombre "surfer strands" have been spotted on model Lily Aldridge, Rachel Bilson, Jessica Biel, and Lauren Conrad.

Many online websites have "makeover" tools where you can upload a close-up photo of your face and digitally try on different hairstyles and colors. The optimal trial would be experimenting with actual wigs. Take photographs of yourself wearing the wig(s) in locations with different lighting (natural/outdoors, fluorescent/office, bright light/home, dark/evening). Many solons offer free consultations without any commitment- take advantage of this and ask your mom to join you. Bring pictures of the hair colors you are leaning toward when you go to the hair salon. Try to select pictures of models or celebrities whose skin coloring and natural hair color are similar to yours. Do not wear makeup when you go to the salon either (at least no "face" foundation, powder, or bronzer) as it can alter or mask your true coloring and leave you less than thrilled with the end result. Opt for a white T-shirt too. Ask your stylist to bring out swatches. First pick out the colors you are most drawn to and then hold them up to your face near a window where natural light comes in. Ask the stylist to help you determine which shades and tones work best next to your skin. Seek your mom's opinion too.

**I would involve your mom in the whole process. If she feels that you are serious about making a change, have done your "homework", and value her opinion, I bet you will have an easier time convincing her to take you to the salon and foot the bill. If all goes as planned, be sure to go out of your way to show how happy you are with the coloring and how appreciative you are that she supported you and wanted to make you happy. Even if the color is not 100% what you hoped for, think twice about complaining in front of her. By all means, speak up while you are at the salon if the consultation and coloring is headed in the wrong direction, but displaying disappointment once you leave could make your mom feel like she wasted her time and money.**

My personal advice for determining skin tone is pretty simple. If you look best in silver, white gold, or platinum jewelry and blue, green, pink, and lavender clothing, you probably have a cool skin tone. If you look best in yellow gold or bronze jewelry and earthy hues like orange, olive green, camel, and dark brown, you probably have a warm skin tone. Since your hair is already dyed, pull it away from your face and cover it with a white towel to ensure that the colors surrounding your face don't skew your results. Remove any makeup and wear a white T-shirt. Stand in natural light facing a mirror and hold up a variety of fabric colors next to your face. See which fabrics light up your complexion and which will leave you looking drab and lifeless.

You're likely a "warm" if you have golden, olive, tan or dark skin and brown, green, or dark eyes. "Warm" women tan easily and the veins in their inner wrists are green. Darker skin tones tend to have warmer undertones like olive and gold. Warm skin color can be topped with blonde, brunette or red hair- it's more about finding the right shade of your chosen color. Look for shades of gold, bronze, and warm yellows. An "autumn warm" is typically a brunette or redhead with a darker eye color, such as Natalie Portman and Jessica Alba. Do you gravitate toward any of their hair color choices? I would use their "looks" as references. How about Jennifer Lopez? (A "spring warm" is characterized by auburn, strawberry blonde or golden blonde hair. Hair color is generally lighter and may include light blue or green shades. Lindsay Lohan has a "warm spring" skin tone.) There are some women with olive skin undertones who look good in any color (think Linda Evangelista or Gwen Stefani).

(I doubt that you have a cool skin tone. You're a "cool" if you have fair skin and blue or green eyes, you burn before you tan, and the veins in your wrists run blue. Fairer skin tones tend to have more pink and cooler undertones. If you're confused because you sometimes burn, sometimes tan, you likely skew warm. If you are a cool shade, avoid hair colors such as gold, auburn or copper. They will only highlight the ruddiness of your skin tone. Ash blondes and cool browns work best.)

Since you have naturally dark hair, keep in mind that light hair will probably be high maintenance for you. Also consider the current health of your hair and your daily hair care routine- how often you wash your hair, use heat styling tools, are exposed to the sun/chlorine, wear pony tails, etc. Drastic hair color changes can be both expensive and damaging. Since you mentioned that your hair is already slightly damaged, I would proceed with caution and seriously consider switching up your haircut along with the new color to clean up any breakage and showcase your new amazing color. Brittle and broken hair looks bad no mater what color it is.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck! xx

Question Stats
  • 1 answer
  • 0 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • mebeval
    • arielrebeccaaa