andie0727

Best shampoo, conditioner, and products for thick, wavy, frizzy, blonde hair?

I have very thick (at least for a blonde) hair.  It's wavy, frizzy, and seems to break easily.  It tends to be more on the dry side.  Does anyone have a good idea of products I should be purchasing to keep it soft, smooth, and happy.

Also, I know that with drier hair I shouldn't wash daily...but then my dry scalp itches like crazy all day long.  Any ideas? 

Lately I've been using Healthy Sexy Hair Shampoo, but it builds up really quickly in my hair.  I need something else.

lylysa

Re: Best shampoo, conditioner, and products for thick, wavy, frizzy, blonde hair?

(0) Hearts

Check into these threads that are packed with tons of info from washing/conditioning, styling, thermal protection, and overall tips for maintaining and enhancing curly hair (everything from how to properly brush/comb to the types of drying alcohols in styling products to avoid):

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/MIRACLE-SHAMPOO/m-p/438827/highlight/true#M873

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/Frizzy-naturally-wavy-thick-color-treated-hair-Need-a-new-hair/...

anaa

Re: Best shampoo, conditioner, and products for thick, wavy, frizzy, blonde hair?

(0) Hearts

I like Deva products too, but for the combo of itchy scalp/frizzy and fragile hair, I find a shampoo by Ouidad called Ultra Nourishing Oil works really well. I sometimes use it with a Deva conditioner, or one from the Ouidad line.  I definitely try to go as long as possible between shampoos though.  Corrina777 your hair looks awesome so I may give your recommendations a try!

BiggeSmalls

(0) Hearts

I also have crazy wavy hair, like out of this world & what I like to use is Mixed Chicks! There amazing for hair like that, check them out, try it out & see if you like it!

Hope I helped :smileyvery-happy:

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

definitely use Wen, its sulfate free as well.

Corrina777

It sounds like you definitenly need more moisture and probably more protein.  

Have you considered the Curly Girl method?  Although I no longer follow it 100%, I can say that it absolutely saved my hair.  Basically it involves eliminating sulfate and silicone products from your hair routine.  

People have varying thoughts on daily cleansing, and it really comes down to what works for you.  I have cleansed pretty much daily for years.  But I also use as gentle of a cleanser as I possibly can most of the time.  For that reason, I'm a huge fan of cleansing conditioners.  My two favorites are DevaCare No-Poo and Curl Junkie Daily Fix, but if you have a Sally's nearby, As I Am and Eden Body Works both have co-washes that are a bit less expensive.  If you need something a little stronger, Deva and Curl Junkie also have sulfate-free shampoos, which are super gentle.  Here are my before and after pics, to give you an idea (after pic was about 3 years later)

121907 011.JPGavatar pic.jpg

krunce

WOW your hair looks fantastic! What a difference!

I'm also a huge believe in DevaCare No-Poo, and teh difference it made in my hair was also palpable. I really don't have photos to document the before and after, unfortunately.

So, a note about daily washing, itchy scalp, and shampoo build up.

From what I know, if you wash your hair daily, and do it with the same shampoo, all of these things are inevitable. If you wash extremely frequently with teh same shampoo, it is bound to build up really quickly. And, if you wash daily and suddenly stop washing daily, your scalp will be itchy. If you wash daily, you're stripping your scalp daily, and so it's always irritated and is over producing sebum. To get it to stop over producing sebum, you're going to have to spend about 2 weeks suffering through the itch.

On the other hand, for me (I wash my hair once a week, on average), my scalp is itchy immediately after washing my hair, and I use No-Poo. My scalp is conditioned to produce oils very slowly because I don't wash frequently.

Washing infrequently is good for your hair no matter what texture, I think. So it's worth the 2-week hump of oily scalp. Give it a try. It should really help with the brittleness.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • anaa
    • andie0727
    • lylysa
    • krunce
    • tashalicious
    • Corrina777