seekayy

Best kind of curls while still retaining hair length?

(0) Hearts

I want curls or waves for prom but I want my hair to still look long. What are the best types of curls to keep length?

melissabt

Re: Best kind of curls while still retaining hair length?

(0) Hearts

Hi Seekayy,

I know what you mean too. I have long hair too that has a lot of layers. When I curl it my hair looks so short! I agree do not do tight curls and have the curls more concentrated at the bottom like DannyC's picture:smileyhappy: Also use a smaller barrel.

<3 Melissa
DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I have long, thick, straight hair & curl it often. Invest in a good clip-less curling iron. I've been using the one by sultra for years & love the results I get. When I use a normal curling iron I can never get the curl to last. 

So it's a good idea not to wash your hair the day you want to style it. 1 or 2 day old hair works best. Spray your hair with a heat protectant first! Then section your hair out. I like to start in the back, underneath first and work my way up & then to the front. (Hard to describe, but I start with 4 section; 2 in the back and either side of the face. And then grab smaller sections from each of the 4) I hold it vertically (cord facing up) & wrap my hair around it away from my face. For curls I like to twist the hair as I wrap it, for waves I wrap it flat. 

To finish it off I lightly mist it with the Alterna Kendi dry oil spray for shine. If I use too much hairspray it get's dry and falls flat quickly. To keep the curl and reduce the "poof" at the ends, I don't brush it or rake it with my fingers. 

Watch youtube videos for tutorials. I found it helped when I first started curling it. And practice a few times if you can. 

IMG_1235.jpg

(This picture was taken after spending hours at a club) 

keelybt

[ Edited ]

Hi Seekayy To keep the length, a looser curl will be better.  I know exactly what you mean.  I love my long hair and I love it even more when its curled, but you do end up having to make a compromise.  I'm not sure what type of style you have in mind, but usually I curl my hair with a 3/4in barrel curling iron and then gently brush through the curl or finger comb it to loosen it up.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm so confused. (other post) You want curls or waves to reduce the volume of your hair? curls/waves are used to make it look like you have more hair as far as I know, so if you want less hair, you should try a straight layered cut. (this post) unless you do really big/tight curls, I think your hair would still look pretty long (since you mentioned it's at middle of your back). If you want it to retain it's length, big soft curls near middle/end or waves will do.

seekayy

(0) Hearts

Haha sorry for the confusion. I want waves or curls for prom but I want a style that won't poof out too much at the bottom because I have so much hair. When my hair gets all voluminous on the bottom it makes it look like my hair is shorter. So I meant like hold the barrel vertically? Horizontally?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • DTalksAll
    • melissabt
    • ChicDabbler
    • seekayy
Photos1